How should I spend my money... ROP or SF 6P?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Seeing as the cost of building a ROP w/o batteries or buying a Surefire 6P w/o batteries is about the same... which should I get?

What is the output like on a SF 6P? I've built Maglite 2C with 3 123s and a 5 cell White star. How is it compared to that? If it's the not as bright or equal... I think I'll go with the ROP on a 2D instead.

Delvance

Enlightened
The 6P won't be as bright as the 3x123 and 5 cell bulb mod.

IMHO, what i would get would weigh down to what i currently have or which one would see more use. Normally i'd say go straight for the hotwire ;) but i also love 2 cell lights...makes for great EDCs and an awesome platform to upgrade upon.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the ROP requires rechargeable batts (right? Haven't done one myself yet), it wouldn't be my first choice for a carry light. For tooling around the house and yard or playing around, the ROP should do fine, but if you plan on carrying it around, and you use up the batteries, are you going to:

1) Carry a full spare set of the batteries required for the ROP?
2) Be able to find a set while you're out and about?

If you're stuck in a bind with a conventional light that uses off the shelf batteries, you could walk into any store and replace them. Granted, that's 10-15 bucks retail for 123's, but you'd still have them.

For sheet output, the Mag 2C with 3x123's is much brighter than a 2cell Surefire, for comparison. And because you can tweak the reflector, you can make a nice spot a little tighter (depending on the bulb you're using assuming it's centered and stuff) for a pretty decent throw.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
dood... get the ROP...

ITS SO MUCH BETTER

the ROP Hi makes any surefire look weak... My ROP 2x18650 LG 2c is BRIGHT... good flat runtime...

Getting into hot-wire... you have to start going the Maglite mod route... Get some HAIII and start building away....

Delvance

Enlightened
As much as i love my custom and 2D ROP. I'd happily trade my 2D ROP for a 6P in my arsenal if i had to. Having the 6P body means it's small enough for daily EDC, i can use a LED module for extended runtime, i can use 2 R123s and a WE D26 9V/DRB 9V HP LA for 130 torch lumens in a pocket, add extenders to extend runtime blahblah hehe.

But hey, if you've got some lights you EDC already and just chasing big lumens, go for the ROP!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light is an orange while the other is an apple. Basically, you're looking at a comparison of two different lights with different purposes. You need to determine what your need for this light will be first. The 6P, or any other 2 CR123 incandescent, serves well as a personal compact light. A 2D Mag is a larger light that isn't suitable for pocket carry for most people.

If your only objective is to have a brighter light, then the ROP would be your choice. If you want something that is compact and can easily be carried in a pocket or belt, the 6P or some similar sized light would be more suitable.

bimemrboy318 said:
Seeing as the cost of building a ROP w/o batteries or buying a Surefire 6P w/o batteries is about the same... which should I get?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to vote for the ROP for most uses. If you want something you can tuck away for a disaster or something I would have to say go for the 6P.

I think the ROP would be more expensive though; on my latest ROP build I'm using a UCL(tm) with a dual-mode reflector purchased here on CPF, and those two parts alone were over $40, plus another $18 for a 2D Maglite and a few extra bucks for materials to make a Teflon lamp insulator (replacing the stock nylon sleeve in the socket), a Delrin holder for the battery and a replacement spring for the tail cap, since the D spring isn't a good fit for smaller cells. And don't forget the cost of batteries, whichever you use (I'm using 18650s, which were purchased for another $40 for two pair with a charger).

That kind of money is well on the way to a U2 if you can find one for a decent price, or even some of the cheaper HIDs like the Wolf Eyes.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
OK, well I don't have an EDC and I doubt ever will. Just not me. The cheap flashlights work around the house and stuff.

The only real time I've ever wanted more light was at work. I bought one of those cheapo 1 million candle rechargeable spotlights for $20 for work. I'm a manufacturing engineer and I bring the light out on the floor when looking at equipment and tooling. You usually have to stand behind a safety fence or a light screen so throw is important... hence the spotlight. I don't carry it all the time and just grab it when needed for short 20 minute explorations on the floor. We have HID lights mounted 60 foot rafters so shadows are bad.

But, in a google search for "best flashlight" I chanced upon this site. I've built my Maglite 2C 123s light. I was going to bring this to work but figured I'll leave it at home and bring something else to work. I was thinking ROP because I could do a Maglite 4D or 4C with recharegable sub c cells. This would wow any of our skilled tradesmen and be the envy of my fellow engineers using their mini mags and the plastic work issued 2D lights. Actually, everyone already borrows my spotlight.

