candle-mode Question

Illum

Flashaholic
As all minimag users know, theres a "candle mode" option for the minimag lights, but does anyone actually use that feature? :anyone:

I bought a sammie a while ago, a YC2002 no-name:ohgeez:, its in the minimag without the o-ring or the optic to focus it or provide a snug fit:ohgeez:. with the medicre nite-ize clickie. I use it quite often, since its loose in the minimag body, it flickers often:naughty:...like a real candle.:grin2:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer ceiling bounce. It provide diffuse light and it is easier on the eyes when looking around the room. Even when not looking directly at a light in candle mode it is still irritating to see in my peripheral vision.

thezman

Enlightened
Oddjob said:
I much prefer ceiling bounce. It provide diffuse light and it is easier on the eyes when looking around the room. Even when not looking directly at a light in candle mode it is still irritating to see in my peripheral vision.

+1
My thoughts exactly, unless of course there is no ceiling to bounce off of.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Although not often, I do use and enjoy candle mode.

Once I came all sweaty after a Tennis match. Come to find out the power was out. So I used the old ceiling bounce in the bathroom, with the additional aid of the bathroom mirror, and took a shower.

It might not be something I use often, but it is good to have when needed and/or wanted.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Back whenI used mini-mags, I found the candle mode very irritating to my eyes. Cieling bounce is much better.

Illum

Flashaholic
ic, well thanks guys, ceiling bounce....I do that quite often, espectially with the SL PP 4AA, too much throw dont know where to put it...but up:grin2:

Culhain

Enlightened
I've used the candle-mode many times while camping and really appreciate that feature.

Indoors, I have never used a light for ceiling bounce, but am about to remedy that. :)

Just bounced some and suppose that it could be usefull, but all things considered I prefer bouncing off walls.

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ceiling bounce works fine if you have a small enough room, enough lumens and or enough battery capacity. Ceiling bounce is meaningless if this equation doesn't work in your favor or if you are outdoors. Basically the understanding of this really illuminates the environment a poster is accustomed to. I have come to understand by the posts on the forum just how few flashaholics enjoy total darkness as the rule, save the moon and stars.

Living in the wilderness means ceiling bounce can become either a luxury or a useless term. You can run lights on a lower level with candle mode, (conserving batteries) and still see things when ceiling bounce with the same parameters isn't sufficient. If you have a large space, ceiling bounce will concentrate the lumens and candle mode will get lumens around the space more efficiently. Sure if you have enough lumens and battery capacity ceiling bounce is king as evidenced by conventional indoor lighting. Indirect lighting is always best.

It's the ultimate YMMV. If you live in a city you experience ambient lighting, generally smaller spaces, and shorter periods of black outs. The cities are always the priority for restoring utilities. If you use your lights exclusively indoors your needs are very limited. If you use your lights in a lighted city all you need to do is illuminate the tunnel in front as ambient light has your back and sides covered. However in the country you need to spread it around like only a lantern or candle mode can.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Bogus1 said:
I have come to understand by the posts on the forum just how few flashaholics enjoy total darkness as the rule, save the moon and stars.

Living in the wilderness means ceiling bounce can become either a luxury or a useless term. .... However in the country you need to spread it around like only a lantern or candle mode can.

mmmm :thinking:
good point, I forgot about specifying the application, a ceiling bounce is...heh, pretty useless unless theres a fog and for entertainment reasons.

Personally I'm scared of total darkness, darkness acts as a wall. having a little light goes very far. for a typical bedroom a single LED is enough, provided night vision sets in.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
This weekend I purchased a 2AA MagLED, and played with candlemode vs ceiling bounce. In some cases candlemode was easier on the eyes. It all depends upon what you are doing.

It is a nice option to have, but on the MagLED it looks like this may be the reason they removed the lanyard mounting hole? I don't think I'll use it that much, especially because I am worried about the light falling over and landing head-first on the floor! (You know it will, by virtue of the same irresistable force that causes your bread to land butter-side down!)

Cheers!

P.S. The 2AA MagLED is a nice surprise. Good value for the $$, and I like the ability to adjust from spot to flood.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
thezman said:
+1
My thoughts exactly, unless of course there is no ceiling to bounce off of.

Just put a white plastic cup over the lit end, works a treat.

(Not the thick plastic !!!)

Illum

Flashaholic
TORCH_BOY said:
I used to do the same with my 2 D mag during blackouts

2D in candlemode? :thinking:
interesting....i didnt know.
me = n00b

I tried ceiling bounce with it....meh, without the necessary optic for the li77le sammie, the ceiling bounch gave me a little trickle of light...not very useable. :awman:
So i pulled out the biggie, the mag 6D with xenon and tried ceiling bounce it...the outcome was the ceiling lamp was dimmer than the 6D :caution: :laughing::huh:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also always do the grocery bag trick. Place a white plastic grocery bag over the light and it diffuses the light in all directions making a flashlight like a lantern. Assuming the light doesn't need constant cooling/heatsinking so it doesn't overheat.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
:candle:
I have gone camping several times I carry a LED lantern made by Innovage for ambient light purposes, walking by the camp not for direct lighting. For direct lighting I have this 17 LED w/aaa batteries works great. Carry also a hanger to bend over a tree branch to hang the lantern a few feet away. Also carry a neck lanyard for hanging a photon freedom clone. Works in a way as to light the path in front of your feet. Especially in the woods dont want to walk in a piece of crap or step on a snake. :candle:

For heavy backup lighting a SF G2 just in case a wild animal to blind it, someone else falls, or in that emergency situation. Oh yeah If you camp, carry a good lighter or magnesium starter found in WALMART dont break your bulbs to start a fire. Geez:rant:

FRED

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've found that the Bayer Aspirin plastic bottles (100 count)
fit the Mini-Mag AA flashlights very nicely.
Pushes on quite easily, yet won't fall off unintentionally.

Gives a very nice, soft, omni-directional flood.
Not that glarey, irritating, candle-mode nonsense.

Reminds me of a small, short & fat "fluorescent bulb" .

Soak the bottle in hot water, to remove the paper label.

If you really wanna' remove ALL traces of the label,
simply spray WD-40 on, and let soak fer' a couple minutes.

Of course, wash off the WD-40 afterwards.
smile.gif

Can hang anywhere (use a paperclip in the lanyard hole),
or stand on end. (if you are careful not to knock it over !)

And it's a great combo with the Nite-Ize 3-LED drop-ins.