WARNING!!! Don't use IQ Switch on 2AA Minimag LED

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I thought that I'd try my Nite-Ize IQ switch on my 2AA MiniMag LED, and it didn't like the LED version. Switch is now shot. I had to stretch the spring to make contact, but it did fit OK, I guess it just saw too much current.

ROger

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very disapointing to hear this. The whole reason I bought the IQ was to run it with this light. Any chance it was just a defective switch?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've borrowed the switch and tried that intermittently, thought it's nice and that I should get one some time -- until I've read Quickbeam's review.

I'll just forget it and grab another TCS-1 reverse clickies instead.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
They finally came into my town (Tampa FL). I got a silver 2 AA. I decided to try the IQ. I put in the supplied batts and turned it on after doing the spring strech. It lite up...I started to focus it and it blinked out...pressing the button did nothing. But then I realised I had shut it of by twisting the head down and turned off the whole thing.

After backing the head out and pressing the button again it lite right back up. It works fine...blinks rapidly 3~4 times as the 15 minute shut down aproaches. As stated before it cuts the brightness down by about half even on the 100% power setting. I put in some tired rechargables from my L2T and they work fine too...although dimmer the the alkline.

I`m not sure if I like the IQ or not. I`ll live with it a while...see if it might grow on me...somehow.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm using one and the other is still in the package. The one I'm using only have 2 brightness and 1 strobe level, so it's not performing like what Nite-Ize claims. Putting in new batteries (alkys) made no difference. I've tried the switch with both the standard Mini lamp and the TerraLux TLE-5 led replacement bulbs - no difference. Anybody else experience the same? Or is mine defective?

I guess I'm not too worried about it 'cause I'm still using it. BTW, I have the old style Mini, not the new MM Led.

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Badbeams said:
Very disapointing to hear this. The whole reason I bought the IQ was to run it with this light. Any chance it was just a defective switch?

I've had it on a regular Minimag for over a month and it worked fine. I have another IQ on a minimag with the Nite-Ize 3 LED replacement and it has also worked fine. After killing it on the Minimag LED, I tried it on both "regular" Minimags and it will not work. YMMV!!!

Roger

Latest posts