Dropped my SFIII, broken Kroll?

ianb

Enlightened
I was unlucky enough to drop my prized Super flashlight III :( last week while trying to hold it and a HD45 on a rat my wife was trying to shoot. Well, what did I do but fumble it, only to hear that gut wrenching sound of your favorite light hitting concrete :ohgeez: , 30 seconds earlier I had been standing on grass, why not then!

Well now it has a tiny ding on the head (phew) and a damn great gunge on the tailcap, luckily it seems to have taken to force. Well now it only works when the switch it pushed in, either to turn off or on and never in between as the switch is released?

Can I just replace the kroll switch?

...but, can I mod the switch to be 2 stage? I know some people have 2 stage, but I'm not sure which derivative's or how they are dimmed? I have a 750mA driven lux5 version.

thanks,

Ian :)

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
That looks completely ruined, you ought to just send whats left to me... :naughty:

Good luck, you should be able to replace the switch without any trouble...

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, Ian. I know how important the mint condition was to you.

Some people have extra tail caps/switches, so you may be able to just replace it and get it back to near mint. Check with ArcMania before you go with the two-stage switch. Some of those two-stages can damage the driver.

Josey

ianb

Enlightened
Josey, thanks :), I must admit this light is a keeper, I really like it. So usable, as a good light should be, 2 stage is a nice idea, but working is my first stop :)

I cetainly wouldn't want to damage the inside as that would be impossible to replace!

thanks, Ian :)

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ianb,

The battery probably just compressed the kroll springs. If you fiddle with them such as stretching them out (probably mainly the small one) it might work ok. You can do a two stage mod on the kroll and then use it as a twisty on/off at the head. That's better than using the tail as a twisty on/off. There are some better two stage solutions IMO such as a silver spring on the head and using the head as two stage twisty activation and leaving the kroll as on/off. I'm not doing any of this but if you end up needing a replacement tail please PM me.

ianb

Enlightened
Thanks Bogus1, so to get the spring out, can I take the switch to bits, or do I just squeeze it out(small spring that is)? I may well end up PMing you though :)

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

The kroll's are very cheap and there's no reason not to just replace them as they screw in and out and are a wear item. However there should be no need to take the switch apart to stretch the little spring. Just hold the bottom wide coil in on the switch while you stretch it from the end. That has worked for me a few times before when the same thing happened.

ianb

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys, I've added a froll switch to an order for Luxeions I was making, so hopefully that should do it.

ianb

Enlightened
ianb said:
...I've added a froll switch to an order for Luxeions...
Well I didn't get my froll just a Kroll instead :D, as for my luxeions :rolleyes:
...anyhow its fixed the problem and it :rock: :rock: again :)

I will now keep it in the damn pouch when I'm not using it :ohgeez: , thanks for the help,

Last edited: