Fenix L2T and Surefire L2 comparison?

ychang

Newly Enlightened
I am just wondering, if, put the build quality aside (it seems to me the SF is more ruggedly built), how difference is the actual output between these two lights? I mean, by looking at it from human eyes.
The throw chart from flashlightreviews.com shows these two to be pretty close (L2T slightly higher) in throw, and L2 wins big in the "overall" on high level(what does this "overall" mean to human eyes).

Thanks for the help.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T probably has better throw.

The Surefire L2 is a great flood light. You have to remember the Sure L2 is a using a 5 Watt Luxeon. The L2T is using a 3 Watt luxeon.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think between the two there's about a 2x difference in hte lumens rating. The SF light is rated at 100 lumens whereas the L2T is rated for around 50 lumens. SF also is very conservative with their lumens ratings as well. ernsanada is correct as in the L2t is more of a throw light whereas the L2 is more of a flood. That's mainly due to the 5watt LED. It's not much of a thrower and most of them even have a donut in the middle. That's just the nature. Yuo've also got to keep in mind that the L2t should have a longer runtime than the SF. THe L2 also runs off CR123 cells and the L2t runs off of AA batteries. The L2t also prefers NiMH batteries based on the regulation comparison charts between the two. It's kind of a tough comparison since the two share virtually nothing besides the 2 stage capability.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the thing is, the L2's throw would probably be close to the L2t's with much bigger coverage.

Comparing the two in person would review the difference between night and day. I compared my L4 to a L2T at the last CPF get-togerther and I had no regret in paying for the L4. THe L2 is brighter than the L4 BTW.

the limitation of the Lux III means the L2t cannot put out more than 40-45 lumens out the front without over driving the LED. The L2 puts out easily 100+ lumens. That's a lot of difference.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There simply is no comparison. Build quality and technology aside, the L2 is a wall of bright light and completely smokes the L2T in total output.
Runtime is another factor though ... :D
Think of the L2 as a 15 or so lumens general illumination tool with a "balls to the wall" high level that is astoundingly bright.

Some indoor pics:

Fenix P1 (have no L2T, sorry)
indoorP1.jpg

SF L4
indoorL4.jpg

SF L2
indoorL2.jpg

bernie

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, very different lights. The Fenix has a tight, piercing (somewhat) spot with a broad, but relatively dim sidespill. The Surefire has a broad spot and a much, much brighter sidespill. Technically speaking, the Fenix might throw its spot a bit further, but you'll never notice it if you shine an L2 next to it, because the L2 will illuminate EVERYTHING in front of it, rather than just a little spot.