The Inova X1 with a RED led?

skrie

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could buy the old style spotlight inova x1 with a red led? I hear its discontinued... It doesn't have to be this exact model. I'm just looking for something small/slim(no bulky red filters), with a spotlight in red. Can anyone pair me up with anything else? The inova is perfect for me, bacause a buddy of mine had it(now sold :scowl: ) and I just loved it. Its a neat little thing and i've been looking for it everywhere. OR... maybe a regular x1 can be modified, replacing the regular led with a red one? :shrug:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, they were going to do a red led version, but didn't? Or at least didn't for very long. In the end I modded mine using the freeze-pop method. which turned out being fiddley but quite easy and not requiring a massive amount of skill (just as well for me) The instructions are available on this forum, do a quick search and you'll find it, just like I did!

The only annoying thing is that a red led doesn't quite have the same clean lined spot as the white, just like the blue is a bit more artifacty etc. This has something to do with the refractive index of the lens and wavelength of the light produced by the led.

Also, I got the polarity of my red led the wrong way round at first and had to resolder, but the circuit board seemed robust enough to take it!!

This mod it very nice and remains in my pocket to this day.

Good luck with yours,

Be lucky...

PS - I just remembered, my avatar picture is my three X1's, a stock blue and green, and my modded red - cool huh?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool indeed.

What's this?
x1red.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that must be yet another X1 mod - I was wondering, would sanding the end of the led reduce beam artifacts? - nice pic, by the way.

Be lucky...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac said:
Ah, that must be yet another X1 mod - I was wondering, would sanding the end of the led reduce beam artifacts? - nice pic, by the way.

Be lucky...

I've used 0000 steel wool for that. Rub a bit and check the effect. Repeat. Better too little than too much. While it smooths out the artifacts, it also knocks down the throw. For my application it was an OK trade.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
For my application it was an OK trade.

Thanks for the info, I'll stick with my throwy,artifacty mod. (It'll quite happily throw down my long corridor into the room beyond - 40 - 50 feet?)

Be lucky...

skrie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for the help guys, i found the threads. But upon one last look before buying a regular X1, I came across this: http://www.campingsurvival.com/inx1ledfl.html They seem to have a red one. I don't know if it's in stock though. I hope it is, because I just placed an order! But in a few minutes im taking a trip down to my local Target just incase...