Photon II Run Time Using 2032

Bearcat

Enlightened
Does anyone know the battery life of a Photon II 2x bright using a single 2032 battery? How does the battery life and brightness compare with the yellow, red, blue, green and orange using a single 2032 battery?

paulr

Flashaholic
I dunno if anyone has had the patience to do a 2032 test all the way to the end. My green P2 came with a 2032 installed (they went to 2x2016 later) and I've set up some white-led coin cell lights with 2032's. I'd say a white led with 2032 is less bright than the red P2 with 2032 (longer wavelengths need lower voltage) and probably less bright than the yellow (which is not very bright) or the green (quite usable). It's certainly usable with a 2032.

With 2x2016 a white Fauxton that I tested was still running (but dim) after 5 solid days, and its output was fairly reasonable after 8+ hours. The 2032 output was probably something like that (i.e. comparable to 2x2016 after 8 hours). I haven't done a measurement but I'll take a wild guess that the 2032 gets maybe 2 mA through the led, which would put its runtime in the 100+ hour range. In practice it would be much longer, since the current would drop to 1 mA, 0.5 mA and so forth, but still be putting out enough light even at those levels to navigate in pitch darkness.

Remember that the original Photon Microlight was a successful product that ran on one 2025, that they later upgraded to a 2032. The use of 2x2016 to get much higher output was originally discovered by modders. 1x2032 is a definitely usable configuration.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have a red Photon II that I bought years ago. It's still as bright as new and on the original 2032 battery. I've used it everyday.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
I have a red Photon II that I bought years ago. It's still as bright as new and on the original 2032 battery. I've used it everyday.

My experienece shows that you do not perceive the dimming of the light due to such intermitten use.
difference could be quite noticeable if new cells were inserted, especially after extended period of time with daily intermitten use.
JMHO, YMMV

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the same red and white photons for probably close to 15 years now, and while I doubt they are used every day, they are used very often. I changed battery in the white one, one time in my memory, and I have never changed the reds battery.

Bearcat

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
I have had the same red and white photons for probably close to 15 years now, and while I doubt they are used every day, they are used very often. I changed battery in the white one, one time in my memory, and I have never changed the reds battery.

When you say that you changed the "battery" in your white led Photon are you meaning to say one battery or two? I heard that some of the older ones came with one battery.

InfidelCastro

Banned
webley445 said:
My experienece shows that you do not perceive the dimming of the light due to such intermitten use.
difference could be quite noticeable if new cells were inserted, especially after extended period of time with daily intermitten use.
JMHO, YMMV

Red LED's are very efficient. There would probably be a slight difference if I were to put in a new battery, but the light is still extremely bright right now the way it is with the original. I will probably try a new battery here someday, hopefully I'll remember to report back in this thread my findings.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think they made Photons in 1991, so 15 years may be a bit much.

Bearcat, tell you what, I have a Countycomm white light with a 2032 in it. PM me your address and I'll send it to you, so you can test it all you want. Your part of the deal is to post the results here of any tests you might do. OK? :)

Bearcat

Enlightened
paulr said:
I don't think they made Photons in 1991, so 15 years may be a bit much.

Bearcat, tell you what, I have a Countycomm white light with a 2032 in it. PM me your address and I'll send it to you, so you can test it all you want. Your part of the deal is to post the results here of any tests you might do. OK? :)

Thank you for the kind offer, but I already have some 2032 batteries coming in the mail. I am game to do some testing, but since I have no testing equipment, it will be just leaving it on and watching the clock type test. I was hoping that someone else had already done the test and I would not have to be watching a clock for days. I will post my findings if no one post the answer that I need.

Bearcat

Enlightened
ViReN said:
check out this thread... I have done some Coin Cell Runtime Tests.... If i am not wrong, I believe Photon II is a DD Setup.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/126614

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. I have just become a big fan of led lights and needless to say that I am hooked. There are alot of questions that I have and hopefully someone else needed know just as badly as me.

1) How much longer runtime do you get in energy saving mode on the Freedom?
2) How does the other colored leds that normally uses a 2032 compare to a white led using a 2032?
3) Just how long does the Freedom's slow blink mode last in each color?
4) How do the fauxton clones compare to Photons in runtime and brightness?
5) Where can you buy replacement leds for the Photons and Freedoms?
6) What is the best Photon II clone and where do you buy it?
7) What is the best replacement led made for Photons?
8) Do the cheap priced coin batteries have the same runtime as the brand name ones? Has anyone done any testing?

Those are the first few things that pop into my mind? It may be silly to some, but if I am ever in life boat and someone ask me how long will my light bink ..... I will be smiling ear to ear when I tell them how many days and to stop worrying that it is going to run out of power before we are recused.

paulr

Flashaholic
Bearcat: 1) the energy saving modes last longer in proportion to their duty cycle; see the Photon 3 review at ledmuseum.org for a graph that you can extrapolate to the Freedom
2) They are brighter since they expect lower voltage to begin with
3) Probably quite a long time (getting progressively dimmer) but if you're thinking of a Freedom as a signalling device, you're probably better off looking elsewhere
4) Fauxtons are very bright and last a long time, but get dimmer as the batteries run down, just like any light of this type.
5) You should never have to replace the led in a Photon and so there are no "official" ones sold, but in fact you can install any 5mm led by trimming and bending the leads appropriately if you want to do that. I once asked LRI customer service about buying some colored leds and they sent me a few for free, if that helps.
6) Matter of opinion, but if you want the best possible Photon II clone, why not a real Photon II?
7) Matter of opinion but why not a real one? LRI uses the Nichia CS leds which are very efficient and durable but tend to have a blue cast. Some people like the Peak "snow" leds and similar leds that have more neutral color.
8) the cheap coin cells aren't quite as good as the expensive ones but in an application like this, there's no point paying 10x as much for 20% more juice. Just stash a few spare lights, or use an AA-powered light or something.

I'm probably as much of a coin light connoisseur as anyone but I think you're fussing about this a little too much. The Photon II is a top quality light that's kind of expensive and has well known limitations. Fauxtons, Countycomm slide lights etc. are cheap alternatives with the same limitations and maybe some slight further compromises, that cost a lot less and are great as disposable EDC's or cheap gifts. The Freedom fixes the Photon II's limitations and adds a lot of features, but as a result becomes a computerized gadget that's to some people's tastes but not to others. Finally, if you want an indestructable keychain light, you should also consider the Arc AAA or something comparable. These are bigger than coin lights but are much more durable and are much easier to replace batteries for.