Light suggestions for trip to South Africa

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to South Africa in a few months and will go on a safari for about one week. I'm trying to figure out what lights to bring (there will be some night drives and I'm staying in huts and tents without lighting).

I know I need a low power EDC with lots of runtime for the "just in case" and general use (will probably get an Arc AAA or Peak One AA, but I'm looking for suggestions on what else I might need for myself and my girlfriend (there is a >50% chance she will lose what I let her use so I dont want to spend too much on her light!!).

I'm wary of bringing lithium lighting (especially incan) because I'm worried the TSA or local equivalent is going to take away the extra lithium batteries - I think alkaline will be ok. Worst comes to worse I can buy more alkalines in the airport when I arrive. I'm sure lithiums will cost a fortune - if I can find them at all. So that means leaving my Surefires at home (ok, maybe I'll bring one
smile.gif
). That said, I'm guessing a bright light will add to the experience of the night drives (and peering out of camp at night).

Any suggestions? I was thinking a Streamlight Poly Luxeon 4AA for the girlfriend (about the right price), but not sure about myself.

Has anyone else been on such a Safari? What lights did you use/need/wish you had? Do I need a flood? thrower? I'm going to be in Kruger National Park and surrounding reserves.

Thanks!!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who just came back from South Africa. I gave her a Mini Mag with a NiteIze module solely for the low light situations and it worked out well for her (she also took an incandescent one.) While she brought an adequate number of spare AA batteries, they would also be available if you ran out. As it turned out, she never went through the first set on the LED Mini Mag.

As for fears of TSA taking your lithium batteries, I suspect that concern may be a bit heightened by forum postings, not by actual occurrances. Not that it might not happen by someone who might unscrupiously decide that it is an easy way to acquire some extra batteries, but in general, I don't think that is likely to happen.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Illumination:)

On my expeditions (north and äquatorial Africa) some kinds of "older" lights accompanied me, like Mags, Stealthlite and older 5mm (Inova, Lucido) leds.
I wished I had the new multiple Luxeon lights with me.

I'm happy now with the lots of light they put out of their heads. You will need a light with a good sidespill (so you can see what kind of animal is in your near) and throw (to look what was the cause of this curious noise?) about 80meters away.

Sure, 100 years ago was'nt such a light avaiable and nevertheless the expeditions started but I think a few people would'nt hurt with a modern light in some cases.

I don't know what you want to spend for the light but I would ever spend a little more for a "better" light.

My advice: take a look to the multiple Luxeon lights. There is a great selection.

Best regards

____
Tom

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind spending <~$200 US for my light. For the girlfriend, I don't want to spend much because she wont appreciate the light and will probably lose it. (I still love her anyway!)

I've got a Surefire U2 - I guess I will bring that (not much throw, though) and hope the extra batteries get through. As a backup and for the girlfriend, I am leaning towards the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. Uses Alkalines, has good throw, and its darn cheap. I'll get a yellow one for the GF...will be harder for her to lose it!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
216 Lumens!!! Wow, that thing is powerful. I'll do more research; thanks.

Have you used one? How good is it? Almost looks too good to be true.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Poly is a good choice.
You might also consider some PR based MJLED's from Lighthound and put them in a couple Garrity 2AA Tuff Lites. Nice beams, long run times, very water resistant. I actually like the 2AA Tuff Lite better than the 2D Tuff Lite. Though you'll get extremely long run times off a 2D with the MJLED's so it might be worth considering. Not Luxeon's by any stretch of the imagination, but good all around, get around at night lighting.

But whatever you take, make sure it's durable and will take common batteries.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For long runtime low level lighting that is good for walking around a campsite bring a headlamp like the Princeton Tec Quad.

For long runtime low level hand-held lighting, consider the Gerber Infinity Ultra. Mine gets great runtime on a AA battery and it is also bright enough to navigate around a campsite if you don't want to wear a headlamp. It is not near as bright as the 4 LED Quad but it runs a looooooong time.

