Side Emitter with new Optic

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone has or will test a side emitting led with the new 30mm optic that is out. With this new product coming out
http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html
I was thinking about trying one with a reflector, but I would like to change to the new 30mm optic if the light output is better. I know that the high dome seems to be the best with the 30mm optic, but how does the se work with it? Thanks.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side emitters are designed specifically for use with reflectors. They won't focus when using optics. For that, you need either a LD or a HD.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the output will be horrible...

side-emitters just won't work with optics i'm afraid...
frown.gif

but i don't like optics anyway
grin.gif

then again, i don't like se anyway either
grin.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wub the SE!
grin.gif
I'll take any that you dont want
tongue.gif

I put an NX05 over an SE once - just kind of diffuses light forwardish.

-Darin

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a recent conversation with someone in the optics industry. It was mentioned that an optic that is specially designed for the SE Luxeon MAY be produced.

When I get more details and confirmation of this, I will post the information..

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I contacted them and asked if they would be offering other led options. Right now they only intend on the SE which can be used with the existing reflectors. I think they are hoping to market to the general public(maglite owners) versus flashlight modders. I would like this in a high dome option. Maybe if there is enough interest, they may offer other led options. Only time will tell.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a misguided decision, considering that the high dome Epieon gets a better beam pattern than their photo:

fc9958bf.jpg

fc9958bd.jpg