"Small" 1xCR123 lights: comparisons

lightrod

Enlightened
As a big fan of "small"/pocketable (<1" diameter) single cell CR123 LuxIII lights, I've managed to amass a collection of them
broke.gif
grinser2.gif
. Many beam measures later, here they all are in one place for comparison.

All data is based on output after two minutes on a fresh cell, using the recommended cell for the light (RCR123 for the FF3 and the Rainier; primaries for all others).

The "% lumens in 10 degrees" is an indicator of each light's designed beam tightness - i.e. how much of it's overall output is directed within 10 degrees of beam center. Higher percentages reflecting more emphasis on throw; lower more on flood.

The "% drop at 5 degrees" is an indicator of how dinstinct the center spot is - i.e. does output drop off rapidly as would be the case of a tight spot with a distinct edge, or does it fall slowly providing a more gradual transition form the spot.

[EDIT 9/4] In the plot above it's hard to tell if differences in the lights in the spot region or in the flood region are due to differences in the beam design/profile, or just due to differences in total output. To get a more "pure" look at the beam profile itself I made the same plot, but normalizing each light to the same total output - I used 30 lumens as my normalizing point (used 20x instead of 10x scaling for flood). In other words if each light is set to, or allowed to run down to, a total of 30 lumens output, this shows how the beam is distributed across its width. A different - and I think more telling / comparable - picture of beam profiles:

You can draw your own conclusions, but here are some interesting observations/distinctions to me:
  • FF3 is the total output winner, with runner-up the U60, albeit at relatively low runtime on max for both (note all runtimes except the FF3 are from FLR -thanks Doug!). These are the only multi-level lights in the bunch (20 levels available) - best to use these at lower levels and run on max only as needed. Lowest total output: Surefire E1L.
  • Peak Rainier is the throw champ followed by the E1L and the U60.
  • Fenix P1 has the widest beam, followed by the U60. Narrowest beam is the E1L.
  • The E1L is the "spottiest" beam by far (almost all output w/in 10 degrees of center).
  • The "floodiest" beams are the Amilite Neo and the FF3, although not a huge difference across all lights except the E1L.
  • The FF3 has the most gradual transition/drop from the center spot (least distinct hot spot edge).
Each light seems to have it's own strengths and characteristics, but my personal favorite beam is the FF3. The flood is great, and the gradual spot to flood transition seems more natural / less distracting than the others in everyday use.

Actually I'm wondering where the truly wide/flood beams (such as the L4) are in this class??? Anyone know?

(Wish I had a Pierce....
awman.gif
...... how wide IS that wide beam???)

Inputs on the means of summarizing welcomed. I'd like to make this as useful as possible!

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! excellent work! I've been dreaming about doing something like that.

I know the cr2 ion isn't a cr123 light, but could you do the beam profile
for that one? I'd like to see the distribution of it's flood :)

lightrod

Enlightened
4sevens said:
I know the cr2 ion isn't a cr123 light, but could you do the beam profile for that one? I'd like to see the distribution of it's flood :)

I'd love to do the CR2 Ion but don't have one. Wish I did! I think I'd like that beam....

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work!

The U60GT is quite impressive. As are the Carribean and the P1. I think this really shows just how good the price/performance ratio is for the P1.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I appreciate any post that helps confirm why my FF3 is my favorite light as well. Great comparison, interesting to list the % of beam in the 10 degrees. Cool stuff. The one thing not listed is runtime, and how they hold up with the same comparison after 30 minutes. THAT would be an interesting for real life use.

lightrod

Enlightened
Tremendo said:
....The one thing not listed is runtime.....

Good point Tremendo - for reference I added runtime to 50% in the table. These are all listed at the max levels - however that's not really how you'd use the flexible level lights (U60 and FF3). Other than the FF3 and U60 all are single levels lights.

Also added beam angle to the table (took the angle where the output dropped to 1 lux at one meter).

Finally - I omitted the data for the Inova T1 after realizing it in not in this class (it's a Lux I not a Lux III)

Xygen

Enlightened
Impressive work! Thanks lightrod.
This Peak Rainer look very interesting. I think I need another light :eek:)

lightrod

Enlightened
If you've already looked at this thread please take a look again at the edit in the first post.

A plot has been added which I think is very interesting and more informative on beam profile than the original - feedback welcome!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work Lightrod! Thanks. The graph is very useful - multiple lights comparing outputs & beam patterns. Always wanted something like this. This is the most useful summary I know of. Complimented well by the table w output & runtime data. Really EXCELLENT!

Looks like I should get a FF3 [for flood] to compliment my Rainier [for throw]. I love my Rainier, it does have amazing throw - and I love using rechargables.

GregWormald

Enlightened
It's not fair. Do you realise how long I've been trying to find this information? And sift it from the garbage? and the hype? It's not fair--here it is all in one place! Just what I needed to make my purchase decisions! Not fair.
Fortunately I purchased right! (for me at least). FAIR!
Nice useful information.
Greg

vic303

Enlightened
I'd like to see you add a Huntlight FT02x data set to your collection. I hope you get one sometime.