I need much info on HEADLAMPS please.....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am a flashlight junky. I have alot of questions. I like to rant. There was some talk about the production of Streamlight Ultra Stingers being halted. This is correct, they will start up again in February. Apparently there is a "reflector" issue. The current "reflector" is not generating the advertised 75,000 candle power. Streamlight says that the Ultra Stingers on the market right now, do NOT have defective reflectors. Yea, right! If that was the case then why are they re-designing the reflectors? Why has production halted for three months to cure this issue? The Super Stingers are now discontinued. What will happen to the SL20X? hehehe....

Someone was comparing the Streamlight Pro polymer 4AA against the Princeton Tec 40? Well the Pro Polymer is awesome! I have all three different Pro polymer models. The 4AA Streamlight is rated at 6000 candlepower? It is damn bright for it's size, battery + weight. Much brighter than the Tec 40, I also own two Tec 40's. The Tec 40 has a tight focus, solid little beam but nowhere near the candle power of the Pro polymer. Probably because of the Xenon bulb versus the pathetic obsolete PR bulb. I actually prefer Halogen bulb flashlights.

Princeton Tec and especially "PELICAN" are huge disappointments. I have some Pelican lights. Their true candlepower is way over-rated by "Pelican" themselves by at least 300%. I hate False Advertising.

Surefires by Laser Products are bulb sensitive to drops/impacts. I have tested all of them. I own the Streamlight Scorpion, nice light but I don't like that rubber casing. I would prefer metal or hard plastic. That rubberized stuff is hard to slide into jean pockets. Rated at 6000 candle power, damn bright. I hate lithium disposable batteries. At an average of $2.50 per unit times two units = 1 hour of use. For me that is a minimum of $30.00 per week. I cannot understand how lithium powered lights got so damn popular. Battery cost for me would be beyond reasonable. For me it's either alkaline or rechargeable Nicads/NiMH. I was about to buy a 8x411 or a 8NX Commander. Not now, after testing both of them personally.

I am currently looking for the best HEADLAMPS on the market. I was really interested in the "Petzl Megabelt" Halogen Zoom. I read some unfavorable reviews on the net, kind of turned me off. Streamlight makes some cheap "headlamps" as does "Pelican". Maybe, I will just stick a Stinger in a Velcro head band and be done with it?

I don't know what the member count is here, but the traffic needs to increase in order to maintain interest.

I need all "headlamp experts" to guide me.

Thanks.

------------------
Seen any Martians?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Petzl and Wheatcap is it. There's a brand used by coon hunters that's supposed to be good. But I can't remember the name of it.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have had quite a bit of experiace with petzel head lamps. I bought the mega 5 years ago, used it a lot. I wire that runs from the battery case to the lamp was some what troublesome (I eventualy replaced it). The battery case would sometimes need to be taped tightly to keep good contact with the batteries. There tends to be some flickering that is annoying to read by. But over all I love it. Very comfortable, economical to run, the convertability from C to AA is great, it has gotten me out of a couple of jams. For most situations the brightness is quite satisfactory. I rarly feel the need to use the halogen bulb, except when night skiing/biking/showing off. With the standard bulb and 3 C cells Petzel claims 30 hours run time, I can not dispute nor confirm this. I recently got the new Mega with the long cord and the clip. This is not a stable on the head nor as comfortable. I has the same performance as the old one. I have not neeeded to do any repair/modifications to this light, altho I worry about the durrabiltiy of 4 ft of wire. I like to have the option of clipping the battery to my belt, but the cord is a little short for that and tends to get in the way. So, great concept, not the greatest execution. I have palyed with the Petzel zoom. Nice light, basically the same as the Meag, with a differnat battery case. Can't run C, which I preffer to do. Would like to play with one some more. I don't like any other had lamps out there. I like the battery pack to be on the belt or the back of my head. I dont like the batteries up front. It might be ok if it is 2AA's, havent tried this yet. I also must have a light with and adjustable focus. They are easy to turn on and off, even with heavy mittens. The princeton tecs appear to be one focus and harder to turn on and off. Altho they are probably much more water proof. I hope that this helps with your decisions. I can anser specific questions too.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Is "brightest" your definition of "best"? If so, use a Niterider Headtrip or Digital Headtrip (or the new Predator metal halide lamp) with the Explorer headband. The NiMH battery packs are flat and carry easily in the pocket and the lights are 10W or 6/10/15W or equivalent of 40W, in the order above. The units are water resistant (waterproof? Niterider makes diving lights too) Run times are 2.3 hours, 1.5-3.2 hours, and 4 hours. They're not cheap though; the Headtrip runs around $140, the digital Headtrip is about $180-$200, and the Predator is $370. Plus the headband is $30. www.niterider.com has more information.

If you're interested in an LED headlamp, I like the Petzl Tikka even though it's not waterproof.

gm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I looked at the Niterider headlamps, way too expensive. I am already upset about shelling out the clams for the Petzl Megabelt.

Streamlight makes three different headlamps. They look nice.

Pelican makes at least one headlamp. It also looks very nice.

I do have a velcro "head band" made for holding a small flashlight like a Stinger.

Again the (4AA) Pro Polymer is incredible. I luve mine. The Tec 40 is barely okay.

What is the candle power on the Halogen bulb fitted (3C) Megabelt?

Anybody have a "Pelican" or "Streamlight" headlamp?

Thanks.................

------------------
Seen any Martians?

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by NiMH on 01-13-2001 at 09:35 PM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
In my experience of SureFire, I've never had a blow or fragile lamp.

The M3T, M3, M6, M2 are tough as. I've tried and failed to break the N2 Lamp in the M3T.

The New M2 with shock absorbing system (S.A.S.) is the toughest metal flashlight I've ever used. It's taken some nasty beating as part of my on-going field-testing and I have not broken or damaged it or the Lamp Modules yet. I'm getting the impression that I'll have to dent or break the T8 Al before I break a Lamp!

My experience of Pelican StealthLites is one of the toughest flashlights I've ever used. I know they're not as bright or white as some other 4AA lights, but the beam is pretty tight which I like.

I get DL123A Ultras pretty cheap - maybe $2 in bulk. I'm getting a 10X rechargeable as soon as they're released.

I hope you find the headlamp you need.

Alastair