Bought a Scorpion

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had some spare cash this weekend, so I picked up a Scorpion. WOW! Tested it out in the dog walk area in my complex after dark. This is my usual testing area as there are spots there that fluctuate between pitch dark
to dimly lit. there are also bushes and trees to check how well lights can penetrate.
I work in the security field and am so used
to using the industry standard Mag-Lites. I usually carry a 3-D, have done so a very long time so the beam, power, and reach is what I'm used too and desire.
I am very satisfied with the output from the Scorpion. The light is much whiter, brighter, and cleaner, gives good detail to what I'm looking at. The adjustable focus does not seem as efficient as a Mag's, but I realize this light is meant to be more of a spot (or so this board has taught me). It doesn't have the full reach of the Mag, but if it's beam could be focused more precisely as a Mag does, I'm sure it would reach as far. Honestly I'm not worried about it. the reach is sufficient and the brightness is superior. Normally I would have to catch my dog with the beam focused tightly and hit him at the proper angle while he's pooping in the bushes to get his eyes to "glow". with the Scorp, it's just point and click, I see his eyes reflecting no matter the angle as long as he is facing in my direction. Also I can make out the natural color of his coat and the foliage in this pretty white light.
Also the Scorp sems to do a better job of illuminating vehicle's interior than a Mag,even if the windows are tinted. What I'll miss is the added security of the Mag's heft in my hand when it's dark and I'm alone.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by josh:
get an asp expanding baton.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not an option. In my state security officers have to be licensed and additional certification is required for use of pepper spray or batons. Also some companies will not allow use of these items due to issues of liability ( which could overlap onto the employee also). The Mag Lite was a nice "legal" alternative.
I work in the office as the operations manager of my security company, but occasionally go for site visits or in special instances or emergencies may stand a post or work alongside personnel onsite. It's just alot easier to have the Scorp with me in my briefcase, and to be able to drop it into my pocket. Sometimes it's a last minute call and no telling what attire I may be donning. I've just wanted to be able to have a good bright light for intermitten use thats easy to carry.

mikep

Enlightened
I like how the scorpion has a spare bulb in the lamp assembly.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does the Scorpion have a mirror finish reflector or is it textured?

It seems like variable focus lights with mirror-finish reflectors often have very poor flood beam.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I owned a Scorpion for about 6 months, sold ita few days ago. For its price it is great, however I found several things I didn't like about it.
1) Rubber sleeve seems to get caught on most types of nylon pouch causing problems withdrawing it.

2) Beam quality and length of beam are inferior to the equivelant SF G2.

3)No accessories for it other than a SL nylon pouch.

That said you may not require any more from a small flashlight than the Scorpion provides.

Me I'll stick with the SF G2, same size as a Scorpion, better quality light, longer beam
throw and most definitely more choice of holsters accessories etc.

Doug
smile.gif
smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Someguy:
Does the Scorpion have a mirror finish reflector or is it textured?

It seems like variable focus lights with mirror-finish reflectors often have very poor flood beam.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a textured reflector.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webley445:
What I'll miss is the added security of the Mag's heft in my hand when it's dark and I'm alone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the weight and mass of the Mag is very comforting. Why not carry them both? You could use the Scorpion as your primary light and the Mag for self-defence.

Greetings,
Velcro