keychain EDC

grinomyte

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked over and over, but I've been searching and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. The closest I've found is something called the Orb Raw, but it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.

I'm looking for a high quality keychainable flashlight. I've eaten through so many of the cheapy button battery leds and I'm getting tired of it, so I'm looking for a permanent replacement.

Cost isn't much of an issue, obviously small is important, but being lightweight is much more important. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

carrot

Flashaholic

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the Arc AAA. Thats what Powernoodle has on his keychain. :) Link.

The Orb Raw is still available. I don't think its optimal for keychain carry though. JMO. Link .

Photon Freedom is another option, but I still greatly prefer the Arc as the Freedom's output drops off quickly, and batteries for it are not available at every Stop and Rob like they are for the Arc. Link .

peace

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I have carried Arc AAA's for many years. They are the last versions before Arc went out of business, version 3.3 I believe. However Arc has been back in business for awhile now so they are again readily available, version 4. Anyway, I am currently using a Mag Solitaire with the 3mm MJLED Arcmania drop in. Personally, I like it. Has nice light, the Solitaire allows for a nice tight little spot. You can get these drop in's from
Lambda
http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/solit.htm
OR
Lighthound
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/arcmania_led_upgrades.htm

The Fenix E1 has also been well received.

You'll get tons of answers, good luck with your search.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent suggestions! I would recommend the ARC AAA & CR2 ION, both are great little pocket lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't know if this would be considered too big, but I currently carry a Dorcy 1AAA keychain light on my keyring. It's the newer version with the shaped lens. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and it works great. Plus, the battery is extremely easy to replace. There is the possible danger that the tailcap button will make contact with something solid in the pocket, turn on, and drain the battery. But this hasn't happened to me.

The tailcap button lets you reach for your keys, and then turn the light on with just one hand. Useful for those times when you need light, but have a bag of groceries or a toddler in one hand.

quokked

Enlightened
carrot said:
The Orb Raw is sold ONLY direct from the UK manufacturer, here: http://www.theorb.co.uk/

There is always the smaller orb Raw the Raw Ns (it uses smaller batteries and has O-rings in it unlike the org. Raw)
which is here http://www.theorb.co.uk/sor.php
I've EDC'd the Raw and it's my general 'wow' light for when i really want to blind people
If money is no object for keychain carry i'd go the Raw Ns
PS.
If you have a m*glight solitare you could just stick one of these puppies in
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/arcmania_led_upgrades.htm
and have SMJ led power on your soli, it's on my 'to buy' list to update my soli

frisco

Enlightened
Never try and argue with an ARC AAA believer.... You'll get chewed up and spit out!

I have the latest version ..... It's just OK.... Maybe it's overhyped!

Very Blue and very weak for me. I love the construction and finish. My next step is to send it to MillerMods for the two speed "Hot Rod" mod.

ModaMag is in production of his keychain creation called "Draco"

frisco

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
once you get your arc back from eric you will also ATTACK all others who might have the temerity to besmirch the arc AAA !:rock: :grin2:
frisco said:
Never try and argue with an ARC AAA believer.... You'll get chewed up and spit out!

I have the latest version ..... It's just OK.... Maybe it's overhyped!

Very Blue and very weak for me. I love the construction and finish. My next step is to send it to MillerMods for the two speed "Hot Rod" mod.

ModaMag is in production of his keychain creation called "Draco"

frisco

vic303

Enlightened
There's always the Peak LED offerings. Aren't some of those still keychain-ring equipped?

kevinm

Enlightened
I carry a Fenix E1 with a Luxeon I swapped in for the Nichia Rigel. The mod is really easy; search for it here and you will find the mod. It produces a very nice beam (much like the L0P), and runs for 3.5 hrs on a single NiMH AAA.

If cost were no impediment, I'd go with the titanium CR2 Ion, the Al-bronze Ion, or the MillerMods vesion of the Peak Matterhorn (maybe in stainless steel if you can con Eric into doing it), in that order. The Arc is just a bit on the ugly side for my taste. Indestuctible, though.

Kevin

monobeg

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
The Orb Raw is still available. I don't think its optimal for keychain carry though. JMO.

I'm interested that the Orb Raw/NS hasn't dominated this discussion more? Why is it not optimal? 2 outputs, bright, small???

What is the throw like on all of these, are any of them (Orb in particular) appropriate for "situational awareness" in dark carparks etc?

Delvance

Enlightened
Orb Raw has fantastic throw considering it's a 1 cell keychain light. IIRC, my Orb Raw measures about 1200 lux or so.

EDC.JPG

:thumbsup:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
most of the options, and where to get the orb raws have more or less been posted. i would also consider the Jils as well, which are only slightly larger than the Raw Ns, and can be smaller than the regular Raw.

i'm not much into AAA lights, as i just don't really use AAAs, but i do have the Raw Ns, and a motley collection of other lights, and you can see standardized(comparable) beamshots of almost all of them through the links in my sigline. Here're a few pics of some of my small(er) lights. click on any for a larger version.