How to upgrade my maglite 4d?

erikl

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new here :)

I currently have 2 maglites, a 6D and a 4D.
I use them regularly while geocaching. While I was out in the woods last night, I thought that it might be nice to get the maglite a bit brighter.

While browsing the web I soon found 3 and 5 watt led replacements for the maglite that might be nice, but thought there had to be something better out there.
than I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/11-Watt-LED-Luxeon-Drop-In-for-MagLite-3C-3D-4C-4D_W0QQitemZ150005654621QQihZ005QQcategoryZ106987QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought it was pretty cool, until I found this forum with lots of flashlight info :) Now I know there are things like a trilux, Pentalux and tesla-6

What I want is to get my (or just a new) maglite as bright as possible. I do however not want to have anything bigger as a 4D (the 6D is just too long, keeps hitting my knee when I wear it on a belt, and doen't fit in my backpack)

I am however not sure what the brightest soluting is (or where to get it)
A lot of solutions are talking about lumens and lux, any idea how much a stock 4D would give?

In this topic the topicstarter said: "The Brightest: Mag 100 with 12 cells, 100 watt Osram bulb, Internal Regulator"
Sound cool, but I have no idea what it is, or where I could get it.

So any ideas what I should do?

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. You have just opened a can of worms by coming to this forum. If you want to mod a maglite there are lots of options but i would advise not to go for the mag100(100 watt's) without experience. I do not own one but they will smoke paper in a couple of seconds and i've heard someone say that it is brighter than there car headlights. Search for ROP and MAG85 for some serious light(these will make your 6D maglite look like a candle) Leds are a good option aswell although not to everyone's taste i would recommend giving them a try. I own a very nice TRI LUX and it is my favourite light. Good luck searching.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to CPF!

Why do you want to stay with the 4D sized Mag? If you were open to smaller lights, you would have many more choices.

erikl

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replys!
I've been looking into that mag100 and the "borealis" maglate, but that's something I shouldn't get. I've already forgot to put off the maglite when it was standing upside down, something you don't want to do when it can burn paper.

NelsonFlashlites: I don't necesary need a 4D, if you can get more light out of a smaller one than that's even better.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
If your not bothered about changing the body of your light i would go for 2D ROP. Very nice size package, puts out very very descent amount of light and is not to expensive(the last comment depends on what you consider expensive)

4D223

Newly Enlightened
G'Day Erikl,

Welcome to cpf, I am also new to torch/flashlight modding and am slowly but surely getting a lot of information and advice from fellow CPF members. They are a fantastic bunch and really know their stuff. I think some of these guys could teach "Maglite" a thing or two. If you go with an ROP it sounds like an awsome light to start your modding with. Good luck and send in some beam shots when that baby is lit up!

erikl

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into it, and that ROP solution seems not too dificult and expensive, might want to try that. I couldn't find much about the supplys for it, a problem might be that I live in the Netherlands. (would probably be easyer if you can buy the pre modded- but I couldn't find any place to buy them, except for this mag85: http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail.asp?section=Super Mag&prod=MLS3D016A)

I'm also still interessted in the tesla-6 light. I've seen that there also are 3D versions of it. How do they compare in brightness to a 6D tesla-6?
A tesla-6 might not be as bright as a ROP, but will probably last longer with the batteries, and will not get too hot (I have to wear it on my belt).

My budget for a upgrade or a new mag is about $150

erikl

Newly Enlightened
I'm almost sure about what I'm going to do.
After thinking about it, I've decided that I want a pre-modded maglite. Lathough modding it yourself is probably a lot of fun, I don't have enough time to get into it right now, and getting the supplys for it here in the netherlands might prove difficult.

But I still want a very powerfull flashlight, with the solid construction of the maglite body.

So I've decide that it's either going to be a 3D tesla-6 from electrolumesn, or a mag85 from light-edge.com

They're both in the same price range, but the mag85 is almost twice as bright according to the lumens the advertise with. Although the tesla-6 might be bright enough too, 432 lumesns is already a lot more than the stock 50 lumens.
Is 432 lumens enough to make people say "wow":drool: (not that tha's really neccesary, but for the ammount of money, it would be nice :grin2:)

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
432 lumens will make people say wow trust me on that. My TRI LUX is in the region of 300 lumens and people are always impressed with that especially when you tell them it's only a couple of LED's

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erik,
Since you're a new member, and this is your first mod, i'd be willing to help you out by collecting parts to help you build an ROP. You'd probably still be within your budget as well. Let me know if yuo're interested. An ROP will end up being cheaper than a Mag85 and is a better mod for a first time hotwire. Since to actually go a Mag85 "properly" take quite a bit of work and funds.

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
I went the LED route with my 4D Mag. I fitted a Hotlips heatsink, Lux III and downboy 917 all from the shoppe. It gives me plenty of regulated light, batteries last forever, and I never have to worry about replacing bulbs... It was my first mod, and could not have been more simple.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like a 4D Li-Ion powered Osram '138. More power than X990 and instant on!
Starts fires and runs near 50 minites. 3500 Lumen! TOOOOO Bright! Regulated too, NO drop in intensity till dead.
buttrock.gif

DSCN4158.JPG

thezman

Enlightened
erikl,

What type of batteries are use planning on using? Alk, Nimh?
Most of the hotwires require the use of Nimh or Li Ion, as the aklalines don't work so well in these types of lights.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Light is powered by AW's Lithium ION 5 amp hour D size cell. Very unfortunately they are made of a metal known presently as UNOBTANIUM:rant:

I will take a dozen as soon as thet are around...:awman:

They ROCK! Best cells ever!!!!

erikl

Newly Enlightened
thezman said:
erikl,

What type of batteries are use planning on using? Alk, Nimh?
Most of the hotwires require the use of Nimh or Li Ion, as the aklalines don't work so well in these types of lights.

I'm probably going to use nimh batteries from GP (2700 mAh)