1AA with throw, plus ceiling-bounce?

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
When the guard-dog gives his single warning-bark at night I'd like a single-AA, hence easily-pocketable, light to throw a pencil beam around: perhaps some 50' or so. And when I come back inside, I'd like to be able to stand it on end to bounce light off the ceiling while I fix myself a drink. (Any excuse.) Any suggestions, please? If it's an Inova I'd be really pleased as I admire their engineering, but do they stand on end? (My X5 can't because the end-button is convex, which is a pity; and I don't know whether they've kept-up the tradition.)

And if a single-AA won't really cut it I'll go to single-CR123; again, is there an Inova that fits both bills, please? (Excuse my ignorance – over here in the UK it's difficult to find anywhere you can see them in the flesh; or rather, flash.)

Thank you,

Pierce the Night.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 1AA with throw, plus candle-mode?

Look at LightFlux. It will do what you want.They are new, but many threads with positive reviews!

carrot

Flashaholic

Inova's lights still do not tailstand.

I find that the Fenix P1 will easily throw 50 feet. It is a single CR123 light, and is available for under $50 USD shipped from Fenix-Store.com. It also tailstands.

Paul6ppca, I have heard that the button of the tailcap may get in the way of tailstandingl; can you confirm?

X Racer

Enlightened

I'll say the Fenix P1 as well... Great price, plenty bright, tailstand ability, etc... There are other lights that fit the bill as well, but the Fenix is a great choice on a small budget.

X Racer

Enlightened

The Fenix L1T is also a fine choice if you want the AA cell...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

"When the guard-dog gives his single warning-bark at night"... You got me thinking there.

I wouln't trust a single AA light to light up the scene and detect potential harm, unless it's very close range, but that wouldn't be safe either. I think for clearing purposes something with a combination of good flood and spot would be better than having to wave the light in every direction to clear it. have you tried to look for something in a dark room using a laser? Not useful! you need some sidespill.

Just my .02

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The maxlite is bright enough but it's pretty big for pockets. TnC's SF has a model that can run on a single regular AA and you can use a low profile 20mm head with decent throw. Or you can use the same AA profile with a Li-ion setup and get a ton of light. TnC's keylux can do this as well with less throw, using either a AA or li-ion sized AA depending on the board. Of course these are priced higher than what's mentioned here.

Isn't ceiling bounce one thing and candle-mode yet another? TnC's lights can actually do candle mode where you remove the head and expose the LED as you would with a mag. In this way they can serve for area illumination outdoors or in large rooms as well where ceiling bounce won't be effective.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know what your budget is, but to me this sounds like a Fenix L1P with the Miller Mod. It takes one AA and has great throw (for a single AA though in that department nothing beats the Maxlite) The advantage of the Fenix MM L1P is that it will also tail stand. The Maxlite won't. Besides, the Maxlite is $290 and the Miller Mod L1P is $65.

mbirds

Newly Enlightened

My LF1 tailstands fine; less interference than my L2T.

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, all, for pointing me in the way of a LightFlux or a Fenix; and away from the Inovas. (A pity the last still don't stand on end.) Thank you, too, for the references to TnC's lights.

Alex GT, that's a valid point about not relying on a single-AA light's beam to quickly detect potential harm; but the fangs-on-legs will quickly contain it, as the point of ingress to the yard is narrow:you could not have known that. I only need to satisfy myself whether it's right to give the order to bite or to call to heel: cats are allowed to go on their way unmolested; cat-burglars, however . . . .

Hogokansatsukan, thank you for the tip about the Fenix L1P with the 'Miller mod'. What is that, please? Also, where may I find one and would you know if they sell to the UK? Sorry if I ask too much.

And Bogus1, you're quite right: I confused 'candle-mode' with ceiling-bounce; I meant the latter. But if either of the current contenders – the LightFocus and the Fenix – do both, I'd be a very happy customer indeed.

One slight confusion across the several replies: which is the Fenix that takes the AA cell again (and which the CR123)?

Thank you all again.

(I will soon be able to) Pierce the Night.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened

Try the Rock River 1xAA. You can pick one up for $12.99 from Target. You can get it to stand up on its tail end if you do not use the lanyard. The throw is very impressive for a small light. Its weakness is using it up close, you get a big donut.

xdanx

Enlightened

IMHO, If you really need throw go with a Surefire Kl1 + Vital gear FB1. It has more than twice the throw of a Fenix L1P/T. Single AA's just won't cut it as outdoor lights. The KL1/Fb1 is a highly pocketable thrower that can tail stand. But if you are really on a budget, go with the Fenix.

Surefire Kl1

Vital Gear FB1

cheap 123a's

The ship to the UK for a decent price

Last edited:

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nearly any light can be placed in a coffee cup, or shot glass (if the light is small enough) and made to point upward towards the ceiling for bounce. It'll be at a slight angle this way, but upwards enough for good bounce effect.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Civictor.... for Under $30.... Peak Pacific with AA tube for Under $50 and Fenix L2P ... if you want something in between.

Peak Pacific with 1 AA tube will give you around 12 - 15 hours of Light on Lithiums...

x2x3x2

Banned
I would recommend Liteflux as it can tailstand, removable reflector module for candle mode if a ceiling happens to be too high or dark color.

Also, the tints will be really good n close to white. Unlike the Fenix line where u can have the choice of blue/purple or yellow/green.