Pierce M10 (W & N Optics) or CR2 Ion & Fire~Fly III?

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, I've been thinking about getting another pocket light and have had my eyes on the Fire~Fly III for a while. I've already got a Fexix P1 (which I love...thanks 4sevens) that I EDC but would like a similar sized light that offers better flood.
I'm thinking that my options are: a Pierce M10 with the CPF special offer of both the Wide and Narrow optics (when it comes available again) or do I still pick up the F~F3 (since I really would like one) and get the CR2 Ion for the flood capabilities?
I like the M10 except for the fact that it doesn't have the regular split ring attachment capabilities and that you have to open it to switch from low to high.
Can anyone that owns all three, or any of these for that matter, give some insight into each model's capabilities and comparisions among all three, ie best for throw, flood, overall brightness, and runtime?
I know the CR2 Ion and F~F3 option is going to run about $300US which is kind of steep for me right now.
Money no object I'd get the Ion for the flood and the F~F when it becomes available since Doug only does them in batches.
Ah, decisions decisions.......Any input would be appreciated.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only comment on the Ion. It is all flood, and I didn't find it particularly bright. Many folks like theirs though. Just don't expect a ton of light. At least thats the way my eyeballs saw it.

As for the M10, the CPF deal is back today (9/7/06).

My personal favorite of all the tiny ones I've seen (have not handled a FFIII) is the Fenix P1, which you already have. Especially as its half the price of the others.

peace

ledaholic

Enlightened
I have to say if you want flood, the M-10 with wide optics is ALL flood. I picked one up on the last special and it has become my new EDC.
I don't worry about the power setting cause low is way bright enough for most of my EDC needs. It came with the wide optics installed and they mean WIDE! I put the narrow in and have kept it that way since. I carry it in my pants pocket all the time and it doesn't bother me at all. It is built well and operates smoothly. Looks pretty nice too.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I had all three! I only have the alum. bronze CR2 and really do like it a lot, two useful beams (all flood) and built like a tank.

StanTeate

Enlightened
The FireFly is NOT a flood light. The volume of light out of the FF is much more than the CR2 Ion but you WILL get a hotspot. Sidespill is not bad. My 2cents.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fire~Fly III has a fairly broad beam and bright sidespill. Broader and brighter than the P1. It's inbetween the P1 beam and a Surefire L2/L4 beam. The Ion is all flood, which I love for a keychain light.

I would venture to guess that the FF3 will fulfill your desires without needing the Ion, so I would suggest just picking one of those up first, and then only look at an Ion or M10 with wide optics if you're still wanting more flood. For an EDC light I'd stick with a CR123A (or R123A) based light rather than the Ion simply because of runtime and battery usage.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
The Fire~Fly III has a fairly broad beam and bright sidespill. Broader and brighter than the P1...I would venture to guess that the FF3 will fulfill your desires without needing the Ion, so I would suggest just picking one of those up first...For an EDC light I'd stick with a CR123A (or R123A) based light rather than the Ion simply because of runtime and battery usage.
I have a FF3, had a CR2 ION and endorse everything Planterz said. Get the FF3 first.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Wow, first nothing for a few days then a sudden influx on replies!! I was starting to get a complex!:huh:

Thanks for the insight. I too wish I could justify all three right now but will have to hold out a while. I am anxiously waiting word from DSpeck on the FF3s and think I'll go with that first.

As for the KL4 head on an FB1 Body, I think I'll eventually go for something along those lines too. Just last night I was looking at the Vital Gear bodies at Lighthound's site.

Cheers..

liqht

Newly Enlightened
i don't have a firefly, but i can speak to the cr2 ion and m10i.

the beam of the m10i with wide optic is very similar to the ion, although the ion's beam appears to be wider overall. still, both have a total flood beam with minimal hotspot and i really like it a lot.

the m10i picks up in brightness where the ion leaves off.

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
I have both FF3 and M10i (both optics)

I like the FF3 especially for EDC variable output it's a must. Craftmanship also beautiful. You'll have fun with the FF3.

I prefer to use it with the narrow optic with M10i, to me the narrow optic got enough spills, the only downside with the M10i is the switching between low and high.

Oh BTW both lights are really bright on high!