Google Earth, Amazing Free Program, Amazing.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Tinder,
Where have you been? :nana:

You're right though - it's quite an amazing toy :)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be aware that some of the images Google Earth uses can be quite old. The view of my backyard shows a fully grown Poplar tree in the corner of the lot but I cut that tree down 5 years ago because it was starting to rot. For all I know the images of my part of town could be as much as 7 years old. Local construction and arterial roadway expansion is a more reliable way of dating the images.

Illum

Flashaholic
Where have you been?:bumpit:

check Nasa's World-wind program:rock:
its a continuously updated enhanced google earth program thats more "realistic" than objective projections the google earth .exe can show...:ohgeez:

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ :naughty:

one problem...you might need a new video card in the process...it preferrs at least 128 mb of dedicated vid-mem:touche:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Google Earth Plus is only $20 a year - and worth it for higher-res prints and views. And the NASA program looks cool, but no Mac support!! :thumbsdow

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'd never heard of World Wind before. II'm downloading it now to try out. I like Google Earth, but it can be up to 7 years out of date I believe.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried world wind, but you cant zoom in as far as Google earth.

I cant even see my housing estate, never mind cars in the street, unless i am doing something wrong.

regards.

K A

Enlightened
If you use the Hybrid function in Google Maps (so it overlays the streets atop the sat photos) it's almost the same as Google Earth. But you can also set Google Earth to show businesses. Gas, food, lodging, etc.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
I use Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/

Is Google Earth the same as Google Maps only downloaded instead of online?

I believe Google Earth and Maps run off the same satellite imaging server (correct me if I'm wrong). Both only work if your connected to the internert. However, Earth is a much more feature-packed interface for bookmarking places, and toggling road/border/etc topographical overlays.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ras_Thavas said:
Windows local live is also cool.
That's a good one too; I just bookmarked it. Funny, I can see my van parked in this one. :)

Wait a minute... the house my parents have lived in for 8 years isn't even built yet according to the image on Windows Live Local. So much for calling it "live". The image is even in black and white. Hey, is that a T-Rex?

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also www.zillow.com. Type in your address and it gives a birdseye view of your house with it's residence stats (when it was built, # of rooms, baths, plan size, lot size) and shows it's estimated value. You can just scroll around the whole neighboorhood and it'll show the estimated value of every house (you can view the stats of them, too). The properties can be zoomed in a bit, too. Funny thing is, I think the photo of my house is the only one I've seen that has a person in it, and it looks like it's me (standing out front of my house by my car)!!

Latest posts