Can you tell me what kind of spiders these are?

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are pics of 2 spiders that are hanging out around my house. They give me the heeby-jeebies. I hate spiders!!! Does anyone know what kind they are and if they are poisonous? The second pic was taken in complete darkness with my Lumaray pointing at it.

Thanks!

smile.gif

Last edited:

redcar

Enlightened
The top one looks like a "Black and Yellow Argiope". My book doesn't say anything about it being dangerous. Though I would say it looks it. I have those too.

I'll look up the bottom shortly, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Redd

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote from a page about the top one.

You probably have seen the golden garden spider, or Argiope aurantia. The female of this species has a black abdomen with bright yellow bars and often hangs upside down in its large, wheel-shaped web. These webs often extend between shrubs and plants. These spiders are venomous, but the venom is not dangerous to people unless there is an allergic reaction (as with bee stings). They can be very beneficial in your garden, as they help to keep pest insects in check.
See our Field Guide for more about the golden garden spider.

redcar

Enlightened
Picture is a little blury, and I'm no bug man...(birds mostly) so hopefully some expert will chime in.

If you have a book handy look up the Barn Spider. My books don't mention this one as dangerous to people either. Can you get a better pic? Great pic on the top one.

Redd

redcar

Enlightened
Another book here has a pic of a Garden Spider that looks like your pic, but your spider is holding it's legs more like the Barn Spider.

Are you in Illinois littlebrownpup? The Garden's range is from Boston, Mass to the Great Lakes. "The markings on the abdomen sometimes gives the impression of a vertical white line crossed by a conspicuous dark line, inspiring the alternative name, 'Cross Spider'". Do you see that? My books don't mention this one being dangerous to people.

Redd

Kiessling

Flashaholic
That is an easy question.
The answer is ... both are "too big" spiders.
My classification of spiders is short, it is "very tiny" and "too big".
SPiders are trouble. While we all know they are beneficial, they give me the creeps like nothing else. I invite them to be beneficial outside, but not in my appartment.
bernie

BladeZealot

Enlightened
Both are harmless as far as we are concerned.

While these are harmless to man, all spiders are poisonous. This is their means by which they attain prey.

Generally in the US, only the widows and brown recluse have venom of the toxicity to pose a danger to people.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
redcar said:
Picture is a little blury, and I'm no bug man...(birds mostly) so hopefully some expert will chime in.

If you have a book handy look up the Barn Spider. My books don't mention this one as dangerous to people either. Can you get a better pic? Great pic on the top one.

Redd

The brown looking spider has now taken up residence elsewhere so I can't take another picture of it. That one only came out at night and it was so dark when I took that pic.
The black and yellow one is indeed an Argiope, I finally found it online. Thank you redcar. It is out all day in it's web. Creepy.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Berie, I dont like spiders. Anyway, most spiders are so tough that most poisons will not kill them. All you can really do is remove their food supplý to get rid of them.

I have had some luck using strong foggers in the attic, and leaving it soak up there a long time.

While I prefer dogs, cats are actually quite good are ridding your home of bugs, including spiders.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
neither are black widow or brown recluse so nothing to worry about.
we get the big "garden spiders"here too.anything that eats yellow jackets one after another like these do is good!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one in the top photo is one of many in the family of spiders known as "orb weavers". When I was younger (...MUCH younger) in Kankakee, IL, we had them all over the place, and we used to catch them in Mason jars. The bite, although not harmful, IS quite painful. I never found that out the hard way...but one or two of my friends did!

PJD

Illum

Flashaholic
top ones a garden orbweaver
Argiope Aurantia

bottom one...makes me think of a tick
may be a speccies of the spotted Orbweaver, but im not sure...something like species neoscona domiciliorum:candle:, but the leg segments arent red... :thinking:

i dunno about the last one...might want to transfer it to somewhere else...im prety sure its not poisonous, but the red parts looks imtimidating...

Personally I like spiders...theres probably half an aquarium bowl of wolf, crab, and other smaller species of jumping spiders in the house:ohgeez:...if their not poisonous, i leave them alone....no webs have been built for a long time in the house [aint that nice?:grin2:]

remember only kill when necessary:rock:, all insects large and small, poisonous or non poisonous...are all very very devoted mothers...or fathers:grin2:

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
Those garden spiders or orb weavers get pretty big. They usually make a zig zag pattern of thick webbing in the middle of the web. I guess it's a lure to get bugs to fly into the web. I don't know what the bottom one is, but it looks similar to a spider I'll see sometimes. They'll make a perfect, stereotypical web at dusk and sit out all night. Early morning they eat the web (recycling at its finest) and go off into hiding.

Go outside tonight and shine your light around in the grass and brush. You'll see these little reflections all over. More likely than not they're spiders. Spider eyes reflect great. When I was a kid, I'd occasionally go rabbit hunting at night, those spiders suckered me more than a few times.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've got lots of those big garden spiders here in Georgia. I've seen them spin webs as large as 30 feet across. I don't know what that zigzag pattern below its head is for, but I've slways referred to it as a zipper.The smaller spider really does eat its own web strand by strand.

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
ChocolateLab33 said:
The second pic was taken in complete darkness with my Lumaray pointing at it.

Arrrggghhh! That looks W-A-Y too familiar!

A couple of weeks ago I took the dog out at night (without my G2Z) and managed to walk into a couple of big spider webs. Imagine my horror when the web was rebuilt the next morning and this guy was in the middle of it!

Neoscona domiciliorum

The markings on the back are almost completely washed out by the flash, but they look similar. This one is unusually plump.
fd009.jpg

And the webs can be HUGE!
fd008.jpg

taiji

Enlightened
okay, you guys got Chocolatelab33's spiders named.

this spider was in our shack when we were on vacation in the Philippines. This sucker was around 5" toe-to-toe (?) and very quick. I have seen this kind of spider before but never knew the name.

IMG_0410.jpg

spot lighted by LedXtreme Predator.

thanks, taiji

Last edited:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Spiders really give me the creeps. I have two of those Black and Yellow Argiope's in the corners of my house. Weird, it is one of the spiders I won't kill on sight.