If you already have a U2, you are bringing the best of the best in my opinion but if you want more throw, consider a Surefire M3 or for even more throw than that, a M3T. You can't go wrong with lights of this quality!

I also have the Kroma and it is a great general purpose light and even more useful if you are trying to navigate where you don't want to spook the wildlife as some cannot see light in the red spectrum. I don't know about Lions or other big cats though... for those, you might need something that throws something more substantial than light; one of these maybe :xyxgun:!

I don't have an Arc yet but I will soon enough so my Gerber will have to do until then... if the Arc replaces it at all!

Good luck and stay out of the way of charging elephants, rhino's, hippo's and big cats. Jeeze, I am glad that I live in North America... it seems like everything in Africa can kill you!

-Safari Goatee

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I was looking at the Ultra as well. I've heard great things, but I would have been more likely to have purchased it when it was made by the independent company, Course Made Good (CMG), before Gerber bought it. I'm not a big fan of Gerber for a number of reasons - they copy other companies' products (sometimes blatantly) and over time they tend to reduce the quality level of the products they produce. But that said, the Ultra is supposed to be great - and I came close to buying one a year or so ago.

As for a headlight - I know the utility. That said, I'm traveling with a bunch of people and don't think I'll ever be able to live it down. Alas, I may have to give up one useful hand to avoid being the subject of ridicule. My girlfriend, who cant stop making fun of me when she sees me looking at beamshots will probably tease me forever about that! I'll save the headlight for the trip with just the guys.

I've thought of bringing a high-powered incan for throw. The M3 is a bit out of the price range of where I want to be, at least for a light that I wont use that often. (I like smaller and lighter lamps since I like to backpack.) For this trip, I've considered the C3 and 9P as less expensive alternatives, as well as the Streamlight TL-3 (which is supposed to be a throw monster) and the Princeton Tec Surge. The Surge is the heaviest of the bunch, but has the advantage of using AAs, which I am sure I can buy in Africa should I need them. It's pretty cheap too – only ~$30. I don't need really light on this trip – I'm not going to be walking around much in the dark outside of camp.

An as for
xyxgun.gif
, I've been told the guides are armed.

Thanks a lot.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination said:
My girlfriend, who cant stop making fun of me when she sees me looking at beamshots will probably tease me forever about that! I'll save the headlight for the trip with just the guys.

Illumination,

This is unfortunate. There is only one thing to do now and that is to get rid of your girlfriend:laughing:.

Showing her this post while wearing a headlamp with all of the lights off in your house should do the trick.

Let me know how it goes!

-Goatee... Relationship Counselor

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
What a timely thread. My wife and I are likely going to Zambia in early December for a walking safari for about 7 days, then a couple days at Victoria falls and then a few in Cape Town. I was wondering about what lights to take, especially for the safari part.

We will be staying part of the safari in a lodge which seems pretty well developed but part of it at a fairly remote bush camp. It does apparently have some solar power and candles or wax powered lanterns. We will be walking a few hours a day, the rest at camp or in vehicles but the walking will likely be all when it is daylight (the predators are mostly nocturnal feeders and best observed from vehicles ;) ).

I was thinking of the following, but Im still noodling on it.

My main lights (always on me anywhere near night time if not always):
A2 YG
HDS U60XRGT
Arc P

Mrs. GFs main lights:
HDS B40GT
Arc P

Each of us:
Tac Tikka headlamp
Yellow or red Peak Matterhorn for inside camp housing

Additional lights:
Streamlight T3
SF E2 body with KL4 head and two stage
UK 4AA
possibly a 9P with a turbo head
Eternalight
Possibly an eternalight with easy to change battery
Possibly a PAL light

I would like to cut that down a bit. Any thoughts appreciated.

By the way, I know that you never can tell.....

But I got back last night from Heathrow where I was subjected to the most obnoxious, PITA security I have ever encountered. It was worse than that time when I was much younger and the police, well, never mind that now ;). But it was bad. And I had an A2, ArcP and Matterhorn in my carryon and a SF spare carrier loaded with lithiums in my checked luggage and no problems. Ive also carried the SC with me in carryon multiple times without problem. The only reason I checked this time was the PITA carry on rules at Heathrow now.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is quite a list... You will have an entire suitcase with flashlights.:laughing:

The way I figure it, one needs at least 4 lights -
  • One primary use. Decent all around use with good, but not blinding amounts of light. This can be a head lamp or a hand lamp. I was thinking of an A2 or U2.
  • One backup. Similar to the primary use. It may never get taken out of your bags, but if you lose or have problems with the above, you will regret it. I'll probably take a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. Bright and cheap. I also won't worry about it if I leave it back in camp (i.e., its not in sight and might walk away).
  • One EDC with long life and tough as nails. I was thinking of an Arc AAA
  • One super bright light. Primarily a thrower, with decent sidespill. I was thinking of bringing a Streamlight TL-3 or an SF C3 or 9P. I don't have either, so I am leaning towards the Streamlight TL-3 because it is a more of a thrower and much less expensive. May want a backup to this as well - I am thinking about the PT Surge (8AA throw monster, compares to 3 123 lights)
In addition - and this is where the complexity comes in - one will probably want some backups - and others for fun. I havent figured out which of these I will bring.

As for your choices, as I mentioned above, I think the A2 is a great idea for a primary use light and the HDS makes a good backup/alternate. The headlamps make sense, as do the Arcs. You probably dont need the Peaks (can use the Arcs instead), but what the heck, they are so small anyway.

I'm not sure what the Streamlight T3 is. Is that a TL-3? As I mentioned before, I am likely to bring one. The 9p with Tubohead has the same purpose, I figure - do you need both? The L4 is a great light, but I think the A2 covers your needs (just bring extra batteries).

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I have this paranoia about getting my lithiums confiscated, so I am thinking of bringing a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon AA light and PT Surge as alternates. These lights are cheap so I don't need to worry if I leave them in camp. I also I know I can get batteries in South Africa should I need them. Your UK4AA makes sense for the same reason.

I guess the Eternalight and PAL lights are "fun"/secondary backup lights. Could be fun, but watch the weight. Also, unless you plan on lugging all of your lights around with you all day, think about how safe they will be in camp - probably unattended during the day.

I hope you have a great trip! I'm off to Kruger and some surrounding reserves in November.

Wyeast

Enlightened
I'd go with simplifying power requirements to AA's - easier to obtain and keeps you from having to carry around a bagful of mixed cells. Good choices would be headlamps like the Zenix IQ. (or the PT Apex - though that might be a bit complex/pricey when a simpler dimmer unit might suffice) Handheld battery-conserving options include MM+NiteIze, Inova X1, and Infinity Ultra. These would serve the bulk of your lighting needs - moving around in a darkened camp, some light trail duty.

For handheld power, again going with AA's I'd say the Propoly Lux and PT Surge. The PPLux is probably good enough at night with no ambient lighting, but the Surge makes for a pretty good "WTF was that??" light for occasional use.

Also, throw in a few cheap coincell lights as backup, cuz you never know. ;) Clip 'em to your bags, your clothes, etc. Backup light when your primaries fail or during battery changes, or serving as markers so you don't lose each other in the dark. Too many uses not to have at least a couple handy.

So I guess in short - you carry the Surge and Zenix IQ, your girlfriend carries the Propoly Lux and a MM+NiteIze.

Good luck, travel safe, and enjoy the safari!

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Illumination said:
That is quite a list... You will have an entire suitcase with flashlights.:laughing:

The way I figure it, one needs at least 4 lights -
  • One primary use. Decent all around use with good, but not blinding amounts of light. This can be a head lamp or a hand lamp. I was thinking of an A2 or U2.
  • One backup. Similar to the primary use. It may never get taken out of your bags, but if you lose or have problems with the above, you will regret it. I'll probably take a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon. Bright and cheap. I also won't worry about it if I leave it back in camp (i.e., its not in sight and might walk away).
  • One EDC with long life and tough as nails. I was thinking of an Arc AAA
  • One super bright light. Primarily a thrower, with decent sidespill. I was thinking of bringing a Streamlight TL-3 or an SF C3 or 9P. I don't have either, so I am leaning towards the Streamlight TL-3 because it is a more of a thrower and much less expensive. May want a backup to this as well - I am thinking about the PT Surge (8AA throw monster, compares to 3 123 lights)
In addition - and this is where the complexity comes in - one will probably want some backups - and others for fun. I havent figured out which of these I will bring.

As for your choices, as I mentioned above, I think the A2 is a great idea for a primary use light and the HDS makes a good backup/alternate. The headlamps make sense, as do the Arcs. You probably dont need the Peaks (can use the Arcs instead), but what the heck, they are so small anyway.

I'm not sure what the Streamlight T3 is. Is that a TL-3? As I mentioned before, I am likely to bring one. The 9p with Tubohead has the same purpose, I figure - do you need both? The L4 is a great light, but I think the A2 covers your needs (just bring extra batteries).

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I have this paranoia about getting my lithiums confiscated, so I am thinking of bringing a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon AA light and PT Surge as alternates. These lights are cheap so I don't need to worry if I leave them in camp. I also I know I can get batteries in South Africa should I need them. Your UK4AA makes sense for the same reason.

I guess the Eternalight and PAL lights are "fun"/secondary backup lights. Could be fun, but watch the weight. Also, unless you plan on lugging all of your lights around with you all day, think about how safe they will be in camp - probably unattended during the day.

I hope you have a great trip! I'm off to Kruger and some surrounding reserves in November.

Some very good suggestions for simplifying. Yes, the T3 is actually the TL3. Sorry about that. In thinking about it that probably makes more sense than the 9P with turbohead because the Streamlight will be smaller. And yes, they are great lights. The idea of the Eternalight was for very long use and to use as sort of a cabin/night light, but realistically the Arcs will last long enough for the trip. I will have to think about that. The Peaks I forgot to mention I was thinking about getting in red, again for around the cabin at night. And they are very small. Again, I will have to reconsider in light (;) ) of your very useful comments. Thanks again!

Newuser01

Enlightened
Bmccue1964 said:
A great light for you: 4-"D" Mag LED so you can beat any attacking wild animals over the head with it. For your girlfriend who wouldn't appreciate a good light:
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=2&id=2

:lolsign:

In all seriousness..... Bring a couple of simple AA lights . Such as 2AA M*G and PP Lux.....

Will serve you well.

You really wont need anymore power than that in the really dark boonies.... (even the keychain light will light up the path for you in the dark.)

Have fun and good luck.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with the suggestion of using AA's for everything. Let's see:

Low power EDC/backup: Gerber IU, or its CMG Ultra predecessor (available on BST). Frankly the Gerber is an ok light if not quite as good as the CMG version, and the Gerber uses a newer LED that's brighter, so I'd go with it. It's not like they ripped off CMG when they made the Ultra. They acquired CMG's operation in a business deal and the CMG guys presumably got paid quite well :).

Pocket medium powered light: Fenix L1p/L1t or L2p/L2t. You want to run this on rechargeables but AA primaries will work in a pinch.

Cheap light with more throw: Princeton Tec Tec40, on sale at REI Outlet for $6.93 (see other threads). You want the smooth reflector for max throw, and I'm not sure what REI's configuration uses, but you could always contact PT about a reflector. Max brightness for a simple configuration seems to be rechargeable cells plus a 3 cell xenon bulb (XPR103 from Radio Shack is a nice bulb, I used it in my 3D Mag before converting that Mag to use a WA 01185 bwahaha :)). Lots of people like the SL ProPoly Lux but I doubt it will outthrow this Tec 40 config.

PT Surge: I have one of these and am not crazy about it.