Maglite AA led conversion?

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any recomendations for a good brand for the AA led conversion? Seems to be a lot of choices out there. Thanks, Tony

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give it to some deserving soul who can find a use for it, and then go get the new MiniMag LED. You'll be glad that you decided not to try and convert a MiniMag.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Have not seen the "latest" offering from Maglite regarding their AA LEDs, but that would be a sound choice as Brighteyez stated above.

I have the Nite-Ize only for but a moment, because when I turned it on. . .Thought to myself, that's not for me. There's the SJMLED(?) out there and the ones that LED-Replacement.Com sells in the form of the TLEs. Did have one of those for a time, until I've stumbled upon the Bad Boy NexGen 750mA Lux.III.TW0J from The Sandwich Shoppe! :huh: Now That One is what really got me going! I have three (3) of them!

One is in the 1/2AA format that I call 3[M]ini.Mag w/20mm IMS reflector + UCL + Kroll. The other one is in the "stock" bodied AA Mini Maglite with said LE + 2 AA DURACELL PowerPix Nickel Oxy Hydroxide + UCL. The last serves as back up. . .Oh and Hey Yeah! The McLux.PD has one in it too!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted that the Wal*Mart at McCarthy Ranch has them now, though I haven't been down there to see. I picked mine up at the Story Rd store. Not quite as bright as a SLPP4AA, maybe about 75% as much, with a nice spot that flows into a bright spill (3AA model.)

CHC said:
Have not seen the "latest" offering from Maglite regarding their AA LEDs, but that would be a sound choice as Brighteyez stated above.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the feedback...i will just buy the maglite led....thanks again

squirrel

Newly Enlightened
ok, well. the nite ize is crap IMO. Never owned it, but I try to learn from others mistakes.
the TLE5 I believe works best with exp Li batts.
the SMJLED I belive works well with reg. alk. batts but better with Li. batts.

I am trying to get ahold of a SMJLED for the 2AA minimag or one of these new SMJLED2 jobbers.

I am waiting for someone to do a run time/beam shot comparison of the 2 before I jump.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In review forum:
Mini Mag-Led 3 Watt Led 2AA & 3AA
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131000

If you just cannot give up that old relic - Instructions for upgrading a minimag.
Warning: LOOOOONG load time due to many pix. Try to wait for a CPF slow time -3-6AM EST or when # people on CPF below 399.
Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding(many pix)
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83903

The bew 2AA minimagLED is about $24. The minimum upgrade I would consider nowadays is the TLE-5 at $22 and it's only 1/2 as bright.

dyyys1

Enlightened
Do you guys dislike the Nite-Ize b/c it is inefficient or just dim? I am thinking about upgrading my Mini-mag w/ a red LED for low-light/covert applications :naughty: and I am thinking about going with the Nite-ize because it is less expensive and dim enough to keep from waking up my roommate or alerting others to my presence. Obviously it's dim, but does the runtime actually increase proportionally or could I get something else that runs longer but is just as bright?

CLHC

Flashaholic
When I first bought the Nite-Ize, it was the so called "white" one and it was dim on fresh set of AAs. That's why I gave it straight away to my dad, now my mom has it. Have not seen the "red" one.

In regards to runtime, I really don't know, but assume that it should be of longer duration. Since you are going to use it for clandestine means, this particular choice should pose no problem given that it's already waaay too dim. . .My opinion says that it is.

Enjoy!