SureFire out of U2s? :(

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly, I ordered my U2 about this time last year. It was backorder then, and took a long time to arrive. When finally it did, the tailswitch promptly jammed and I had to send it back for RMA. That took another forty days. I eventually got a working U2 by the middle of January.

I love my U2. It's a great light. But be prepared to wait if you want to buy one. :(

Miracle

Enlightened
I got word from SureFire that they are currently making the U2 parts.

hence when they eventually ships, it should have all issues resolved as it is of the latest batch

thats what i wanted

:grin2:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is totally understandable. When you get it, make sure you post how it turns out for you. I hope you get a keeper. :)

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
I guess this means I'm going to have a wait a long time to get my replacement tailcap (that failed out of the box). :rant:

I've got a $270 paperweight now - yes I did try to fix it by bending the tabs. No dice. It would work for a few clicks then go back to intermittent - meaning I can press hard on the button to get it to light up, but when released it goes off. :thumbsdow

I'm not happy, my temper is about to flare up... :mad:

Loomy

Enlightened
PacketStorm said:
I guess this means I'm going to have a wait a long time to get my replacement tailcap (that failed out of the box). :rant:

I've got a $270 paperweight now - yes I did try to fix it by bending the tabs. No dice. It would work for a few clicks then go back to intermittent - meaning I can press hard on the button to get it to light up, but when released it goes off. :thumbsdow

I'm not happy, my temper is about to flare up... :mad:

There have been multiple different problems with the tail cap. The tab thing is electrical and simple. Just no circuit made.

Another problem, and the one I had with my U2, was that the clicking mechanism wacked out. That is to say, it clicked in and wouldn't click anymore. Or it clicked out and wouldn't click in. One suggested solution is to push it as hard as you can, because part of the mechanism became unseated, and this might reseat it.

In my case it was going haywire regardless of how I pressed it in. So I taped up some plyers and unscrewed the cap. I disassembled the entire thing. I didn't see anything wrong because disassembling it unseats the mechanism from whatever state it is in. Whatever happened before or after this process, the switch worked fine after I put it back together. It's worked fine for a month or two now since. And it's a good thing too, because after all this time, the new tailcap from Surefire has yet to arrive. :\

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
Loomy: Yep, I took my tailcap apart as well. I used a pair of circlip pliers in the multiple end holes of the cap - easily unscrewed.

However, no matter how many things I bent or adjusted it just wouldn't stay working. I could get it to work for a while, 5 - 10 clicks, then it would start acting up.

I'm quite disappointed in SureFire though. This is totally unacceptable to have this many people having problems because:

1. They don't seem to have any desire to redesign the horrific tailcap
2. This is a known problem since what, the 5000 s/n range? (According to posts here on CPF)
3. My U2 s/n is 10,000+ so they've shipped over 5000 units with this craptacular tailcap
4. SF have no sense of urgency (as evidenced by you, me and others here on CPF) to get replacement parts into the hands of new, unhappy customers - QUICKLY

Can we ever trust SureFire again???? Damn, if only Henry had the U85 or U120 on the market - I would send this U2 back and stick with HDS from now on!!!!

I'm sorry guys...no more SureFire lights for me. I'm done! The lack of support as well as the unwillingness to address an obvious problem really aggravate me. I can't believe I spent $270 on a light and it failed, straight out of the box, within 5 minutes! :rant:

On top of that, since this is my first flashlight "failure" - EVER, how will I ever trust this light? I'm going to have to have a spare, readily available and easily accessible at all times when going out into the woods, etc. That is NOT the way it should be.

I apologize to all you SF supporters and cheerleaders - I don't want to inflame you guys. It's all good, I used to be like you - really! But, taking a $270 out of the box, having it die within 5 minutes, all the while knowing there is a design issue, then having SureFire take their lazy assed time getting a replacement (no mention was give to me by CS that they were short on parts or to expect a significant delay) does not give me the warm fuzzies.

I don't think it fully sinks in until *YOU* are the one holding the dead, VERY expensive flashlight in your hands that you have NOT been able to use for three weeks since getting it because you are still waiting on parts. Totally unacceptable for an almost $300 flashlight no matter how you slice it - end of story.
:dedhorse:

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
Really? Have you asked them?

Read that again...that wasn't a factual statement. I said, "...they don't SEEM to have..."

No, I didn't ask them, but isn't it pretty obvious that they've shipped 5,000 units and haven't done a thing about it??????

They sure don't seem too concerned...

Last edited:

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
PacketStorm said:
It would work for a few clicks then go back to intermittent - meaning I can press hard on the button to get it to light up, but when released it goes off.

I had the exact same problem after perhaps 100 clicks. It merely needed lubrication. I used Krytox 50/50 and used a toothpick to let it drip into the holes inside the tailcap at the base of the spring. I kept trying to click the tailcap and it started catching again.

Size15's

Flashaholic
PacketStorm said:
Read that again...that wasn't a factual statement. I said, "...they don't SEEM to have..."

No, I didn't ask them, but isn't it pretty obvious that they've shipped 5,000 units and haven't done a thing about it??????

They sure don't seem too concerned...

I was just checking whether you had, or whether you were assuming... SureFire's Engineering Dept have been working on improving the Clickie TailCap for a long time (these things take far longer than we might imagine).

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
I was just checking whether you had, or whether you were assuming... SureFire's Engineering Dept have been working on improving the Clickie TailCap for a long time (these things take far longer than we might imagine).

Sorry man...I didn't mean to take on the tone in my reply. I thought you were being harsh when you asked, "Really? Have you talked to them." :)

I really, REALLY didn't want anyone to get aggravated with my opinion of SF, they are well respected. However, you've got to admit this is a pretty bad black eye!

It's all good - But to answer your question more respectfully, no, I haven't talked to anyone at SF. Although I did send an e-mail to SF CS and CC'ed Paul Kim. I never got a response from either. Not sure what the deal is... :shrug:

Size15's

Flashaholic
In re-designing the Clickie TailCap I suspect that SureFire are making sure that any new version performs better over a longer period of time and that means more testing taking longer of far more units.

Al