Mini Maglite LED 2AA with Badboy converter

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Not being overly impressed or convinced I was able to squeeze more current from the Mini Mag's Zetex converter, I replaced it with a Badboy 500ma Rev. 4 from The Sandwich Shoppe. Simply remove the existing converter and it's housing. Prep three wires for the mod. I used 30ga wire wrap, each being about 24mm in length and stripped 2mm at each end. Wires are needed for emitter + and - and for providing a ground connection from the Badboy converter to the emitter's metal carrier. I don't know what material is used for the carrier, but I do know I can't get regular 60/40 solder to adhere to it. Any input on this subject is appreciated, as even the adhesive copper foil used doesn't stick very well.

Once the wires are all connected, simply (and gently) twist the converter board to bring it up to the base of the emitter carrier. I'm getting 850ma current draw from a pair of Nimh cells. The beam is bright - greater than my B42XRGT at maximum - I estimate it's around 45 lumens. The hotspot isn't nearly as large as the B42's, however.

The mass of the carrier and it's contact with the light's body seems to be sufficient for heat disippation at the 500ma level. Note that the bottom of the carrier has to be insulated to avoid shorting componets on the converter:
detail1a.jpg

ELM

Last edited: