members i need your imput.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
Hi guys id like to post this and ask y'all what y'all think.
what should i do for a guy who bought a m-3 from me in the beginning of July,on BST, i shipped the light off to OZ on July 11th, i didnt promise any special shipping , but i sure never expected the time to get to him to be from 6-12 Weeks's as of today he still has not received it,(6 weeks) he has not been rude or demanding any way, he got a damn good deal on a like new m-3 but i feel bad and embarrassed that its taking so long to get to Australia, what do y'all good people believe would be a appropriate gesture on my part to make it up to the buyer? i really feel for the guy, i never in my wildest dreams thought it would be this long, i sold the m3 for $190. usd.
I appreciate any input , thanks................mike.........EDIT////// IT WAS SENT USPS ECONOMY LETTER-POST...i dont think its missing, just its taking way longer then i thought it would/should, ..he has been told by co workers in Australia That it might be 8-12 weeks, if i had known that i would have shipped a different method ,the post office told my girlfriend(actualy shipped it for me while i was at work) and tried to save some money ,like i said i dont think its missing.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
What shipping did you use for this person ? 6 weeks is awfully long for anything to get to Australia. Generally normal airmail should make it within 10 business days. I guess the way i would respond would be determined by what conditions were laid down during the transaction/payment process. If i didn't explicitly state it wasn't my responsibility soon as i shipped it at the post office...i'd probably consider a refund of some sort. However if i did hrmm...then it'd depend on the mood i was in lol ;) (small refund, donation to CPF on behalf of them , nothing ?).

If it's taken 6 weeks already and you used airmail or better, it's most probably a write off by now :(

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have had a lot of stuff shipped from the US, best time just under a week, longest about a month, average as Delvance said 10 days.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
How did you ship it?

If you sent it 'Economy (Surface) Letter Post', six weeks is normal and it should be there any day now.

If you sent it 'Airmail Letter/Parcel Post' or 'Global Priority Mail', you need to go to the PO and have them start a trace on the package.

If neither of you specified which shipping should be used, I think you owe him nothing more than an apology for not realizing Surface/Boat is pretty darn slow (if that's how you sent it).

Inquiry Center

Last edited:

atm

Enlightened
ksbman said:
If neither of you specified which shipping should be used, I think you owe him nothing more than an apology for not realizing Surface/Boat is pretty darn slow (if that's how you sent it).
Agreed. If it was me waiting for it, I'd give it a bit longer seeing it's going by surface mail.

It's good of you to be concerned about the wait though, and nice to know he's not getting upset too.

Andrew

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once airmailed something to Australia which the buyer received four months later. There's sometimes a disconnect between the postal systems of the two countries.

liqht

Newly Enlightened
having been on the receiving end of this situation (or rather, the "non-receiving" end) i've often thought of what would be the most fair way to handle a situation between individuals (not between a company and a customer) when an item goes missing and there's no insurance.

the buyer is responsible to tender the funds, but how responsible should the seller be to ensure the item arrives? while the item is in the mail system, it is within neither party's control.

what makes sense to me is if both parties share the loss. in other words, wait 12 weeks and if it's still not there, refund him $95, and then you're both out the same amount. if the light eventually arrives, he can send you the money back.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd give it at least 2 months if it went be surface mail (your local post office might be able to give you an overall estimate though probably not one specifically for Oz or for where the recipient is domiciled.) Don't know how long the USPS requires for a wait before you file a trace, and if it wasn't insured, there's not much reason to file the trace. If you sent it by letter post (not registered), just hope that the purchaser is honest enough to acknowledge receipt, and not say that they have not received it after they have.

In any case, the period of time that has past is not unreasonable. I wouldn't get concerned yet.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had variuos items take from 14 days to just under 6 weeks. (Roller blades, PS2 games, bearings etc) I would give it a bit more maybe 2 weeks at the most just to be sure!

Last edited:

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
thanks
Concept said:
I have had variuos items take from 14 days to just under 6 weeks. (Roller blades, PS2 games, bearings etc) I would give it a bit more maybe 2 weeks at the most just to be sure!

MSI

Enlightened
Economy mail can actually be more expensive to use on lightweight items (GPM is often the cheapest and best), it is only on really heavy packages it is any point in using it, but then you would probably use EMS since the package has a lot of value.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I just had a package taking 3 months by air ( from Hong Kong to Central America ). Luckily it was shipped by registered mail and it did finally being delivered. :xyxgun:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last fall, I shipped an item to a CPF member in New Zealand. I sent it insured by surface. It was sent early in November '05 and did not show up until near the end of February '06. I have since found out the anything moving by surface gets stuffed into a container and may will sit on the dock until the container is full. This can take a loooong time.