Is the Kroll the only tailcap switch available for a mini-mag?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
welcom to cpf!

there is also another switch called the ram tailswitch. the quality isn't as good however.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks and thanks!
Could you post a link where they're available? I can't find them on the web.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, while posting, i was looking for a link i could post...i couldn't find one either
shocked.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

sorry
frown.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Groovy, thanks. So, the general opinion is that the Kroll is higher quality, even though it's plastic?

CiTY

Enlightened
I personally have not experienced the Ram switch, but the Kroll is covered with a rubber boot as the Ram is not, making it more water resistant, I think. And maybe more reliable. Some people like the tactile feedback feel of the Ram. So far, there is NO perfect switch.

Darkaway

Enlightened
shankus,

I you ever venture into the San Fernando Valley try Fry's Electronics in Burbank. I saw the Ram switch there for $5.95. I almost bought one only because I have several Krolls and I wanted something different.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I had a Kroll switch on the MiniMag/MadMax I carry on my belt at work. Almost every time I sat down, the switch would come in contact with the chair and turn the light on. The light was on my right side in a Mag holster. I put a Ram switch on and that problem went away. The Kroll "feels" a lot more robust that the Ram but I have had no problems with the Ram yet. The Ram is a little hard to activate with winter gloves on. I have a Brinkmann/MadMax at home and like that switch better than the Kroll or Ram. When I get around to buying a Brinkmann holster I'll replace the MiniMag at work with another Brinkmann 2AA Legend.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the thumbs up for the brinkman lights. I have 3 modded brinkmans now and they are great. A 3AA LGI2 and 2 2AA mods, one with a BB500 and one with just a single LED. These are high quality lights. I personally prefer them to the alternative. I've had exactly no trouble with their clicky tail switches. They are big, they lock off so that they can't come on in your pocket or bag and they are easy to turn on or off with gloves on.

The only downside is that they are wobbly if you try to balance the light on the tail cap. It can be done, but it's not nearly as stable as candle mode in a mag.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the RAM and the Kroll.

I ordered the Kroll from brightguy, and the RAM from outpost.com

Some observations:

The kroll is mostly plastic, with a nice rubber cover. You have to "push" the rubber coller into the base of the light as you are screwing it in, otherwise it does not fit in neatly. After installation, the Kroll feels very solid. You loose the flat end to stand the light upright with the kroll.

The RAM is all Aluminum with a plastic red "eraser sized" clickie switch. The switch is very soft (almost no restistance) to turn on, a cheap clickie pen has more restance.

My first RAM did not work. Others here have had similar failure rates with the RAM.

The Ram CAN stand on it's tailcap without turning on or off the light.

The replacement RAM tailcap did work, and works great to this day.

I left my light with my kroll laying around one day, and my dog found it, and chewed up the kroll portion of the light.

Do a search on Kroll and RAM TAILCAP to read more about these here on CPF. They have BOTH been discussed at length.

They are both good, but not perfect, and my two Opalec Newbeams have one RAM and one KROLL.

I would much prefer to use the tailcap that comes standard on a Brinkmann. (No, the tailcaps are not switchable, the threads are slightly different.) Overall, I much prefer the Brinkmann Legend AA, but that is a personal preference, as the mag is a very well built light also.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info.
I have read some in the forum here, that a couple of people have put brinkman legend switches on mags, with some minor filing.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Another vote here for Ram. I got mine at a Frys location here in Houston. It's on my Madmaxed M!n!m*g. It rides in an original holster on my right hip. Only time it has turned on accidently is if I hook it on the seatbelt buckle when getting in my truck. I have to reposition it anyway to buckle up so no biggy.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I think I'll go with the Ram until I can get a brinkman and try to make it work. I'm kind of wasteful in that way, but hey, the customer needs to be happy!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I just drilled all the way down to my first post, it was this thread.

After over a year, there is still no perfect mini-Mag switch. I still exclusively use Krolls on my mini-Mags. And I still have the first one, too. So, they're a good value, lasting at least a year, huh?

jhereg

Enlightened
Re: Is the Kroll the only tailcap switch available

You can also remove the tailcap from a Quest 2AA light & attach it to a Mag AA. I had to remove the very top of the threads but it works well. ****'s had the Quest lights 3 for $7.50 last time I was in there.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

www.cdnninvestments.com has a AA made by Oracle for $2.99. The click switch fits and works fine on minimag. Looks funny, tho.

CDNN is good to deal with, but $10 shipping no matter size of order.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I seem to remember, that the problem with the Ram switch was that it would break if you tried to screw it on the MM with the Ram TURNED ON. I went through several Rams befor I figured this out.....no problem sence.

Latest posts