retailers of SureFire torch lights selling them at prices lower then Surefire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miracle

Enlightened
Can some kind souls please tell me how retailers of SureFire torch lights are able to sell them at much lower prices then Surefire themselves?

Does the retailers buy the SureFire torch lights at a lower price in bulk?

:huh2:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Like nearly all manufacturers that maintain a storefront, Surefire sells product direct at their highest MSRP. This prevents them from competing with the very retailers they sell to, who Surefire needs in order to stay in business. Given the substantial profit that retailers can make on Surefire sales, they have plenty of margin to stay ahead of Surefire's retail pricing.

The price of a retail product typically doubles, often quadruples verses the wholesale cost per unit from the manufacturer. Why? It takes deep pockets and you incur signifigant expenses during distribution and to maintain a storefront - be it on the internet or "brick and mortar." Manufacturers need to make things in bulk and ship them in bulk to relatively few customers to stay profitable and focus on the business of making product. Surefire probably makes a bit more for every direct flashlight sale than the average retailer, but they have to carry a full product line in stock, deal with retail logistics, maintain a customer service department, etc... And without their network of retailers, they would be out of business since they can't shoulder the retail front alone and unlike their retailers, they don't sell a broad line of merchandise that helps to make sales.

Last edited:

unixguy

Newly Enlightened
Can some kind souls please tell me how retailers of SureFire torch lights are able to sell them at much lower prices then Surefire themselves?

Does the retailers buy the SureFire torch lights at a lower price in bulk?

:huh2:

The potentially lower pricing at a dealer is deliberate. SunFire wants to encourage you to buy from their dealers. If they sold it cheaper, then you would be more likely to buy it direct from SureFire. That would really, really make dealers mad. I'm not sure if the term is correct, but I would call it "channel conflict".

Yes typically dealers buy stuff from the manufacturer cheaper, and then mark it up.

purelite

Enlightened
every dealer buys at lower than retail . Thats how they make a profit reselling the lites. Its like that in every business. If the dealers paid retail they wouldnt make any money

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
every dealer buys at lower than retail . Thats how they make a profit reselling the lites. Its like that in every business. If the dealers paid retail they wouldnt make any money

Surefire does not allow there dealers to sell below there MSRP (what they charge on their site). Main reason they do this, is when you buy the light, you also purchasing the warranty. Surefire knows when the dealer sells that light, that Surefire will have to guarantee that light for life. (This alos has to do with the high price of their lights to begin with). I've already had $150 (MSRP) of Surefire parts replaced/serviced...and my lgihts don't take much of a beating. If retailers sold them below retail, then they wouldn't maintain there aftermarket value that they do, and ealers that are found to sell them below MSRP have there rights revoked.

They can (and do) make the purchase less painful though, such as offering free batteries, or free shipping (or both). The only retail outlet that can sell them below retail (other than close-outs/discontinued items) is AAFES (Army Airforce Exchange Services).

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course retailers pay less than MSRP for Surefire's; enough so that some will sell below MSRP.

No debate here.

Are Surefires great lights? Yes, of course. Are they premium prices? Yes, once again. Is it worth it? Up to you.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire are a buncha #$%!^!&!@! when it comes to who they allow to purchase direct from them. It's funny though because usually I get prices lower than what Surefire sells to their dealers...

Status
Not open for further replies.