Mag Lux V mod

ianb

Enlightened
This is my first mod, I'm mostly just pleased that it works! :) Its a...

Mag 2D body and head
Lux V WW0T
McR-45 Reflector
Downboy 750mA converter
6 x NiMH AA Eneloops ~8V
H22a Heatsink (very simlar to Hotlips)

The main motivation of all things was seeing H22a selling lux V heatsinks! I had a Mag 2D I had bought as a PR based SMJ LED host( good excuse ;) ) and thought, 'why not?' I like Lux V lights (my first light I really saved for was a Surefire L6 and I have had good associations since :) ).

The first problem I came across while making it was I had to move the heatsink inside the body because of the length of the McR-45(used because I love my HD45). So instead of the heatsink sitting with a lip around there edge at the top I had to sand and file this off so it would move about 15mm inside the body.

Next I received the reflector, is was a fairly good fit into the Mag head, only requiring gentle sanding.

The next part of the adventure was learning to solder :D, with the aid of a new soldering iron(Weller WTCP51) I got to practising. I was sure at one point I'd screwed the tiny little converter board, but they are obviously made to put up with newb's like me :). **As an aside, I was a little stupid maybe, but you should have seen my face when I opened the bag holding the converter :huh: , how small they were!. I thought they were about twice the diameter**

Another problem was that as I was lowering the heatsink I had to cut down the switch and original bulb holder, removing the spring loaded mechanism and cutting down the plastic tower to leave room for the converter and heatsink.

I kept the switch and soldered from this to the downboy and through the heatsink to the WW0T.

I had a wait for a couple of days for epoxy and was keen to see if it worked, it did nicely, but I left it out and I think my daughter must have played with it for quite a while as next time I wanted a quick peek :thinking: nothing? Sadly that was the end of the lux :( , luckily I'd bought 2 :)

Today the epoxy came and now I have a complete light, the plan was this to be a glovebox and possibly infrequetly used light so I got some Eneloop as they hold their charge well. I got an 8 x AA holder as there wasn't a 6 x AA for sale at the time, so I soldered a wire across 2 to allow use with only 6.

The head showing McR-45 and WW0T

The heatsink lowered into the body

This shows very roughly the beam, ceiling shot from about 2 feet

The battery pack

I had originally wanted to do a Royal Blue lux 5, I got that together and it was really impressive, but I swopped out for the WW0T as that would be more useful. I am going to get some more hosts and plan some more colour Lux V mod's(Royal Blue, Cyan, Green)

Thanks for looking, I'll try and get some beamshots tonight,

Ian :)

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ain't life grand.
Good job looks like you will be spending some time and money here just like the rest of us.
C:thumbsup:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job on your LuxV Mag! :D
I have one that uses the WX1S, hotlips and nFlex board but I use the stock cut-down Mag reflector. The McR 45 looks great! Now to see those beamshots with the McR to see if I should try to keep up with you.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag Lux V mod **Beamshots at bottom :)**

Nice pictures too Ian:goodjob:

At the pic with your HID, everybody can see, how usefull 2 brightness levels are:whistle:

(About the specs: The batts in series with about 8V should have only 2ah)

Best regards

____
Tom

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice mod. I should try that McR-45 Reflector.

one question
why would you want to only use 6AA instead of 8AA? I thought DB can handle up to 16V input voltage, so you can safely use 8AA, and get more runtime at that. I understand the reason if you cannot fit more than 6AA in the mag, but other than that, why?

ianb

Enlightened

shiftd said:
one question
why would you want to only use 6AA instead of 8AA?

When I was ordering my downboy, I was told from the shoppe not to use over 9v, was this right?

Also long John, so what would the A's be? (6 x 2A Eneloops, 2S3P? so 4Ah?)
Interested and happy to be told I'm wrong, I just don't have a full understanding,

BentHeadTX said:
...that uses the WX1S, hotlips and nFlex board but...
where can I find out about these?

thanks, Ian :)

Last edited: