Saving web pages to my computer?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to save this: link
to my computer so I can read it at the cottage with no internet..
I can't print it because I have no color ink, and I would just like to somehow save it..
Feeling pretty dumb over here..

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your browser:
File, Save As or Save Page As

[edit]Oh, I bet you are wanting all those links saved to, as in so its all accessible from off the internet. I remember seeing an option on some browser to save all pages one link ahead of the current one, which would do it, but Firefox doesnt. I would bet their is a plugin or just another program out there that will do it. I also remember, I think it was jtice on CPF, saved the entire Arc Flashlight website when it went under years ago just for the sake of saving it. I want to say he or whoever that was used Adobe of some sort...[/edit]

-Cameron

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
My favorite way to save webpages is to "Print to PDF." Works on Linux and OSX... I think Windows needs a separate plugin.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I may have to install Firefox..
I will look for the plug in carrot has mentioned..
I somehow imagined this being easier..

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
One needs Adobe Acrobat (not the free Acrobat Reader version) to creat PDF files. As simple as it is, it's not a cheap package for the consumer market (though it's nice when your employer picks up the tab.)

carrot said:
My favorite way to save webpages is to "Print to PDF." Works on Linux and OSX... I think Windows needs a separate plugin.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest priced 'plug-in' would be Adobe Acrobat Standard. They're currently at V 7.0 and it goes for about $80 from legit vendors.

Pydpiper said:
Looks like I may have to install Firefox..
I will look for the plug in carrot has mentioned..
I somehow imagined this being easier..

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to flashget.com and get the free download. It's a nice download manager that lets you save the html (with pictures) content of every link on a page.

EDIT: If you want, I wouldn't mind saving it for you and emailing it.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Brighteyez said:
The lowest priced 'plug-in' would be Adobe Acrobat Standard. They're currently at V 7.0 and it goes for about $80 from legit vendors.

There are several free plugins available on the web that will give you a print to pdf functionality. My colleague just tells me he uses primopdf, free for download at: http://www.primopdf.com/

Otherwise just google 'print to pdf' (without the ') and get a few other options too...

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pydpiper said:
I am trying to save this: link
to my computer so I can read it at the cottage with no internet..
I can't print it because I have no color ink, and I would just like to somehow save it..
Feeling pretty dumb over here..

I just cut and paste the whole page( ctrl+A) then ( ctrl+C) then paste with ( ctrl+V) to a word document. Then I delete the bits that came across I do not want , and then save it as a word document. Seems to work fine for me.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!
Tigerhawk, I will take you up on that offer, I would not have the time or patience to download a program on my 21.5 kbps connection..
pydpiper(at)gmail.com
or
critterridder(at)on.aibn.com
Thank you, when I get to a faster connection with my laptop I will download the program you mentioned.. But, I am leaving tomorrow for the final long weekend of the summer, and this will give me some good reading.
David

carrot

Flashaholic
If you like I can mirror multiple pages following links to n depth where n is preferably a single digit...

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent it to both email addresses. Altogether, the files total around 2.7MB in size. I emailed you a zip file, so it'll be about 1.7MB. FlashGet would have been around 2.4MB, so that definitely saves you some time. It'll still take a while to download at 21.5kbps, but you'd have to get it SOMEhow, right?

BTW, Windows XP has a free zip/unzip tool. Just right click on the zip file, select "Extract All" and follow the wizard.

Have fun! :grin2:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved the files, Thank you very much! I appreciate your time, it saved me quite a headache.. :)

*edit* Wow, you put alot into this, I just got it all downloaded and took a look, thats awesome.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're very welcome, pydpiper - and I mean that quite literally. Please feel free to make similar requests in the future.

It took me about twenty minutes to save all the pages, and an hour between getting the go-ahead from you and posting here that it was done. (That's an hour total, not an hour twenty.)

How shall I put this...

You have no idea how much experience I have with this sort of thing. For example (and that's just one example of many such instances), did you know that Soul Calibur II contains over three thousand voice effects in English and Japanese combined? They were a significant addition to my Winamp playlist, and I can't wait to get around to hearing them all - well, without having to press the RECORD button every twenty seconds, anyway.

Bottom line: Yay! I'm glad you liked it.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
allthatwhichis said:
Tiger, are you into overclocking computers at all? It's my first obession before lasers... :grin2:
Nope.

I don't feel the need to do it, and, until my Gladius arrives, processors are more expensive than any of my lights.

I did assemble my computer, though, and rebuilt it after something vital decided to quit. I still have the original case (old Antec SOHO tower), monitor (Envision 19" 16x12), keyboard (MS Office keyboard), mouse (IBM Optical Navigator), and video card (ATi Radeon 8500LE). I have three (3) 250GB drives, a 120GB, and a Sony DRU-820A DVD burner (which I got a few months ago, and which totally rocks).

Oddly enough, I just checked my CPF Profile, and I didn't list "computers" under Hobbies. It's there now.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I'm a fiend... I have 3 that I overclock ATM. I just got my first entry in the OCDB (overclocking database). I'm a little giddy after jumping through these digital hoops...

That's my computer sig from DFI-Street. DFI is the maker of my motherboard... Click the sig to goto my OCDB entry. I'm trying to get to 3GHz. It's a long 50MHz away. :candle:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy mother-of-pearl, that's a SWEET machine. :huh: I'm almost afraid to ask how much it cost...

So, how much did it cost? :grin2:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
If you like I can mirror multiple pages following links to n depth where n is preferably a single digit...

Thank you carrot, I have no idea what you just offered me, but I'm sure it was in my best interest.. :grin2:
TigerhawkT3 has sent the files to my email, checking my email is well within my computer capabilities. :)