How many flashlight do we really need?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about the flashlights I actually use, I'd say five will cover anything I need to do with a flashlight. Keychain, lantern, high power, etc.

clipse

Enlightened
I have always said I would stop when I get one for everyperson in my extended family........78. At 78 I think I'll stop. Untill then.......:D

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with ABTOMAT, 5 should do it, with accessories of course! I have too many options. It drives me crazy when I need to choose what goes with me on a trip.

kelmo

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we only need a few for day to day use. Where I live, blackouts are fairly infrequent and I do not live in an area where hurricanes or earthquakes etc. are a factor. Having said that considering the big blackout a couple years back, anything can happen. I could probably get buy with 3 to 5 lights of varying uses (headlight, latern, pocket etc) but that just wouldn't be fun. As with any hobby, the space between needs and wants is quite large.

dyyys1

Enlightened
How do you define need? If you mean "need" as in for emergency preparedness or utility, then one from every major category would indeed be enough. Right now I am just working on getting a good light for each category, then I'll probably have enough lights. Of course, there are subcategories, and there is always a better light in each category: one that is smaller, one that is brighter, one that runs a few hours longer, one that has more throw, one that has more flood, one that is lighter, one that won't break very easily, one that is cheaper (so you don't have to be as afraid of losing or breaking it), one that has a pocket clip to keep you from losing it, one that emits colored light for specialized uses (i.e. red for stealth and improved night vision), one that glows in the dark, one that is rechargeable, one that goes on your head, one that mounts on a bike or gun, one that improves color rendition, one that's regulated, one with a smoother beam, and so on and so forth. Then, of course, you get into the realm of the hybrids, where a light combines several categories into one, such as the A2's bright incandescent and long-running LED's. Of course, every one of these lights is an improvement, just a little better for a particular situation than anything else you have. You "need" every one in some way or other. Of course, I haven't even touched on the category of lights that are purchased solely because they are a novelty, look really good, or are just plain awesome and fun to play with. So, "need" is something that could be taken to mean the bare minimum that you can get by with (and even that is subjective), or it could mean everything you have a genuine use for. Really, the deciding factor is how much money you have and how much you're willing to spend. Hold on to your wallet, my friend, because if you get hooked you're in for a wild ride!

Last edited:

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I need all of them...... No, honestly I do.
rolleye11.gif

Simon

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did an AskJeeves, and the official answer was 12,329. I was surprised because I thought thay may be a tad low.

Need, is a very subjective thing, it covers not only need for personal daily use, but also need for vehicles, emergency kits, and any other number of places where one may deem they might "need" a flashlight should they for whatever reason, not have one upon their person.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for me, if I could only have one light, it would NEED to be a headlight. LEOs might NEED something else, like a tactical light. A diver or caver would NEED a tough, dive-capable light. For most people's general light NEEDS, one flashlight, preferably a headlight, would be enough.

Of course, NEED isn't always a factor around here, unless you count incurable flashaholism as creating a NEED. If we count that, then I definitely NEED all my lights, and I NEED a lot more! :grin2:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've got more than enough when she tells you to stop !

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I counted my lights last week and I had 23....how many do I really need? I could easily get by with 3/4.

carrot

Flashaholic
Hmm, just one. But that doesn't prevent me from carrying my A2 Aviator, a necklight, a keychain light, and a small Luxeon light almost everywhere...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, that was for actual daily use flashlights. If I think about the collection, before it's nearly complete I figure I'll need about 80-100 total. Currently at 67.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many as I can buy and still have enough money to pay the mortgage. :lolsign:

I like to think of it as my way of keeping the economy going.