What's up with all the lights?

xring

Newly Enlightened
As you can see in my signature, I have a few lights. The problem is, I've purchased them all in the last 2 weeks, besides the last 2 listed. I've had others which have come and gone, but now I'm current. I see a need for a couple of lantern type, but that's about it.
So my question is...what am I missing besides a search light which I don't really need?
ps: Forgot I have an Arc-P also.

Last edited:

xring

Newly Enlightened
I think the Dominator qualifies as a search light!
Now I have to research a Gladius. Thanks!

xring

Newly Enlightened
Right now, the highest power incan I can see my self owning is a PG X3, much less a HID. I'm wanting a SF K3 head on something for the run time.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
maybe a MrBulk Chameleon set then, complete with the various heads and battery tubes, and delrin battery tube caps.

The heads provide for varying beam characteristics. The "4+1" current tables, with 5 levels within each (all regulated) along with the different battery tubes provide for a variety of runtimes certain to suit almost all needs. The light can also operate in ceiling bounce with the head or in "real" candle mode with the head removed and LED bare. Or alternatively, the battery tube caps can also fit on as a "head" provide a lantern mode (though running it on the highest levels with the delrin cap is not recommended due to heat dissipation issues--the delrin actually seems to insulate).

limitations is that it requires a single li-on cell (and only that) to run at spec, and its water resistance--it is splashable but probably not dunkable.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need a u2... 6 stages..... very useful.

-David

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy, buy, buy. Now where is the satisfaction in that?
You need to get the parts for, say an ROP or M*g 100 or some such lighting tool, and put it together yourself. You are not doing it for the "illumination tool", but out of a need to work with your hands and build something.:whistle:

xring

Newly Enlightened
Hogokansatsukan - Which one of these would be best attached to my Vepr?
(really - none are worthy @300 yds!)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a good Lux V light--U2, L4, L2. I'd first suggest the L4 or L2, so you can experience the celebrated "wall of light" of the Lux V. A Mag85 would also be a good choice, but a smaller hotwire might be a little handier. L4 or L2, yep, that's what you need.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
xring said:
...I see a need for a couple of lantern type, but that's about it. So my question is...what am I missing besides a search light which I don't really need?..
You have some good lights, but no variable-output light (except the Eternalight), no headlamp, and no compact 1x CR123A luxeon light. Also no really high-powered light.

The HDS U60 is on sale for $125: http://www.batterystation.com/hds-edcflashlights.htm. It's one of the best lights ever made.

The Surefire U2 is expensive but very bright and has six output levels. IMO it's worth it: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_u2.htm

My favorite inexpensive headlamp is the Streamlight Argo HP. Very lightweight, powerful, two output levels: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_argohp.htm

Elektrolumens makes some really powerful LED lights, this one with 800 emitter lumens: http://elektrolumens.com/K2-Stunner/K2-Stunner.html

xring

Newly Enlightened
I'm appreciating all the responses and links. Very cool.
I'm thinking a reliable 5w with good run time. I would even sacrifice the convenience of a smaller torch to one that uses C's or D's this time. I want a bright flood that brings daylight out to 30' or so with good regulation.
I almost pulled the trigger on the HDS, but am sort of a k.i.s.s. sort. I would always feel the need for a back up to one of those due to complexity. I'm sure it's great for 99% of buyers who want something like that.
I sort of went overboard with the Peaks lately (dropped too much $:drool: ) but they are flexible with the extra bodies etc...
I'm going to keep my eye on Pentagonlight. Compared side by side with my SF's, they are not wanting for anything, besides run time IMO, but they seem to "put out" more than a comparable SF in the example I have.
Thanks again...

Buckeye

Enlightened
How about a Turbo head for your 9P?
You did not mention batteries. Do you have rechargeables for your 9P? 17500, 300S or 150B batteries, the thinner ones, will give you guilt free lumens. That's one reason I bought my Wolf Eyes 9D Raider. It has the wider body and takes the thicker 150A batteries. I haven't spent any money on throw-away batteries for it.
Doug