The Failure of a Pocketclip (or HDS owners, find a new way to carry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
I posted this in the HDS forum, but I think it can serve as a valueable lesson to anyone who carries a flashlight everyday. That lesson? Be wary of pocketclips.

A few months ago, I bought a U60XRGT just before it was discontinued back in late May. I enjoyed several months of good service from the light, and loved it, but now it's gone.

Sometime today, while I was out, my U60XRGT (which I carried in my pocket with the clip) slipped out of my pocket without my notice. I normally carried it in my left, front pocket, and I've almost never had problems with the clip. As soon as I realized it was gone, I backtracked everywhere I was that day looking for the light. After two hours of looking and driving around, I've given it up as gone.

I feel pretty bad about it, because it's almost like I had forewarning. About a week ago, it fell out of my pocket as I got out of the car after driving back home. That was the only problem I've ever had with the clip. I've gone hiking, walked probably two hundred miles since I got it, and it's always been fine. Even though the exsiting clip seemed ok, I got in on the new Arc4 style clip order being done in the group buys section. I also have a bezel and tritium in shipping for the light (that'll unfortunately never see it). I'll keep my order for the Arc4 style clip and keep the bezel and tritium around in case I can build up enough spare funds again to get another HDS light, but that won't happen anytime soon.

HDS owners, don't make the same mistake I did. The clip that comes with the HDS lights really doesn't cut it. If you carry it around, I highly recommend a sheath or lanyard with a clip to a belt loop or somesuch.

Status
Not open for further replies.