Nuwai TM-800x3 16xAA mod?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how many people are familiar with this light, so here is some more info about it: http://webpages.charter.net/jrmac/cpf-sale-page-1/info_page_5/Nuwai_TM-800X3.htm

You will notice that using 4 x NiMh batts gives better results than 3 x D cells. I was thinking, AA cells are the same length as C cells, so I could use 16 x AA cells in this light, as it's wide enough to fit 4 cells in every row, if you know what I mean.

So, would this work? I'd be wiring the batteries in 4 groups of 4, so that the output voltage should be 4.8v. Also, if I was going to make a battery pack, does anyone know of a pack charger that would charge cells in this configuration?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mike:)

Why do you want to do this?
The chance with 16 batts to get problems is much much higher than with 4.
For example with 4xAccupower 6000mAh cells you will have a safe and good capacity.
With so much solderpoints and wirings you will risk your batts and your light.
Also the internal resistance with 16batts is much higher so you can't make a simple math.

I would'nt do that.

Best regards

_____
Tom

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Better check your numbers. You can't possibly fit 16 AA's into the space of 3 D's. 12 would be the maximum. I'd think going with 4 C cells would be the most convenient way to boost the voltage. At least try it that way first to verify the increased brightness is worth fiddling around with AA's.

(A true modder wouldn't even bother to ask first - they'd just dive in, regardless of the consequences :)

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have got one converted to 4C, I love it; burns a loooong time on Cs, 5000 mAh batteries and is so much brighter on recarchables than alkaline C or Ds. The manufacturer,Shykuang, rates them, the 4 cell at 10-15-20 hours and it looks pretty close. Compared to known illumination sources I would say mine is close to 80-160-220 lumens, could be 240 but I found with any LED arrays they are more of floods and don't have the throw for lumens that I want. I also have two different tints in the three leds. When all LEDs are on one looks bluish and the other two pink or purplish to me, but that is a relative thing because as soon as I put a xenon beam up there with them I get a different impression. All three when on the collimated beam are on the light looks white. I wonder if they mixed the tints on purpose to achieve this? I have seen mixed tints in two Cabelas 6watts which use two Lux III emitters too. You would think this is done on purpose since they buy emitters in large quantities so usually they buy is one tint.

The long burn time of the TM-800x3 varied intensity make it a favorite for me.

I would not even fool with a AA conversion. I want a Miller quad-lux but I doubt it will get the burn time, so I will keep this beauty.

Nuwai gets them from this manufacturer:
http://www.shykuang.com.tw/new%20english_web/index_english.htm
You see they make a 3 and 4 D model. This leads me to believe that they are engineered for 4 cells anyway and they just slip that into a 3 cell tube, cuts down on production costs. I have only seen 3 Ds in the USA, someone on CPF has TM-800x3's for about $75 now. Get it and enjoy.