HDS EDC Ultra Reliability?

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased my first HDS EDC Ultra 60 GT and love it!! What a great little torch!! I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their units. Specifically I was wondering how well the switch holds up since it gets so much usage being the sole means of selecting all the features. It seems to be really well constructed. Of course I have had mine two days. Any input from long term owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the U60 when they came out and I've used it a lot without any problems at all. I purchased the B42 XRGT from Batterystation the other day and like it even more than the U60. They are extremely well made and the owner has excellent customer service and really cares about his lights.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
lrp - surprised to see that you like the Basic 42xrgt more than your U60 - care to share why?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only like the B42 XRGT more because I know for sure that it has a perfect tint and the extended runtime (maybe something psychological)! That said I can't tell any difference between the two as far as the tint is concerned...both seem to run forever!!

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey lrp, just curious to know if you have tried the lanyard ring that is available as an accesory from some of the distributors. I was considering getting one from Lighthound, however, I don't know how easily it will scratch the finish on the light. If that is the case, then I would rather do without it.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of the rings for my basic 42. Since it is also made of aluminum, I don't think there will be any problem with the HA finish. What I found was that I did not like where it is positioned on the light and that it slides up and down the battery tube. It also does not lend itself to be easily used in a ripoffs holster or the holster that AW sells because of the position of the ring. I like the idea of having a lanyard, but the ring for the HDS just wasn't what I was looking for.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, lrp. I can appreciate how much the psychological factor can play in =)

Out of curiosity, how much appreciable difference between the two max brightnesses can you tell?

GregWormald

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Two things--
Lanyard rings--I've found that a pair of O-rings works well. I got them fairly thin and tight and with the lanyard attached they do not move. They also provide a nice hand-grip and are unobtrusive in use or in my shirt pocket.
B series lights--The backdoor to re-programming B's has been posted in the HDS forum. Read the story there, but simply replace the number 10 with 250 and the Ultimate instructions apply to the Basic lights!
Greg

Roccomo

Enlightened
mcmc said:
Out of curiosity, how much appreciable difference between the two max brightnesses can you tell?

Max beam on both seem very close to me. You can tell, by just the smallest amount, that a bit more light comes out of the 60.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
After finding out about the "backdoor" I've clicked my B42XRGT over a 1000 times. The switch is still holding up just fine. I suspect if the switch is a weak point we will see some failures cropping up soon with everybody clicking away to get to the backdoor.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roccomo said:
Max beam on both seem very close to me. You can tell, by just the smallest amount, that a bit more light comes out of the 60.
I said the same thing 2 weeks ago and was told that the difference is noticable.
perhaps more noticable than the difference between 60 and 85 lumens. I can see how the 42 XR GT could be appreciated by an owner of a U60.
Having been fortunate enough to get one of those 42 XR GTs, that U 60 on sale out became a neccessity. It's on the way from Baterry Station.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HDS will replace the switch if it fails. They did with mine. In terms of durability, I've dropped mine countless times on the floor from above waist height to rolling off my bed. The bezel is already noticeable dented but it still functions flawlessly.

Roccomo

Enlightened
tsask said:
I said the same thing 2 weeks ago and was told that the difference is noticable.
perhaps more noticable than the difference between 60 and 85 lumens. I can see how the 42 XR GT could be appreciated by an owner of a U60.
Having been fortunate enough to get one of those 42 XR GTs, that U 60 on sale out became a neccessity. It's on the way from Baterry Station.

tsask, I'm going off of my U60 XRGT and my B42GT. I was suprised that when both pointed at the wall from 6 feet or so away the difference was very subtle. I'll have to try them side by side outside at distance to see if that makes a difference.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Roccomo said:
tsask, I'm going off of my U60 XRGT and my B42GT. I was suprised that when both pointed at the wall from 6 feet or so away the difference was very subtle. I'll have to try them side by side outside at distance to see if that makes a difference.

It's true that there is very little difference between 60 and 42 lumens.
On my U60GT level 2 (42) is only slightly dimmer to the eye than level 1 (60). Even level 3 (30) doesn't seem half as bright as level 1 (60), but it is in fact half as bright.

Our eyes perceive light intensity logarithmically, so a 30% difference in brightness is seems like a whole lot less.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Senna, no I haven't tried the lanyard ring. I have a Kydex holster that was made for mine.
MCMC, I think the difference in my opinion is quite a bit between the highs of the two, however, I rarely use a high beam for anything so either is ok.
HDS makes fine lights!

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my U60 for over a year with no problems. I now run an 18650 pack exclusively (you can't argue with 2 hours and 15 minutes on max with this setup). I use the U60 as a helmet mounted light for commuting on my bike. For this application the distinction between the 60 lumen setting and the 30 and 42 lumen settings is very noticeable. When you are going 20-25 mph, more brightness is greatly appreciated (gives you more time to dodge obstacles).

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pi_is_blue said:
I have had my U60 for over a year with no problems. I now run an 18650 pack exclusively (you can't argue with 2 hours and 15 minutes on max with this setup). I use the U60 as a helmet mounted light for commuting on my bike. For this application the distinction between the 60 lumen setting and the 30 and 42 lumen settings is very noticeable. When you are going 20-25 mph, more brightness is greatly appreciated (gives you more time to dodge obstacles).

How did you get the 18650 battery to fit in the U60??