Watch out for USPS.com Shipping

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ship almost everything from USPS.com. I ran into a problem last week when I shipped something out Express mail and received it back this morning. Apparently when I entered the State which was Michigan I accidently entered Minesotta. Everthing else but the state was correct including the Michigan zip code. When I clicked continue in order to pay and print the label the USPS system AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION changed the street by adding a NW prefix and changed the Zip code to a Minesotta zip code.

It cost me $20 and a delayed package. I called USPS and the CS rep was RUDE saying well it's your fault for entering the wrong state. My point to her was even though I entered the wrong state there is no way the website should changed the street and zip code entries without even notifying me.

Mac

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd, the USPS site won't let me intentionally print a shipping label if the destination has an incorrect Zip Code. It won't change it for me either, it makes me go and look it up. How do you get it to change the State and Zip Code for you? If the city, state, and zip don't match up correctly, it won't even proceed past the "Continue". I'd be inclined to think that the Postal Service rep may be correct, even if you didn't do it intentionally, (like having the field highlighted and then moving the scroll wheel on the mouse before you clicked, this can all happen without you being aware of it.

cmacclel said:
I ship almost everything from USPS.com. I ran into a problem last week when I shipped something out Express mail and received it back this morning. Apparently when I entered the State which was Michigan I accidently entered Minesotta. Everthing else but the state was correct including the Michigan zip code. When I clicked continue in order to pay and print the label the USPS system AUTOMATICALLY WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION changed the street by adding a NW prefix and changed the Zip code to a Minesotta zip code.

It cost me $20 and a delayed package. I called USPS and the CS rep was RUDE saying well it's your fault for entering the wrong state. My point to her was even though I entered the wrong state there is no way the website should changed the street and zip code entries without even notifying me.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
That's odd, the USPS site won't let me intentionally print a shipping label if the destination has an incorrect Zip Code. It won't change it for me either, it makes me go and look it up. How do you get it to change the State and Zip Code for you? If the city, state, and zip don't match up correctly, it won't even proceed past the "Continue". I'd be inclined to think that the Postal Service rep may be correct, even if you didn't do it intentionally, (like having the field highlighted and then moving the scroll wheel on the mouse before you clicked, this can all happen without you being aware of it.

Pm sent

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reviewing the address that you sent me, it would appear that it does correct the zip code if you enter the wrong zip code. In your specific case though, you did enter the city and state correctly (unfortunately it was the right town in the wrong state.) If you enter a legitimate address and the wrong zip code it will correct it for you, additionally if you do not enter a zip code at all, it will look up the zip code for you. In your case it would appear that you also entered a common address that the web application standardized for you. So you had the right address, right town/city, just the wrong state. Unfortunately, the location is the wrong state had enough similarities for the software to correct it for you.

Sounds like you were the victim of a convenience feature and a little negligence in not reviewing the label after it was printed.

cmacclel said:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:

This has been my experience as well. USPS.com has always verified and standrdized addresses for me.