Copper O-Sink interest thread

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys I have threatened to do this in the past. The idea has come up once again. This would be an O-Sink which would b a universal design (LUX III K2) self centering heat sink for the Mag C and D lights.

I have been hesitant to make these for 2 reasons. Not the least of which are the new K2 drop in emitters which in my opinion do a very good job of eliminating the need for an O-Sink.
The other is based on sheer numbers. These things are not cheap. I have shop minimums to deal with. The simple fact is Copper prices have gone up in price just like EVERY other metal. Before undertaking this run I would need combined numbers of at least 25 parts in each size ( I would prefer 50). The Copper O-Sink will be a $20.00 per unit price.(shipping NOT included) YES, That means I need to be able to sell $1000 worth of parts in order to make this happen. Heck the copper alone is in the neighborhood of $500.00 for a run. That is material alone. As you can see with just a little research there just isn't a whole hell of a lot of dough to be made on these at $20.00. In fact it isn't really about making money. It is about covering the cost of manufacture with what will turn out to be a small number of sales.
The point of this thread is to gauge interest.

I am happy to do it but I am not willing to hold the bag without some people stepping up here and saying I will take some. You are not making a firm commitment. This is just a gauge. I am not going to ask anybody to pay for anything until I have these in hand.
It will not surprise me one bit if there was not enough interest. At $20.00 it is an expensive part something like 2 times the price of the aluminum version. So that is it. Not much needs to be said about the O-Sink it simply works. Copper will work even better than the aluminum units many people have used in the past, at moving heat away from the emitter. My one worry is that the mass of these will change the balance of the Mag Light so much that it may suck. The O-Sink will be a Big Hunk of copper.

OK so there you have it This thread will live or die by the level of interest in this run of Copper O-Sinks.
Let me know how you feel In the next several weeks if there is enough interest I will green light the project and parts will be available when ever they are available. I just can't even estimate that right now.
Ok guys let me know.
Oh and by the way I don't need to hear about how this price is too high or any of that business. It is what it is. If you feel like there is a better way to do this I welcome you to do so I will even help you in any way I can. I have based these numbers on past experience with the O-Sink and several other projects. Other people I am sure could do this for less but not me. So don't expect a price lowering frenzy in order to generate interest. The $20.00 is most likely too low to begin with but my desire to be fair and keep things simple overrides the reality of machine shop economics in my part of the world.
Yaesumofo

Sawtooth

Newly Enlightened
I am interested. (Actually I am interested in mounting multiple LEDs. The extra heat makes copper more attractive for that application...)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sawtooth, The O-Sink is and always has been and always will be, a single emitter solution. I definitely toyed with the idea of a multiple emitter solution and while in the process some other CPF'rs came up with some fantastic ideas. I dropped out of that race and focused on my single emitter solution...The O-Sink.
If you poke around CPF a bit you may find some of those Heat Sinks made for multiple luxeon stars and emitters. These are works of beauty, machines from solid copper. I have a couple laying around waiting for the right time and reflector solution.

My quick impression based on the response to this thread is that this project ...the copper O-Sink... Is not going to happen. The golden era of Mag Modding has passed. Personally I really like the mods people are doing to mags these days. The shortening and souping up of the system. Cool. I like the hot wires. There is just no comparison to the hotwired's people are doing to our puny little 3 or 5 watt LED's. In time maybe.
Yaesumofo

Sawtooth said:
I am interested. (Actually I am interested in mounting multiple LEDs. The extra heat makes copper more attractive for that application...)

Sawtooth

Newly Enlightened
OK. Ive done a couple of tri-lux III's with modamag's PTS-D already (aluminumHS). I was hoping someone would be interested in doing some copper heatsinks for more emitters.

If you are only intending it to be a single emitter HS, copper is very likely overkill (and as you point out quite heavy as well)... Maybe running a Lux V would be good with copper though...

I would like to try 7 Lux IIIs or K2s in a mag-D. Copper HS or HS+heat pipes may be needed for that one (just a thought).