L4 body with 17670's

marxs

Enlightened
sorry i couldnt find the thread showing the old and new gen of L4 bodies. Can some kind CPFer point me to the link showing the different bodies? Im planning on picking up an L4 soon and want to be sure that AW's 17670's fit snuggly.

cheers
mark

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Doesn't make any difference. 17670 should fit snugly with any L4 body. In fact, 17650 worked ok in my L4's.

Bill

marxs

Enlightened
really? thats interesting news...ive been hearing stories about 17670's not fitting in the newer L4 bodies (rounded ones i think), just wanted a pic to be sure i know what i was talking about.

mark

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to remove the outer coating of one of my 17670's and replace it with one wrap of packing tape to make it fit because the diameter of the battery was too great to fit in my L4.

I don't know if the body is a new or an old one as I traded for it with a member of CPF.

-Goatee

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an E2L body (the same as the L4, just different markings) and my AW 17670s don't fit. They get almost all the way, but get stuck short about 3/8" from fully in.

Believe it or not I "fixed" it by sanding the wrapping on the battery. It's still kinda snug (I gotta shake hard or *whack* it or stick something in from the other end to get the battery back out), but at least it'll fit.

I'm expecting an L4 on Wednesday, I'll let ya'll know how the 17670 cells fit in that.

marxs

Enlightened
planterz,

thanks for the info. let us know how the 17670's fit in your L4. btw, what kind of body does your E2L have? is it the newer round bodies? i heard the 17670s dont fit in the newer bodies as compared the the older square sided ones

mark

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all E2L bodies are round (ie: the model wasn't in production when the flat bodies were still made), but I could be wrong.

Looking inside the body it kinda looks like there's a slightly narrower section right where the 17670 starts to stick. Like it wasn't fully bored out at that point. A SF cell fits just fine, in fact it rattles around like it still has a bit of space. The strip that runs along the side of the 17670 that connects the protection circuit seems to be the culprit more than anything else.

If you try the sanding thing, be careful sanding around the protection strip thingy. You don't want to sand through the wrapping. I used 400 grit BTW.

marxs

Enlightened
thanks for the info, much appreciated. ill try and check out the bodies of the L4, if theres a good tint on a square body i think ill just settle for that.

mark

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
:)> , did your 17670 have two coatings (wrappings)?

Bill

Bill,

It was only wrapped with a single heat shrink coating. I got these from www.lighthound.com and they are the AW brand.

The packing tape that I had worked great because it was just the right size to wrap the battery once. I don't like the way it looks now... just the way that it works.

-Goatee

Miracle

Enlightened
Planterz said:
I think all E2L bodies are round (ie: the model wasn't in production when the flat bodies were still made), but I could be wrong.

Looking inside the body it kinda looks like there's a slightly narrower section right where the 17670 starts to stick. Like it wasn't fully bored out at that point. A SF cell fits just fine, in fact it rattles around like it still has a bit of space. The strip that runs along the side of the 17670 that connects the protection circuit seems to be the culprit more than anything else.

If you try the sanding thing, be careful sanding around the protection strip thingy. You don't want to sand through the wrapping. I used 400 grit BTW.

hello Planterz,

can you please post pix of the 'sanded' batteries?

I had the newer version L4 and the 17670 cannot fit....

:(

:faint:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
I don't know which version my L4 is, but 17670's pop in and out pretty easily. I'll post pics when I can....

**Pics Added**
L4002.jpg

L4004.jpg

Last edited:

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls please post pix of the 'sanded' batteries?

I had the newer version L4 and the 17670 cannot fit....

:faint:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a round E2d body that the new protected 17670 from AW fit fine in. On his newer ones you can even remove the sticker that says AW and the specs if its a bit too big. I never had to remove the sticker from mine though. They are the black ones with the silver sticker.

schiesz

frisco

Enlightened
I'm gonna use an E2E 17670 battery with a KL4 head. Is this a good way to go???? I know the battery fits.

frisco

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
My new style L4 fits AW's batteries just perfectly. Here are some pictures, the batteries slide in and out with ease.

L41.jpg

L42.jpg

L43.jpg

Kevski

Newly Enlightened
Weskix, what kind of runtime do you get out of the 17670?

marxs

Enlightened
with the 17670 i believe it should be similar to the runtimes on two 123 batteries. try the search, that particular topic has been discussed time and again.