Klarus        

Thread: Kroma Mod - White perimeter LEDs

Flashaholic*

Default Kroma Mod - White perimeter LEDs

Has anyone disassembled the Kroma? I was wondering how feasible it would be to replace the yellow-green LEDs with white LEDs. The one thing I love about the A2 is the very wide low beam output. The only thing I don't like about the A2 is unpredictability of the incandescant bulb. So, if I could have white perimeter LEDs on a Kroma, that would be the best of both worlds -- at least in my worlds.

I guess I should also ask if anyone has compared the shape of the perimeter LED beam of the Kroma to the A2. I wonder how the lens would affect the shape.

Phredd

Default Re: Kroma Mod - White perimeter LEDs

Would be cool if anyone could mod Kromas to different colors indeed ...
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Flashaholic*

I've had one for several weeks now trying different methods to open and this particular sample is the toughest Surefire light I've attempted to mod (still trying but soon about to return the light to its owner) Admittedly, the price tag makes me 10x more risk averse to opening this up than if I were opening up a KL1 head. I think whoever put this particular unit got carried away with the threadlock.

Flashaholic*

I've done some more reading on the Kroma and found the beam shots of the perimeter LEDs to be pretty poor. On the mil-spec version, the blue displays conspicuous rings. Maybe the A2 will remain unique because the perimeter LEDs are in the reflector.

Phredd

on the non milspec version,of which I own The perimeter LED's are great.THey don't have the same feel as the mislpec but when you wallhunt with the blue LED's it has a nice hotspot and the outer edges of the spill resemble the BP (gas station) sign.you can't notice it on red.