I've decided to take a minimalist approach...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
for my camping trip to Big Sur this weekend. I usually take way to many lights and batteries and only end up using two or three. Since it will be a car camping inlaw foodfest, I shall only take the following (for the following); Arc AAA (me), HDS B42 XRGT (me), Tikka+ (me/wife/loaner), E2O (for the wife), and Minimag w/Opalec (loaner/tent light). So its just me and my HDS with my Arc AAA as a backup.

This is a big step for me...

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree Kelmo. My last camping trip I brought too many as well and ended up spending more time rotating them than actually using them. Like you, on my next trip I'll be bringing my PD and my Gerber IU as back up. Although when I'm there I'll bet I'll be wishing I brought more to play with. Can't win...:shrug:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Only here would you find someone saying that taking five flashlights along on a car camping trip to be considered as a mimimalist approach. :thumbsup:
I love it!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
Only here would you find someone saying that taking five flashlights along on a car camping trip to be considered as a mimimalist approach. :thumbsup:
I love it!

Now that you mention it, it is funny. But in my defense I will only use the HDS and the headlamp. The backup never gets used right?! And the loaners don't count!

We are a strange lot...

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have a car camping trip coming up later this fall and have my lights planned out for me and my son. HDS B42XRGT for me and Xnova for him. Two button cells as backups. OK, and maybe the Strion just for the bump in the night stuff :D

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I sit here, I think I have 10 flashlights on me. Let's check:

E2E, P1, L1P, U60GT, Red Photon Freedom, and a White Photon Freedom on my belt.

In my shirt/jacket: Maxlite, Solitaire LED, X1, and a little cheapie Photon wannabe on the keys.

Now, if I were to go camping instead of just working in the office... :ohgeez:

Know of good psychoanalysts out there?

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Hogokansatsukan said:
... Know of good psychoanalysts out there?
Minimalist? Oh, my!

Hogokansatsukan, I give you credit for a forgiving nature after Henry announced the price drops on the U60GT's the day after FedEx finally delivered your's. I'd have been ready for a rubber room at the funny farm.

... I think I'll rent the movie "Analyze This" to remind myself how we compare on the scale of the absurd.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, life is all about timing. Mine sucks. No fault of Henry's or anyone else. As long as my timing stays good at work and I don't get my a** shot/knifed/beaten.
And I'm most certainly not forgiving at work! I make up for that in my personal life.
Just after I got my Maxlite from Lighthound, the seconds went up. Oh well. Those have a different LED anyway...right? (please don't tell me they are the same).
No one who knows me would ever call me a minimalist. I think half the reason I tote so much stuff around, is that in the event it is needed for a "big event", I would be passing a lot of it out.

vic303

Enlightened
jch79 said:
I love it!
I was thinking the same thing!
:grin:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Seems like every time we take a trip I tell myself to limit the lights. Then, at the last minute, I end up throwing three or four more in my bag. After all, they don't take up much space and you never know.

Geoff

BlackDecker

Enlightened
On my next 4 night backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon, I plan on having only 3 lights: A River Rock 2AAA headlamp, a Fenix L1P, and my PT Eclipse 2. As far as batteries, only 1 spare set for each light. On my previous trip I had 8 lights and assorted batteries and was carrying way too much gear in my pack.

Supernam

Enlightened
Going to Yosemite in 3 weeks and we're going to time our hike up to the top of Half Dome so that we finish the hike in the dark. Bringing with me the following:
Black Diamond "Spot" headlamp- flood for foot placement along trail
SF L6 on 17500's- light up trail ahead of us, checking out spooky things in trees, etc.
Inova X5- pocket light, tent light, loaner. Probably won't see much use by me.
4D LED Mag- Excellent throw, keep at base camp, too heavy for hiking.