Surefire 8AX Commander battery replacement

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I currently use the Surefire 8AX Commander rechargeable flashlight for duty. It appears that both of my Surefire B90 (NI-CD) rechargeable batteries are running out of juice. Does anyone have any suggestions for a battery that is better!?! Longer life, brighter, etc... I use the batteries and then place them back in the charging cradle every morning.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!
How old is your 8AX? Also, how many times would you say you've recharged each battery stick?

Also, does your charger ever blink green or does it only ever have a solid green light?
SureFire have updated their charger.

One way to proceed would be to call SureFire, explain what you're experiencing and see what they suggest. Perhaps they can replace/repair your charger and/or battery sticks.

Al

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Glockboy,

Thanx for the link! The GP 3700 sub C cells look like a viable option to the B90. I am waiting to hear back from SilverFox whether those batteries were put into production. I appreciate the help! Paul

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Al,

I have had my 8AX for about 1 year now. I have the newer charger that has the blinking green LED's. I typically charge both batteries every day. Any suggestions for these or any new battery I might be getting in the near future? Paul

Size15's

Flashaholic
Paul,
Unless both batteries are not performing, or your expectation are too high it would appear you are indeed searching for an after-market battery solution...
Good Luck with your search!

Al

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Although I do set the bar fairly high I don't believe that these batteries are performing to their max. Even when fully charged the quality of light is barely a clean white light and is more yellowed. I just got back from a Tactical Low Light Instructors School which was hosted / taught by Ken Good of Night-Ops (formerly Surefire). He was very quick to point out that the light needed some new batteries. I agreed! If anyone has any other suggestions for rechargeable options for my B90 I'm all ears.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can solder a 9v nipple to the + of the stinger battery, the light output and the run time is better than the b90.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Paul,
Have you spoken to SureFire? If it is the case that your B90's are not performing perhaps they'll replace them.

glockboy said:
You can solder a 9v nipple to the + of the stinger battery, the light output and the run time is better than the b90.
I heard the opposite was the case. I wonder whether any large-scale comparisons have been performed?

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. SilverFox has a new battery in the works that might possibly be ready by October. I will probably wait until October and try that. If anyone hears of any other batteries that are currently on the market to replace the B90 please send me an IM. Take care, Paul

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stinger battery does have positive and negetive on one end but the positive is flat, don't have nipple like the B90.

Topper said:
I do not have a Stinger; does it have the positve and negetive on one end??
Topper :)

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only used it with my stinger and three of my friends stinger.

Size15's said:
I heard the opposite was the case. I wonder whether any large-scale comparisons have been performed?