Inova T3 vs T5 brightness

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I just (finally) got a T3 a couple of days ago and I'm trying to decide if I want a T5 or not. I know the T5 is supposedly a 4 watt light & the T3 is supposedly a 3.2 watt light but just how much brighteris the T5? Is this an obvious difference or would I be just as well off getting another T3?
I don't care about the T5 using 3 batteries. (Battery Station's are &1.50 each + shipping)

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T5 is about 20% brighter than any of my T3's. Its noticeable, but not not massive. I usually like the T3 because of size. If I didn't care about size, the T5 would be a great choice.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I've got the T2, T3, and T4. The T3 is a little brighter than the T2, and the T4 is a little brighter than the T3. The T4 and T5 should be about the same brightness. If you are looking at getting a T5, you might want to check out the T4, its basically the same light but it is rechargeable. The T4 is a little more expensive up front, but will pay for itself by not needing 123's (3 at a time!). Just my $.02

Roger

Wrangler

Enlightened
Just a question.
Can`t the T5 be run on 2 x 17500`s?
If it can, then I`d prefer the T5 over the T4 as you can always have 2 spare 17500`s with you and won`t be without light when batteries are empty.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
It should. I think that's what someone said he was using in his 3 battery Nuwai 5 watt. Wouldn't two of these batteries give longer life & more light thn the one battery in the T4?

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Wrangler said:
Just a question.
Can`t the T5 be run on 2 x 17500`s?
If it can, then I`d prefer the T5 over the T4 as you can always have 2 spare 17500`s with you and won`t be without light when batteries are empty.

You can also buy replacement/extra batts for the T4. I believe that they are about $25, but they are small (same size as 2 CR123s).

Roger

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
z96Cobra said:
You can also buy replacement/extra batts for the T4. I believe that they are about $25, but they are small (same size as 2 CR123s).

Roger
But they have to be charged while their in the light. You can't keep one battery on the charger & another in the light. You'd have to charge on take it out the light and then put the next battery in the light and charge it. You can't keep one in the charger ready to swap with a dead cell.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
But they have to be charged while their in the light. You can't keep one battery on the charger & another in the light. You'd have to charge on take it out the light and then put the next battery in the light and charge it. You can't keep one in the charger ready to swap with a dead cell.

I have enough "down time" to charge one battery (2 hours) and then swap in another battery for a charge (another 2 hours). Since the Inova battery is a Lithium Ion cell, it wouldn't need to be kept in the charger. I think I read that the 17500s are also lithium cells, so no need to keep 'em on charge all of the time either.

Roger

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
z96Cobra said:
I have enough "down time" to charge one battery (2 hours) and then swap in another battery for a charge (another 2 hours). Since the Inova battery is a Lithium Ion cell, it wouldn't need to be kept in the charger. I think I read that the 17500s are also lithium cells, so no need to keep 'em on charge all of the time either.

Roger

I meant that if you could charge the batteries out side of the light you'd always have a charged set of batteries ready to go rather than having to put the entire light in the charge & wait for the battery to charge. I doubt if it would ever really be necessary but if the need arises it'd be nice to be able to just snatch the charged cells out of he charger put 'em in the light & put the dead cells in the charger.

pilou

Enlightened
z96Cobra said:
The T3 is a little brighter than the T2,

I am surprised. According to flashlightreviews.com, the T3 should be noticeably brigther. After all, it drains 2 CR123 batteries in less than 2.5 hours whereas the T2 runs for almost six hours with one pair [ tests ].

and the T4 is a little brighter than the T3. The T4 and T5 should be about the same brightness.

Based again on flashlightreview.com, the T4 is actually slightly dimmer than the T3. Based on the Lux numbers, that should be barely noticeable though, if at all. A number of people have commented that the T4 is not any brighter than the T3, and that the T5 should be brighter than both. Inova probably exaggerated the T4 output so that their most expensive light doesn't look too bad compared to the cheaper Ts. This way, it is at least tie with the T5, when in reality it probably barely ties with the T3.