Z58 Tailcap Reliability - I am very confused!

Flashdark

Enlightened
A while back I purchased an L5 and L6 with the Z58 tailcaps. Because I planned to use them in a "tactical" capacity, I changed the tailcaps over to the more reliable and safer Z41s, and stored the Z58s for later use. In the process of setting up a C3 for Utility purposes and stocking my storage case with extra parts (and thereby checking that all of the parts worked properly on "everything"), I discovered that some of my Z58s did NOT work on "everything". I have two Z58s, and one Z48 that function on everything. I also have 3 Z58s that only function on a 2-battery body or on the C3 body, NOT the L6 or M3 bodies?! If you include the Z59 (or equivalent) on the U2, that makes 4 that don't work on the L6/M3 bodies?! I also have a spare Z59 for the U2 that will work on the M3 BUT NOT the L6. That's 2/7 for the Z5x series, and 3/8 if you include the Z48. I have heard about reliability problems for the Z58 BUT 28.6% ?!?!?!?!

I tried to bend the tabs upward on one of the malfunctioning Z58s as I have heard others talk about doing, but this did not help. I also broke one of the "very stiff" tabs off although this did not affect the function on the 2-battery bodies or the C3 body. Function remained unchanged.

So, I am admittedly confused. Do I call Surefire, and if so tell them what??? "Your L5 tailcap works fine if you leave it alone but it won't work if you try to transfer it to an L6/M3. Another tailcap that I bought works fine on a 2-battery body and the C3 but not on the L6/M3. The U2 tailcap works fine if you leave it alone, but won't work if you try to transfer it to an L6/M3. The Z59 works on the M3 but not the L6." Their website says that their Z5x series tailcaps and Z4x series tailcaps are interchangable on everything!!!!!!

All of my Z58s have three tabs in the tailcap for cap-to-body contact.

By the way, the new Z73 "lockout" tailcap for the G2 works on everything and it costs $12.00.

Thanks for your help
Flashdark sends, confused.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
your post is written somewhat confusing... pictures would help clarify

don't think all surefire parts are guaranteed to be modular and fit everything. although most the most part most tailcaps I've got will exchange if threads fit.

why don't you contact surefire. there's a high probability surefire customer service will come up with a solution.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't sound like the problem is reliability but perhaps compatibility. Another question I would have for you is if your L6/M3 is stock or if you are using Li-ions. But you are correct, the Z41 is the more reliable tailcap.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
too many darn surefire tailpcap numbers here....

switched from a clicky to LOTC for my L6 due to safety concerns. had my L6 clicky accidently come on in backpack. got really HOT before discovering. yanked those cells out!

next ordered two stage switch kit from shoppe, then installed in LOTC cap. using 22 ohm for low level on L6. works great! low level is aprox. ARC LSH-P. I prefer my low a little brighter.

Flashdark

Enlightened
leukos,

You are correct. The word is compatibility, and that is my question. Is the Z58/59, Z48/49 clickon tailcap compatible with anything that it fits? Should it work with any C2/C3/M2/M3/L5/L6/6P/9P etc. body that I decide to screw it onto? Surefire's website says that they are compatible with everything they screw onto. If so, I have a 28.6% success record!!! for Z58/59 parts. If there is something else involved, that is why I published this thread. I have always been under the impression that all clickons were supposed to function on anything that they screwed onto. I know that the historical reliability of the parts prevents this, but I thought that the compatibility was universal.

Thanks for your help.
Flashdark sends.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably don't have as many SF lights to test them on as you have, Flashdark, (maybe size15's can chime in here) but I haven't noticed the compatibility problem with the aluminum lights I own. I have had contact problems using Z41's and Z58's on nitrolon lights, but not other types. I have also had contact problems using Pilas in my M3/M3T and a Z58 (due to the extra length of the cells), but that is hardly SF's fault, the switch works fine with CR123.

pmsar35

Newly Enlightened
The simplest thing to do might be to go to the Surefire.com accessories/tailcaps page and see what lights each tailcap switch is supposed to work with.

