What was your flashlight collection 10-12 years ago?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before LEDs.

Mine was a 6V lantern style for the trunk of the car, a mini-mag 2AA for the work tool box and a Mag 3D for my all powerful house light. A light that was actually moderately useful was a Coleman rechargeable that stayed plugged into the wall when not in use and another keychain light that I didn't think was too horrible for the time was an Eveready squeeze light that you could buy most anywhere for $1.99. Usually the squeeze switch mechanism went bad before the batteries died but they were only $1.99 and I never had the incandescent bulb blow on me.

BigBaller

Enlightened
Maglites. I thought those were the greatest thing in the world for so long, then I found out about SureFires just last year.

Delvance

Enlightened
10 to 12 years ago...i would've been a little kid then (like...10 years old haha). I remember during the peak of it i had 13 plastic cheapie torches lol and my favourite was a Eveready 4AA torch/lantern. It was one of those that could convert to a lantern by extending it revealing the bulb contained in a frosted plastic tube. It was pretty good actually lol, the reflector must've been at least 2.2" so it threw really well. I bought 3.6V krypton and halogen bulbs for it and even a 5.2V xenon and fed it the best alkalines i could buy :)hahaha:little kid plays with hotwires), eventually it got lost though :(

Cheapie plastic stuff...they broken one by one and eventually i just threw most of 'em out.

SCblur

Enlightened
Like most of the world, I thought mags were the best out there for a long time. I had a 3D, a 2C, and several minimags. Of course, like Delvance, I had upgraded the bulbs and was feeding it the best batteries, thinking I was getting the brightest light possible. It all upturned one day, when I saw a SF ad in popular science.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
pff, it was hardly what you'd call a collection.

10 years ago...

Maglite Solitaire, Maglite AA (passed on the Solitaire to my kid brother, he still uses that little sucker, gonna get him the ArcMania 3mm MJLED drop-in - Haven't got a clue what happened to the AA mini-mag).

2-3 years ago...

Arc-AAA, Arc AAA-LE, Inova X5T

Today...

See sigline (+ HDS EDC U60 ordered yesterday)

Next purchases will be Mag 2C with Diamond DB-1W-D drop-in (w/ zetex driver) and a Mag 3C with Diamond DB-K2-6.5 watt drop in 'cause I don't have any chunky powerful lights.

CFU

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 years ago? Stock MiniMags, boxy 6v lanterns that had sputtered lenses(Yes, I sputtered the lenses. Throw is good, but I needed spill too.), and an EverReady Big Jim lantern.

That Big Jim got stolen, and I miss it, sniff sniff. That was one hell of a piece of lighting equipment. Massive 6v battery with screw terminals and a sealed beam, seemed to run FOREVER on a battery. I'd mod that sucker and still be using it today. It'd probably drive a 3w Luxeon to full spec for a month straight, and I wouldn't notice it getting dim for a month after that. :) Hmm, I may have to build me a custom replacement. :devil: Sorry for the thread hijack.

:buddies:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ten years ago? I have a few Ray-o-Vacs, a couple of Radio Shack lights, an army angle head, and probably a few I can't remember. I didn't have any premium lights until 4.5 or so years ago.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight collection 10 years ago? A Minimag and a Solitaire. My collection 2 years ago? A broken Minimag and a broken Solitaire. Then I bought a Surefire L2 and it was all downhill from there.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire then....and now.

10-12 years ago? The only 3 lights I owned were 3 Surefire 9N's. Strange as
it may seem, this many years later and they are still at the top of my list :)

Gatsby

Enlightened
This thread will likely sound like a broken record - but I had Maglite's. All sorts of Maglites. 3D (x3), 2D, 3 Minimags, 2 AAA Minimags, 1 Solitaire.

LEDism

Newly Enlightened
Delvance said:
Cheapie plastic stuff...they broken one by one and eventually i just threw most of 'em out.
I just gave away my last 2 plastic lights, a Brinkmann 2D LED and a 3AAA Rayovac LED.

I used to have a plastic Duracell 2D that I kept in a bicycle flashlight mount on my handlebars, a Mag Solitaire, a 4D Mag, and a 2AA MiniMag.

The MiniMag died and I threw it out (maybe I shoulda tried harder to fix it, oh well).

The Solitaire is still around, but it now has a Tektite TL-3 LED drop-in.

The 4D Mag now has the MagLED drop-in.

I had one of those cheap plastic lights that Radio Shack used to give away years ago, but I think I gave it away.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglights, all types, Copper AA in belt clip, Solitaire on keys etc. Also my most expensive torch to date, a Surefire 6P original which I bought for about £80, which was an incomprehensible amount to me then. What can I say, I flipped out in the shop and paid cash!!!
That 6P lasted a long time until it fell out of the holster in which I always carried it, in a local park. Big sigh!!.
I wonder what we'll all be carrying in 2016? I would hope infinitely variable LEP surgically implanted finger lights with matching thought controlled eye filters. Rather that than sticks with flaming rags wrapped around them dipped in animal fat, but whatever...

Be lucky....

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
A bunch of maglites that I thought were the best lights in the world. Little did I know. I did read an article in 1999 predicting the growth of LED lights. My first LED was a Super-Bright PAL Light.

robertl999

Newly Enlightened
We had 2 or 3 - 3 cell Mags. But if you went back 30 years ago, we had those free plastic Radio Shack flashlights that they would give out with a coupon from their circular
smile.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I had a bunch of cheap incands. of all sizes, but especially the little ones. Had a 6V spotlight and, of course, a Mini-Mag and a couple Solitaires. Even then I was a flashaholic.

Geoff

amanichen

Enlightened
Re: Surefire then....and now.

I had a dual-bulb 4AA light called the "Doubleheader" and a Pelican Super Mitylite, AAA version, albeit more around 8 years ago (I'm 23 so I don't exactly have 10 years of flasholism to recount.)

seery said:
10-12 years ago? The only 3 lights I owned were 3 Surefire 9N's. Strange as
it may seem, this many years later and they are still at the top of my list :)
It's not strange, it's called Nostalgia, and (in the US especially) we're suckers for it.

Last edited: