What do you think about the impact of the new Mini-Mag LED lights?

How do you think the new Mini-Mag lights will be accepted?

• They will sell in very large numbers and be accepted readily

Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Few people will pay that much for light when they can still buy the old lights

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • It will likely produce small sales at first, but probably catch on in time

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • I'm not sure how all this will pan out

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see what people think of these new lights and how they will they be accepted by the public in the LED flashlight market.

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although as a Flashaholic I think they are a reasonable buy for the money, I'm not sure how well they'll penetrate the "average user" market. It seems like <$20 is the magic point for a lot of small item sales. I think the price point alone will restrict how many people purchase these lights without having seen them first. And a large number of people may not be willing to spend over $20 no matter how good it is. But if they ever get the price down to that magical $19.99, I think they'll have a real winner.

nuggett

Enlightened
Mag has a winner in these LED lights. Big improvement over the incan Mags.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the higher price will phase the majority of "regular folk". While the higher prices (even at Target or Walmart) of some other LED flashlights like Dorcy or Inovas will make "regular folk" balk and bewilder (not to mention the higher priced ones that the department stores don't carry), it won't matter how much Maglite charges, as long as it's a Maglite, the "regular folk" will think that the price is right and that they're getting their money's worth.

That's the power Maglite seems to have over the "regular folk". The LED Maglites will sell very well, and may even revolutionize the industry (or at least, revolutionize the marketing), despite the fact that they're several years late into the market and a few years behind the technology curve. The benifit to the rest of the industry will be that the "regular folk" will eventually get de-sensitized to the "higher" cost of LED lights (compared to the cheap incandescents they're used to) and other companies will see increases in their own sales both because of and despite the fact that their competetor is entering the market (and breaking it open).

Anyway, that's what I predict.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly don't think they will sell all that well from the start. The main reason being that the average person won't realize that they are so much better than the older Incan version. They figure that both lights look similar and one costs roughly 3X as much. If people only realized that the new MagLED's are more than 3x as bright as the older version and still have much better battery life, then they would be more likely to buy them.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they will have a rather quick ramp up in sales after starting off a bit slow. The first buyers are flashaholics (of course) and the folks that always buy the best Mags. The ramp up will be when Mag makes one of their commercials showing the light crashing down a rocky cliff, a guy picks up it and it lights! WOW!

Then the guy will ADJUST the beam (patented beam, excuse me) they pan back and talk about the "new ultra-high power LED used exclusively with Mag technology". Available now for those that demand the highest performance in lighting tools.

MAG...the endless pursuit of perception (tm All aspects of this flashlight are patented including shape, size, color, beam adjustment, Mag name, special aluminum alloys, name around the bezel, regulators and packaging. No lawyers were hurt in the making of this commercial) FADE OUT

Since there are power failures, it is now getting darker... MagLEDs might be the new flashlight bling. For $24 I'll even pick up one (and mod it) when I get back across the pond.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the UK end, Maglite is probably the only name that the average 'punter' recognizes as a 'quality product'...they'll be willing to pay the extra few quid once they understand/are convinced that they will never have to replace a bulb and believe they are getting the best flashlight that money can buy.

They should (eventually) do well.

CFU

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how they will do initially, but I suspect that once M/\G has told Joe Sixpack that these LED thingies are the real deal for the future -- he'll buy into it.

In the long run I don't think M/\G can lose. In ten years the majority of flashlight users will swear that M/\G invented the first LED flashlight and M/\G will be the de-facto standard that all LED lights will be compared to in the real world. (outside CPF)

I didn't mean for that to sound so glum -- I actually think it will be good for nearly everyone.

Spordin

Enlightened
I think they will sell well right from the start. Mag has *huge* name recognition, and if the light is of decent quality and relatively bright (haven't seen one yet), within 2 years it will own the same share of the entry-level LED market that it now enjoys with the incan market. Say goodbye to the old bulb lights. :wave:

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Most people think MAG is the end all be all of lights, we all know that. I do quite a lot of hiking, and in nearly all the shops they sell Swiss army knives (which are excellent ;)) and they sell Maglights, thats pretty much it.

I cringe when people only think that MAG is it, and there is nothing else, i politely inform them they are mistaken and tell them of the world of light! Especially when i get out my U2 to use and they go "Oh is that a maglight" i reply with "no, its most certainly is NOT a maglight!"

Craig.

Coop57

Enlightened
It is amazing how little the "regular people" know about flashlights. I have friends who spend big bucks on all sorts of guns, knives, cars, boats etc...
But mention a $60.00 tactical style flashlight and they look at you like your from another universe. I tell them about LED lights and their faces glaze over.
I am glad I am one of the enlightend.

bestcounsel

Enlightened
You know i was sort of excited when they came out with the 2AA and 3aaa mag leds, but after seeing some of the reviews, i am not too excited anymore. In my opinion, they did not or do not care about what consumer wants. The lights are longer than the original 2aa's and most if not all of us light guys desire shorter more compact lights and they did the opposite.

I dont know.....

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
I just got mine the other day, a 2xAA. It's OK. Better than an Incan MAG, but it's also 3 times the price. I would have preferred the same size or shorter, if possible. It looks like they made it longer to, ummm, make it longer. It's just beyond what I would say compact carry, the incan was borderline.

I think they have to go under $15 to get general acceptance, since the incans can he had at like $7-$9 I think. Or, they should have changed the design a little, to make it look like a different and better light. (I know, the MAG design has sold 10 gazillion units.)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm another believer that it's gonna start out mostly with Flashaholics. When the commercials hit, and some joe six-pack types get some, word will spread.

It's gonna ramp up slow, and get better as it goes on.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that sales may start out a bit slow, but will get better after public exposure. Most people just do not understand paying more than $15.00 for a light. I think it will be exposure to the lights performance that will eventually help sales. Maybe I'm expecting too much of folks. Not sure. Do people think that still offering the old lights side by side with the new ones will hurt sales? Do you think that an $8.99 original mini mag that looks almost the same as the new models will keep people from buying?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm in the camp that thinks Mag will need to reduce the price and the size before it has much of a chance attracting many "normal" folks. Most don't appreciate the quality of the output like we do. They just need something that lights reliably on rare occasions and doesn't cost much. They keep their lights in the glove box or kitchen drawer and use them a few minutes a month at most. Granted, I'm kind of cheap and really like small lights. Right now I have no desire for one, mainly because it's too chunky, but price it around $15 and I might bite just for the novelty.

Geoff

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I think anything Mag will do well. I just got the 2aa and 3aa lights. They join my 2D mag led. All in all, they are what I would expect from Mag.
I think Mag has created a trusted brand name and the regular public will follow it.

I remember the River Rock 2aa from Target and it's initial 19.99 price. I still have it. I would have gladly paid the extra 4 bucks for the mag 2aa if I had the chance then.

If only mag could come out with a lantern........

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
They (MagLite) just need a few "Emergency Preparedness" news segments to showcase the value of their LED products. The news readers should pass along the fact that If your lights are going to be out just overnight, then an incad would suffice. If they could be out for longer than that, then the LED is a MUST.

Culhain

Enlightened
Last week I noticed that our building electrician was using a NiteIze equipped MiniMag. We talked a few minutes about the new MiniMag LED and he became excited. Next day he had one and was showing it to everyone. Based on this very limited example, I have a hunch that they will gain sales momentum very quickly.

Around here, folks that use a flashlight daily on the job, are already aware of the NiteIze drop ins and they are not well received. Once they understand that the new MiniMag LED is a huge step up sales well soar.