What is best LED flashlight in the $300 range

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
In the $300 price range, I'm looking for a regulated LED flashlight that has the best quality light (if possible, something in the neighborhood of the quality of a SF incondesent - if that exists) and the longest life avaiable in the price range. It would be used both indoors and outdoors - about equally. Weight or size is not much of an issue - so a 3 battery or more is OK. The light must run on litihium AA or 123a batteries. Do not need to ever use rechagables. Could someone suggest a LED light in this category? Thank you.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Lincoln:)

The "Best" depends on the expectations. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions, but every one of them is only the "Best" in the view of the suggestor.
Also is the "Best" light only a compromise of different propertys.

For me it would be helpfull, if you could declare a few more propertys you expect from the light, to find the best compromise for you:)

Best regards

____
Tom

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF, but have had a SF 6P for years. The quality of light with the SF 6P is what I'm looking for in an LED - but I don't know if there is any LED out there yet that gets close to that light quality. My problem with the 6P and 9P is that the run times are so short. I live about 30 miles from the Gulf Coast, so what I need is an emergency indoor/outdoor LED flashlight for hurricanes (with runtime in the 20+ hour range). I have an Amondotech HID spotlight for big outdoor problems after storms, but it is way too heavy and too bright for 99% of uses. I also have natural gas generator and, as backup, several lanterns (including a Ray-O-Vac 360 that runs on 4 6v batteries), so the general lighting base is covered. I have a Fenix L2P, but it's light quality is not nearly what I need in the the light quality area - i.e. it is not good enough for me to always distinguish and/or recognize everything I need to, even when I'm close to the object being viewed. I really woudl like something much brighter than the Fenix L2P, in the 100 lumans output+ area. As mentioned, weight is not much of a factor, and something in the 10 oz to 14 oz range is not a problem. What I'm looking for is a LED that something that approches or is equivelent to the SF 6P & 9P in most every way a flashlight can be measured, except has a much longer run time. And if something like that in an LED does not exist, what is the closest thing to it, in the $300 range. Thank you.

xdanx

Enlightened
Surefire L6 or U2

If you want a super long runtime: M6 body + KL6 (but its a little more expensive, and ugly)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your explanation.

So my idea is a trilux mod like the M180 of the member "Milkyspit". This light with 2 or more brightness levels should fit the bill. It's based on SF and it's build for max brightness by long runtime, but in your case (I would prefer too) with 2 brightness levels like I said.

Send him a pm and take a look to his light in "Homemade and modified lights".

Best regards

____
Tom

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire u2, l5, or l6 will fit the bill..... u2 has 6 stages, l5 is cheapest, and the l6 is the brighter of the three. They all have beams quite similar to sf incand beams.

-david

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
surefire u2, l5, or l6 will fit the bill..... u2 has 6 stages, l5 is cheapest, and the l6 is the brighter of the three. They all have beams quite similar to sf incand beams.

-david

Hello cheapo:)

Since he was spoken from a 20 hour runtime range neither the L5 nor the L6 could fit the bill. The U2 could but it's IMO too unreliable with all their problems.

Best regards

____
Tom

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm 20hr range... i would definately reccomend the u2 (you'll only get 20 hrs on the second setting [6 lumens]).... mine works like a champ.... but many of them have donut holes, mine included.... it really isnt a big deal imho... my u2 is very reliable... i took it on a rafting trip and I took it for 3hr long swims in the river, long night hikes... and no problems at all. U2 is the way to go imho.

-David

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 2 Surefire U2's without any problems, and they are both very reliable, very bright, and the donut hole is not an issue. With the 6 levels of brightness adjustments you will get the 20 hrs on level 2 and 40 hours on level 1. Level 1 still gives you plenty of light in total darkness with 2 lumens...most people complain it's too bright at 2 lumens.

The main problem with the Surefire U2 is only the tailcap, but Surefire will send you a new tailcap if you have any problems. I do not have any tailcap problems or any other problems. Good Luck on you decision!!!!

Long John said:
Hello cheapo:)

Since he was spoken from a 20 hour runtime range neither the L5 nor the L6 could fit the bill. The U2 could but it's IMO too unreliable with all their problems.

Best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashKat said:
I own 2 Surefire U2's without any problems, and they are both very reliable, very bright, and the donut hole is not an issue. With the 6 levels of brightness adjustments you will get the 20 hrs on level 2 and 40 hours on level 1. Level 1 still gives you plenty of light in total darkness with 2 lumens...most people complain it's too bright at 2 lumens.

The main problem with the Surefire U2 is only the tailcap, but Surefire will send you a new tailcap if you have any problems. I do not have any tailcap problems or any other problems. Good Luck on you decision!!!!

Hello Cheapo and FlashKat:)

I know that my statement was critical (a lot U2 owners here:whistle:).

But take a look what I said:"....The U2 could but it's IMO too unreliable with all their problems."
So the U2 could fit the bill. It's bright and has the requested runtime. BUT like you said FlashKat, there were problems with the tailcap. For me it's unreliable to get a broken tailcap in a situation where I must trust my light. And then it's useless for me to send the tailcap to SF (or call them) and wait (in my case now 2 months after 2 E-mails and 3 calls, still waiting) for another one.
Also for changing the brightness levels to twist the head is not reliable. (here are reports about this).

I'm really glad that you are happy with your U2's and I'll hope it will be still so in the future.
But I does'nt want recommend that light, if a thread starter is looking for a reliable light with the title to:"....best quality light".

Best regards

____
Tom

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gladius is $200, but I think it's comparable to the other flashlights mentioned so far. It has more dimming levels than the U2, a lower "low" (0.8 lumens) than the U2, more throw than the U2, and significantly less light on "high" than the U2. It also has a strobe mode and a lockout.

You might also consider the McLuxIII PD or FireFly series. The higher-end Elektrolumens lights are very bright, but they're unregulated.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i hadnt heard about others having problems, i would never had thought the u2 to ever have issues.... but after you bend the tabs, the tailcap is as reliable as they get imho.

-David

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
The U2 looks like what I need - I'll order direct from SF. Even is there was a reliability problem with the U2, wouldn't SF have fixed it by now ???? - Can anyone speculate when SF might upgrade to an even more efficient LED?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an idea...save about $265 and get a streamlight 3C Luxeon! Or get 2.

ALso check out Wolf Eyes..they have a big head version..and a new model..Microfire? I thinK...listed as 130 lumens for a Led.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
honestly, i wouldnt worry about it.... just remember to bend the tabs, and chances are the u2 will work like a charm. A donut hole is, more or less, inevitable though.

-David

X Racer

Enlightened
You won't find anything with 100 lumens that will last for 20 hours, at least not on any normal battery capacity. I would go with the Surefire L6 if I was you, and keep a SF battery carrier full of spares.