New LED MiniMag, modified to use a Nite Ize tail cap switch

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the threads on the new MiniMaglite LED flashlight, and decided to go and see if the local Wally's World in Cottage Grove carried them. Yes, they had the 2AA, 3AA LED Mini-Mags, and also the 2D Mag. Didn't want the 2D Mag as I know the LED is not sinked properly. Anyway, I purchased the 2AA version, took it back to the shop, popped in the provided 2AA, and measured the brightness. I measure about 1,300 lux @ 1 meter. Not too bad. Very nice narrow beam with good side spill. I then wanted to try one of the tail cap switches I have from Nite-Ize: uh-oh! The length of the tube has been lengthened just enough so that the after market switch does not work. The stock tail cap is also longer than the incandescent Mini-Mag, and also, the threading is different. After-market tail cap makers, be warned! Anyway, I noticed that tube is too long. Oh, I can cut off the last .25" or so, remove the threads and all, and re-thread it. Soooooooo........ that's what I did. Now I have a neat 2AA LED Minimag, with a momentary on/clicky tail cap switch. :)

So if you buy one of these, it's a good light for sure. All the ones who make drop in mods for the Minimag, circuits, whatever, look out! :eek: Now those who make aftermarket tail cap switches have to redesign.

Next I'll see if I can remove the circuit board and tweak it to pump out more power. :)

I wanted to post about this, and I didn't think it was appropriate to post about it in the Elektro Lumens forum.

Comments?

Wayne

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I have no idea why they lengthened the tailcap. They should of shortened the stock one since they don't need space for a spare bulb!!! Only reason I can think of is the new tailcap makes contact that might be self cleaning as you un-screw it and sort of wipes the surface vs just using the threads which may oxidize/etc.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Nice. I have no idea why they lengthened the tailcap. They should of shortened the stock one since they don't need space for a spare bulb!!! Only reason I can think of is the new tailcap makes contact that might be self cleaning as you un-screw it and sort of wipes the surface vs just using the threads which may oxidize/etc.

Maybe they changed the tail cap threading and lengthened the tube to throw off the aftermarket switch makers? Now, if they want to again make a tail cap switch for the new LED Minimag, they have to redesign, etc, a process with a big company that can take a long time, and expense.

Yes, aluminum oxidizes over time. Always wondered what effect that has on electrical continuity? Perhaps just the inserting and removing of the tail cap is sufficient to remove any natural oxidation?

Wayne

vortechs

Enlightened
ElektroLumens said:
Yes, aluminum oxidizes over time. Always wondered what effect that has on electrical continuity?

Oxidation is the issue that the Caig Laboratories solutions (DeoxIT & ProGold) are intended to deal with.

If you don't already have a bunch of them, the DeoxIT & ProGold 6ml pens are available at your local Radio Shack. They are on clearance so you'd better hurry. If you don't have them and can't find them, just send me a PM or email and I'll send you a set of them.