G&P 5 Watt LED x3 123A's = Nice!

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
I took a SF 6P body, added a LightHound Detonator, and a G&P 5 watt LED head.

So far, I am VERY pleased with the output and color!
Has anyone else used this 5 watt LED on any build-ups with success?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, and you will not have long term success either. The G&P 5W LED head is for 6V use only.

It will work fine on your 6P without the third cell. You are not going to gain any output performance on 9V, but will kill thing fairly quickly.

The 3W G&P LED will work on 6V and 9V.

Mark

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bugout 3 watt module in an ultrafire 3 cell body. I had to break the spring off the lamp of the bulb that came with it to makethe led work. Seems a bit brighter than stock 2 cell body and it does not dim with use over a few hours like before.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
No, and you will not have long term success either. The G&P 5W LED head is for 6V use only.
It will work fine on your 6P without the third cell. You are not going to gain any output performance on 9V, but will kill thing fairly quickly.
The 3W G&P LED will work on 6V and 9V.
Mark

It would depend on which on it is. I emailed Flavio from BOG he told me that the 5w led drop in they sell would take up to 9v. Also the mini turbo head 5w led is sold on eBay and a couple of the Hong Kong airsoft shops with a 3 cell body. So why wouldn't it take 9V?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 9volts is the absolute max voltage it will take and those who try recharagable batteries that read more than 9 volts hot off the charger will ruin the light.

FYI, mines is in my car since lithum batteries are suposed to be good for 10 years and take temp extremes. I use a cabelas 3watt xpg recharagable one for daily lighting tasks.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it will flicker or strobe when you hit that point.

lexina

Enlightened
as depusm12 mentioned, the 5w modules that come with the X9 mini-turbo head (as sold on ebay for eg. ehobby-asia) are meant to be run on 3 primaries. however, the G&P 5w modules that are sold by others such as lighthound are only supposed to be run on 2-cell lights.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is lifted from Lighthound's eBay listing for the G&P 5W module:

NOTE: For 6 volt flashlights ONLY, 9 Volts will burn it out.

You might just be doing destruction testing on a $60 module.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark