Upgraded headlights and backup lights at a reasonable cost and great performance?

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
I drive a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis in Tucson, Arizona. Trips to the local auto parts stores are have been a waste of time. I am want to upgrade my stock headlamps while maintaining their street legal status.

I was looking at these: SYLVANIA SilverStar

Has anybody actually used them in their vehicle? How did they work out? Where did you buy them and how much were they?

What other high performance headlight options do I have at reasonable cost? I'll define reasonable cost as under $200. Where do I get diminishing returns with addition money? $50 or $100?

Also, I have clear turn lamps that light up the side of the road when my blinker light is activated. I have also been unsuccessful in locating an upgrade for these bulbs. In the past, I used some off brand PEP Boys halogens in backup lights that worked much better then standard bulbs. I am looking for something like that for these side lights and for my back up lights.

Where would I find LED's for this application? Am I better off searching for a standard type halogen bulb?

TIA!
Sid

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
I would not use the silverstars because of the blue tint. The tint reduces total light output by blocking much of the spectrum that the filament produces. I have heard good things about Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, (in the pink package). I am currently using Hella 9006 Optilux standard wattage low beams bulbs and they are a bit brighter than stock according to my Polaris light meter. I am using 9005 100watt Optilux high beams and they are significantly brighter. Just remember that they can cause wiring and heat problems. They are also illegal. I have used Quartz 50 watt backup lights for almost 20 years even though they have the same potential problems. I have not found any LED replacements that are bright enough.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobSnow:
I would not use the silverstars because of the blue tint. The tint reduces total light output by blocking much of the spectrum that the filament produces. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you in general about the "stupid blue tint" that manufacturers are putting on bulbs. It seems that Sylvania, Phllips and GE are making "blue bulbs".

However, I think the Silverstar may be a little different. Go look at the web site.

Here is a cut from their web site:

=======================
Now there's a new star on the road, burning brighter and whiter than halogen ever has. SilverStar illuminates with a searing intensity, exceeded only by far more expensive High Intensity Discharge lighting. SilverStar is fueled by advanced design and backed by the prestigious SYLVANIA brand with its longstanding commitment to halogen innovation.

You will never again see darkness in the same light.

SilverStar's color temperature is a white hot 4,000 K, far higher than other halogens on the market and comparable to High Intensity Discharge headlights.

SilverStar shines with a luminance up to 20% greater than other halogens.

A sharp profile, silver tip, and amethyst blue coating create a dramatic, high-end, crisp, clean look.

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
I think Sylvania Xtravision are the same as SilverStar without the blue tinted glass. Since much of the light produced by the tungsten filament in a quartz bulb is yellow, the blue tint will absorb a lot of useful light.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Sid,

I don't know what bulbs your car takes but on my Explorer it's 9007.

I too wanted to upgrade my bulbs and after doing the very same research you are, PIAA produces a 50 state, street legal, headlamp.

You can learn more on their site but in essence, it produces a much whiter light. It is a little more than half way between the regular halogen and HID if I recall correctly.

I've had them for a 1 1/2 years and I would certainly recommend them, especially if you dislike the blue lights. They are good and worth the high price ($75/pair). Once you've tried them, you will look disparingly at plain old halogen lamps.

BobSnow

Newly Enlightened
This is a great source for Automobile lighting info.
http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/

I think PIAA bulbs are overpriced. They put out less light than stock bulbs, but whiter. Hella optilux bulbs are half the price and perform a bit better than stock bulbs. The source of the faq above recommends Sylvania xtra bulbs.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a dual bulb system (1 for high and 1 for lows) get The Philips Xtra vision bulbs but.... get the high beam version and mod it to fit your lows. It'll be brighter but you won't blind anyone because it keeps the same design of the fixture. Also you won't have the problem of melting wires since it's only about 10 watts more. The extra light comes from using a thinner wire(burns hotter) and the 10 extra watts. Slightly shorter life but better than the Silverstars.

kboy25

Newly Enlightened
silverstars are actually pretty white.
only thing is, they tend to burn out faster then your regular bulbs.

netofficer3710

Newly Enlightened
ok take my word for it here I have experience in this field

there are silverstars, and there are silverstar ultras

the only diff is silverstars will on many occasions burn out within a few months, but the ultras won't

the light output is the same and the silverstars cost 25-30 dollars while the silverstar ultras cost 50-60

the ultras are very much worth it

silverstars are the whitest and brightest bulbs you can get for your car without making the jump to a higher wattage bulb that you need a hi-temp wiring harness for, or HID's (high intensity discharge headlights)

also always replace your headlights in pairs (unless ya wanna be the idiot on the road with 2 headlights that don't match)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok take my word for it here I have experience in this field

there are silverstars, and there are silverstar ultras

the only diff is silverstars will on many occasions burn out within a few months, but the ultras won't

the light output is the same and the silverstars cost 25-30 dollars while the silverstar ultras cost 50-60

the ultras are very much worth it

silverstars are the whitest and brightest bulbs you can get for your car without making the jump to a higher wattage bulb that you need a hi-temp wiring harness for, or HID's (high intensity discharge headlights)

also always replace your headlights in pairs (unless ya wanna be the idiot on the road with 2 headlights that don't match)

I have all three: ST, STU, Xtravision. got them on sale once in Kragens for cheap.

I agree completely with your assessment on the life time differences.

the SS and STUs are nice for some conditions, like dry weather and snowing weather, but they are terrible for wet conditions and freshly paved tarmac. In the rain both of them get scattered by the moisture, so when the rain season comes I use the regular Xtravision. the yellower light reallly makes color rendition better in the rain.

there were times when the roads were fresh-paved that I couldn't tell if my lights were on when i had the coated bulbs in. they are great for dry conditions though.

Last edited:

netofficer3710

Newly Enlightened
but they are terrible for wet conditions and freshly paved tarmac. In the rain both of them get scattered by the moisture, so when the rain season comes I use the regular Xtravision. the yellower light reallly makes color rendition better in the rain.

there were times when the roads were fresh-paved that I couldn't tell if my lights were on when i had the coated bulbs in. they are great for dry conditions though.

that's why I have fog lights :twothumbs

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your beam pattern and aiming is correct so that you won't blind other drivers, I'd upgrade the headlight wiring to handle higher wattage bulbs, and then use them. More light, and the wiring upgrade is a one time cost; higher wattage bulbs are far more effecting and don't cost nearly what Silverstar or Piaa bulbs cost. Failing that, a set of Euro-beam driving lights will help a lot.

I recommend anyone looking to upgrade their headlights visit danielsternlighting.com. Good info for anyone.

:buddies:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a big fan of rally driving (I'm just an amateur but watch ESPN2 at 5 Eastern time this afternoon to see what the pro stuff is like) where lighting is very important, please allow me my two cents worth on lights for cars.

1). Buyer beware! Cheap lights (auxillary or replacement bulbs) usually just give you more glare. Among others, Osram and Hella make good replacement bulbs. Research a few rally enthusiast sites for info and opinions.

2a). Well aimed headlights are often better than replacing the bulbs.

2b). Aim you headlights or auxillary lights not only so that you can see better but also not to bum out others on the road (a.k.a. Don't be a schmuck!).

3). Auxillary lights give you more options that replacement bulbs, but again, you usually get what you pay for.

4). Use a wiring kit for aux. lights. High power lights need a relay and proper wiring. Super high power might even require you to get a bigger alternator. Do not skimp.

5). "Off Road Use Only" does not always mean better or even brighter. It just means that they are not DOT approved.

There are quite a few backup/reverse light options, too and the same applies for them.

This is just one site for info.

Susquehanna Motorsports

Latest posts