is a HDS U60XRGT pretty much the top of the line HDS?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug said:
Just buy a U60GT for $135 and "go home happy" :)

agreed I was lucky enought to snag a 42 XRGT after reading about the HDS line for a while. Maybe I've moved up a notch in my flash-a-holism because I coughed up an other $135 for a U 60 GT. I was afraid of all that programming so my first Basic HDS 42 was a safe buy. Now that I've seen the light I study up on my U60!

I would guess that a U 120 would be Henry's next offering. The much admired U85 might not be a noticable improvement over the 60 lumen version.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U60XRGT model was discontinued a month or two ago, with only the U60 and U60GT remaining (which look to have been discontinued within this past week). However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the U60 or U60GT are shorter-running models. We figured out that the non-XR U60s had T**J bin LEDs, while the XRs had more efficient T**H bins (with GT being TWO* or TXO*). It's quite possible now that after the XRGT was discontinued that T**H bin LEDs were still being used, as they're fairly common now. I don't know if this has been confirmed yet though.

Production on all U60 models has seemed to stopped entirely, with sales going on until stocks are depleated. We're (with fingers crossed) hoping this means the rerelease of the U85 or possibly something even better (K2 powered?).

My U60XRGT cost $210 from OpticsHQ, but this was when they were still available. Dealer stock of this particular model has seemed to have depleated quite a while ago (it didn't take long after they were discontinued).

cy

Flashaholic
U60XRGT is probably an overachieving TXOJ when first produced, now days it's equal UXOJ are getting fairly common.

folks that paid $250+ for this light not too long ago. are now stuck with resale values less than 1/2 of original purchase price. could be wrong, but sure seems HDS lights are among the worst in holding used resale values :green:

Gladius did a simular drop in value. Original Gladius sold for aprox. $235. now they are worth $160 range.

compare this against Surefire values. example: Surefire M6 sold new for aprox $250 a few years ago. today a used M6 in mint condition routinely sell for $300+.

ARC's do real well on resale values too. ARC AAA sold originally for aprox. $25, ARC LS first run were $100 w/three packs, etc... today most any ARC AAA will sell used for $30-$40, most any ARC LS will sell for $95-$180 depending upon condition.

please correct me if I'm wrong in any posted values. if I'm off it won't be by much...

Last edited:

William_H

Newly Enlightened
yeah, I just noticed the sale on the U60Gt. I think I'll pick one up while they're available.

cy

Flashaholic
I was being generous :D

you can easily have over achieving Tbin's put out in Ubin range.

Don's L1-917-PR-T comes to mind as one of the first lights that used overachieving Tbins.

anytime you purchase a light with increased premium (double) based upon a rare bin and/or performance.

When performance increases occurs like what happened in the last 12 months. (example: UXOJ is now available) values on these lights will drop accordingly.

this applies not just to HDS, but other lights too. MJ's superlight with UWOJ's has taken a value drop. Orb raw w/Ubin are std fair. etc etc..

sure seems like Surefire, ARC's and McGizmo lights traditionally hold re-sale values the best.

Led_Blind said:
U60XRGT = UXOJ Realy?

I have 2 and both are TWOJ's.... anyway its time we got a peek at the replacements ;)

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's one thing we have to remember about HDS lights; Every HDS light's circuit is individually "tuned" and mated to its LED. There may be particular "trends" for certain models to specific LEDs, but skews the "lottery" to give specific outputs rather than giving each light the same output across the board (like pretty much every other manufacturer), with the runtime being what varies (making the light a regular one or an "XR").

Last edited:

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
William_H: the answer to your question depends on what exactly you mean. There was at one time tangible evidence that a U85 existed to some degree of production. I say that because some very lucky people own that model. Unfortunately that model was retracted by HDS Systems and is no longer an official product. Neither is the U60XRGT a current product of HDS Systems, for that matter. Now the U60GT as well as the U60 are discontinued and being sold at closeout prices.

So, if your question is which is the top of the line current production HDS light, then the answer is you're out of luck because there are currently no official lights in production from HDS Systems. See http://hdssystems.com/Products.html for details.

If your question is what the top of the line HDS Systems light ever was, then that would be the U85. Good luck getting one.

Latest posts