But I really like the surefire products especially the M-series... but a bit expensive for what I need. So the SF 6P and 9P would be next. Any surefire would have the immediate wow from any hunter, hobbyist, action movie fan, etc. just because it looks so cool. And it's alot smaller... but I still would just leave it in my desk.

So, now that I think about it... the Mag mods are the way to go!

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
I thought the ROP would cost me the following:

Maglite 2D, 4D,or 4C $20
Lens $10
Reflector $25
Bulb set $10

Total = $65

I wasn't counting the cost of batteries because the rechargeables will pay for themselves comparted to 1 hour runtimes of 123s. Teh lights w/o batts would cost the same.

scott.cr said:
I would have to vote for the ROP for most uses. If you want something you can tuck away for a disaster or something I would have to say go for the 6P.

I think the ROP would be more expensive though; on my latest ROP build I'm using a UCL(tm) with a dual-mode reflector purchased here on CPF, and those two parts alone were over $40, plus another $18 for a 2D Maglite and a few extra bucks for materials to make a Teflon lamp insulator (replacing the stock nylon sleeve in the socket), a Delrin holder for the battery and a replacement spring for the tail cap, since the D spring isn't a good fit for smaller cells. And don't forget the cost of batteries, whichever you use (I'm using 18650s, which were purchased for another $40 for two pair with a charger).

That kind of money is well on the way to a U2 if you can find one for a decent price, or even some of the cheaper HIDs like the Wolf Eyes.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
bimemrboy318 said:
I thought the ROP would cost me the following:

Total = $65

A ROP can be inexpensive but it all depends on how you build it. I will admit that I tend to go overboard as far as development of small and relatively worthless parts.

Here's how I do a ROP:

copyofimg8574fi2.jpg

These are the small parts... on the left is the Delrin battery adapter tube. It has an aluminum top that is threaded in place (the aluminum itself is threaded). In the middle, you can see that I replaced the stock Mag spring with a spring-loaded brass plunger. On the right right are the LG 18650s.

Next:
copyofimg8575sy4.jpg

That's how the 18650s fit into the tube. The tube is basically a permanent part of the Maglite (air pressure holds it VERY firmly in place) but I tugged it out for the pics.

Next:
copyofimg8576qu7.jpg

That's how it looks "in action." Not shown is the Teflon insulator sleeve I made to replace the original nylon one. Teflon has a 450 degree F working temp and a limit temp around 500 degrees F. I've read that the nylon sleeve can melt after prolonged ROP-Hi operation, thus the extra bit of caution in materials selection and use.

I used a MOP reflector; always wanted to try light stipple, but they never seem to be in stock with any of the CPF vendors.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
no 6P is going to do this:

ROP_HOLA_beams003small.jpg

mine's a 2C which is still fairly small, low beam runs for an hour and is about equal to an M3 HOLA in actual output

but it depends on you intended use, actually no it doesn't - just get the ROP and go amaze your freinds next time you go camping

zehnmm

Enlightened
I feel that I am duty bound, in typical CPF addict fashion, to recommend that you get both!

When considering more than one flashlight, irregardless of cost or your budget situation, in order to be truly considered a flashaholic, you are required to buy all of them. Heh, heh. Sell your own blood, take out home equity loan, get a second job, sell one or more of your children, sell wife....

Good luck!

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever tried a 6P, or just heard about it? I have one or two extra's I have lying around that I'd be happy to loan you if you can PP me shipping. I'm hoping to do a mag2c rop pretty soon, and maybe we could split the shipping on the different parts and you could send me my half when you return the 6p? PM me and we'll talk :-D

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Thanks for the offer but I after reading the forums for about a week now... there are so many mag mods to try!
Sgaterboy said:
Have you ever tried a 6P, or just heard about it? I have one or two extra's I have lying around that I'd be happy to loan you if you can PP me shipping. I'm hoping to do a mag2c rop pretty soon, and maybe we could split the shipping on the different parts and you could send me my half when you return the 6p? PM me and we'll talk :-D

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
What battery configuration did you use in the 2C? I'm assuming rechargeable lithiums?

missionaryman said:
no 6P is going to do this:

ROP_HOLA_beams003small.jpg

mine's a 2C which is still fairly small, low beam runs for an hour and is about equal to an M3 HOLA in actual output

but it depends on you intended use, actually no it doesn't - just get the ROP and go amaze your freinds next time you go camping