Fenix L0P Hi/Lo mod

Bogus

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Here's my L0P Hi/Lo mod.

I noticed that when the AAA battery is pushed all the way into the battery tube there leaves a small gap of about 2-3mm at the top. So I made a small resistor "pill".

The SMD resistors are arranged in a star pattern - one pill I made had 4 x 10R to give total 2.5R. The other pill I made had 4 x 22R to give total 5R.

The plastic mask on the left is to prevent the pill from shorting against the bottom of the battery.

Here's another shot of the pills:

The battery is held upside down and the pill placed on the bottom negative plate:

The battery tube then slides over the top and the head screwed on.

Here're some beam shots - Fenix L1P using Energizer 2500mAh, L0P using Sanyo 1000mAh :

1. Left - L1P, Right - L0P

2. Left - L1P on low (5 Ohm tail cap mod), Right - L0P

3. Left - L1P on Low, Right - L0P with 2.5 Ohm Pill (4x10R)

4. Left - L1P on Low, Right L0P with 5 Ohm Pill (4x22R)

The distance from light to "wall" is about 9 feet so you can't see the spill - only the hotspot. The only white "wall" I have in my house is the ceiling!

I also only have a simple digital camera so the exposure's different on each picture. But at least it gives you an idea of what the beamshots looks like.

I call this L0P Hi/Lo rather than dual stage because it's not a simple twist to the head or tail to give you a different level - you have to remove the pill to get back full level but I think this is very handy since the Low will be sufficient for most EDC use and when required the pill can be removed in 10 secs to give you full power.

I've also done some other mods which I'll post at a later date - 2 stage QIII, my own personal 1xRCR123 EDC, MAG mods and HID mods. I've gone from LED to Hot wire to HID!

Thanks for looking,

Bogus

teststrips

Enlightened
I was excited there for a second about an easy 2-stage mod with a drop in-pill.... But with having to totally remove the pill for high, I think I'll pass. I'd probably lose the pill.

Great mod for those organized people though.