Hello from the Greengoose in Kandahar...

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone! :)

Its funny how conditions dictate hobbies. Last time I was really active in this forum was back in 2003 from Iraq. This time Im reporting from Kandahar, Afghanistan. (Lights are very important in this kind of work...especially on night shift.)
Very few sites are accessible from the government LAN system. I was pleasantly surprised when I seen that CPF was NOT blocked. I've only been here just under a week. Again I find myself looking at all sorts of lights. I am amazed at how much the technology has evolved since 2003...all I can say is WOW!
There have been a few lights have wanted to research more closely but unable to because of the manufacturer site being blocked by the local internet Nazis.

I just wanted to take a few seconds to say Hi to those who may have remembered me and greetings to those who don't!

Take care, you will be seeing much more of me over the next 100 days.

-Bryan / Greengoose

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Green Goose!!!

What lights are you interested in? I went to the day shift after 11 years on nights and my use for lights have changed drastically. I still need to carry one (or three) but rechargeables are out because of lack of use. I like the Fenix L1T (1AA) as well as the Streamlight Luxeon 4AA. Good luck!!!

Tim

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
Wolfen said:
Hello Green Goose!!!

What lights are you interested in? I went to the day shift after 11 years on nights and my use for lights have changed drastically. I still need to carry one (or three) but rechargeables are out because of lack of use. I like the Fenix L1T (1AA) as well as the Streamlight Luxeon 4AA. Good luck!!!

Tim

All of the main sites were blocked:
Elektrolumens
PeakLED
HDS
ARC
(..and a few others I cant remember)

I only brought my TL-3 and my EDC Ultimate 60....oh yeah and my Photon II Red and my Arc-AAA

I was however able to access: The ORB ( http://www.theorb.co.uk/sor.php )
I think I really like the ORB NS *Drooling*

Last edited:

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
Since my post above, I just spent the better part of 2 hours reminiscing as I re-read the Operation Enlightenment Series 1-3. I swear it was just yesterday when it all happened. I actually broke a tear as I read my own writing and the thank you letters from the recipients. I can still see each smiling face as clear as if it were yesterday.
I just swapped a few emails with Kevin over at BatteryStation.com and he said there are still items to be sent. (I am totally blown away that donations are still comming into BatteryStation over 2 ½ years later. I would never have thought it. Would it be too late to give a big thank you to all who have supported this operation over the past few years? THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!)
For those of you who don't know. The unit that was in Iraq has been relocated to Afghanistan. (Of course that's why I'm here now and not over there.)

I listed the links to the threads:

Part 1:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/38301&page=1&pp=30

Part 2:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/40221&page=1&pp=30

Part 3:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/74655&page=1.

You guys are awesome! :)

-Bryan / Greengoose

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I give a deep :bow: and a big :twothumbs to GreenGoose and his mates!!!

For every tango that they :xyxgun: or :twak: is one less we have to worry about over here!

If you need research done on ANY light, feel free to ask!

:goodjob:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bryan,

Good to hear from you. Hope things are going well.

Just wanted to tell you that my son made it to the rank of Eagle Scout last June. I presented him with the Predator flag and shared the highlights of "Operation Enlightenment." It was a very proud moment for all of us.

Thanks once again for making this possible.

Tom

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Bryan,

Any site that you can't get to, I'll be glad to download and email to you. Just PM me what you want.

Thanks for your help and your (and your families) sacrifice for us!!

Bill

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ggoose -

Good to hear from you.

Outstanding job finding S.H.

Welcome back.

Thank you for your continued service.

- Jeff

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear from you again Bryan. It sounds like you've upgraded your own lights a bit since your last trip over there.

Stay safe and thanks to you and your gang for doing what needs to be done. :thumbsup:
-LT

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
Lightmeup said:
Welcome back GG! Any idea when you may be heading back yet? Stay safe....

Im scheduled to depart here on 1 Dec. Im being re-assigned to Ramstein AFB, Germany when I return. I will report there on the first week of Jan.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Hey GG, good to hear from you!

And I agree that we should be saying you guys are amazing.

Thank you for all that you do!

You guys still need torches over there at the new digs?

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened
I spoke too soon. This evening I was typing a reply to a thread in CPF and when I hit submit the Internet slammed a page up in front of me! Unauthorized web site! Bulliten Board and clubs.

On the good side Other sites such as my home page with pictures of my kids was unlocked.

So now I must wait till I get back to my room where I can purchase real internet from the locals. (Yes its true...we cab purchase cable and HS internet for our rooms.)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings Greengoose. We're losing GreenLED as a regular poster so it's good to have another old "greenie" return to these pages. Balance is eventually achieved.

Thank you for your service to our country.