HDS EDC Ultimate 60 or Night-Ops Gladius

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
With the good deals going on these 2 lights, which would you choose - HDS EDC Ultimate 60 or Night-Ops Gladius, if you could only get one? (and yes, I already know the standard answer is get both!)

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would imagine the Gladius is brighter, but I think it's pretty big too. What is the deal going on the Gladius? I never heard.

Brian Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased both recently and really like them. However, if I could only have one or the other, I'd go with the HDS based on the size and the features.

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
botac has the Gladius for $149 (bad rep though) and I have seen them for $160 a couple of other places.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the tasks for the light. How often will you use it? The HDS will work with LiIons, so more economically.
It's smaller, so easier to wear. But perhaps you like the larger size of the Gladius?

Both good lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what type of usage you might need it for?

I have had both; presently have a HDS U60GT.

The Gladius is very tough and well made, bright with good spill and adjustable light levels.

HDS is truly an EDC, very flexible and bright; easy to use, adjustable levels.

I would pick the HDS to carry and for many tasks.

jeffb

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
Hard to compare the two I think. Two different sets of capabilities. For all around general use and carry though, I'd have to go with the U60 for its size and ease of carry. Now if I was going to use it for hiking in the dark, the Gladius would definitely be the way to go. It just depends on your use and needs...

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
X-racer - what would be the reason you'd want the Gladius for hiking use? I was thinking of getting the U60 as well, and would use it for hiking here and there.

If I did get a U60 - was thinking of getting it w/o the GT, as it would save me $10 bucks - but it seems many are getting the GT. Are people expecting the tint to be that poor? (I had a 42XRGT before, and it wasn't even completely white, it was reddish tinted, and remember someone saying somewhere that even w/o GT the tint will be fine, slightly reddish or yellowish, maybe, but very close still to white) or are they getting it for some other unknown reason?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
$10 = cheap insurance

probably safe either way. but if you are going to pay $125, why not $135? i'm not much of a gambler; i just ordered the GT

that said, i', sure >99% of the non GTs are just fine...

X Racer

Enlightened
mcmc said:
X-racer - what would be the reason you'd want the Gladius for hiking use? I was thinking of getting the U60 as well, and would use it for hiking here and there.
I think the beam qualities are better suited, more overall light, easier to carry because of its size, more runtime at equal light levels, etc...

Both lights are excellent though and either one will cover just about any task you throw at it.

Last edited:

swampus

Newly Enlightened
I love my HDS for hiking. That was the main reason I got it. It had the best packweight/size/performance/versatility ratio that I could find. Heck, I don't even feel that I have to ration or monitor my light usage anymore on extended trips. I'm using as much light as I want. I recently watched a black widow spin her web for almost two hours. Just got back from a six day trip about two weeks ago and, after much use around the house, am still using the same battery. I took one extra Duracell Ultra with me, but didn't even use it. It's still in my pack for next time.

I opted for the GT version for hiking. Tint doesn't bother me if I'm working on the car or something, but when it comes to looking at things as a matter of personal pleasure, it really does make a difference (to me, anyway).