For example:

Z58 Click-On Lock-out Tailcap
Fits: C2, C3, D2, D3, G2, M2, M3, M3T, M4.

If the switch is supposed to work with a particular light that you have and doesn't, contact Surefire and tell them that your switch doesn't work with that light...

Good luck!

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Cough! cough! Dust off an old thread.

I am experiencing the SAME thing you are Flashdark. In fact you thread was the second that popped up on my search, and I will search no farther.

I have 2 Z58's; I could not figure out WHY one would not work on my M3. In fact, I think the M3 even broke the other Z58. On the M4, the good one works just fine.

Oh well; I'll use the Z41 and call it good. More reliable anyway.

The first Z58 that broke was intermittent any, so I amy send it back to Surefire and wait 6 months. I don't want to burden the retailer I bought it from, it isn't their fault.

Thanks, Flashdark.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Cribbage,

Supposedly, the Z48/49 series and the SW01/02 series are far more reliable than the Z58/59 series of tail caps. This is because they have different internals and they were the original military-contract, tail cap design. More robust(?). I have heard that, if you are married to a "clickie" that must work, that is the answer. If you don't like the rubber shroud on the end, "Size 15s" (Big Al) says that you can easily remove it and have an "exposed" and more easily-used, clickie tail cap. However, once you remove it, Big Al says it is almost impossible to replace it. I think that I may try that on one of the Z48s (because it is slimmer than the SWxx series), but, in general, I'm going back to the Z41s for reliability.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

BBL

Enlightened
I removed and re-installed the rubber shroud on a Z49, its just no easy task.
If done carefully, nothing is damaged. The Z49 without the rubber part seems much smaller and is much better to use.

Flashdark

Enlightened
BBL,

That's great to hear! I have been dying to try it, but I didn't have an extra Z48 if it proved to be irreversable.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

dasanii19

Enlightened
Does the z49 look odd with the rubber off? Or does it still look stock?

Also, is the z41 momentary/click on/lock out? or is it just click on lock out?

Im looking for a tail cap for my 6p but want it small as possible because I already have a A19 on it. I want a tailcap like the Z41 with momentary/click on/lock out. Im thinking the Z49 might make my light too long IMO

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been informed that by heating up the rubber shroud in hot water and then rolling it on is a means of replacing it.

Does this help with showing what they look like with the shrouds on and off?
SureFire%20Nitrolons%20with%20Clickies%201%2064.jpg

The Z41 is the standard SureFire LockOut TailCap.
It features a momentary push button pressure switch. Rotate the TailCap onto the flashlight body for constant-on. LockOut is achieved when the TailCap is backed off beyond the point at which pressing the button no longer activates the light.

The Z48/Z49 & Z58/Z59 (& SW02) are "Clickie" TailCaps.
They feature push button pressure switches that can be pressed for momentary on/off light and pressed harder to click constant-on / click off.
These Clickie TailCaps also have the LockOut feature.
LockOut is achieved when the TailCap is backed off beyond the point at which pressing the button (including using the click on/off) no longer activates the light.

If your TailCap does not function on your flashlight when it's manual states that it should you should contact your SureFire Dealer or call SureFire directly to have it replaced.

SureFire made a change to their Z57(etc) and Z58/Z59(etc) Clickie TailCaps a while back to improve the reliability/durability. These current TailCaps have a white plastic component (rather than black) inside so you can tell the difference. These appear to have solved many of the problems people experienced with the earlier versions.

If you want a compact Clickie TailCap for your 6P then it's the Z59 that you need. It comes standard with the newly released 6PD (Defender) and only adds a few mm to the length of the TailCap.

As an example of the difference between the "Z59" and a Z41:
al-u2i.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
dasanii19 said:
Hey size 15, can I add a clip like that on the side of my 6p?
It's a U2/K2 body, not a 6P body.
Because the U2/K2 body is actually a "housing" and the U2/K2 bezels are actually "modules" these components are interchangeable with WeaponLight components such as the LU60 Lamp Module in the photo I've posted above.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats swanky 15. Aside from that just keep yoru tailcaps well lubed seems to be about the only problem is poor lubrication unless you drop it from 40 feet.