Help! E2L, or L1?

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I currently have 2 6Ps-one with P60 by bedside and one for "tactical" carry with the P61. I should today get an Arc AAA-P for my keychain. Now, I want an EDC with better runtime and decent throw for general use. Yes, the fever has hit.

Questions (hard to tell in a store!):

1. Is the L1 more of a flood? What head does it use and will I notice 22 lumens on high is way less versus 30 on the E2L? I like the idea of the low option but like the L1 even more for it's smaller size. L1=$135.

2. How does the narrow spot beam of the E2L's KL1 head compare to the throw of the 6P with P60? Will I light up the same corner of my back yard comparably using the E2L?

Edited to add:

3. Does anyone know if the "McE2s" two-stage tailcap switch mentioned in the KL1 review at flashlightreviews.com is still available or anything like it? Having a low option may clinch it for me with the E2E/KL1.

I actually prefer the shorter clip of the E2E so I'd probably go E2E+KL1 if I go that route, for about $96+$59=$155 total.

Any help, beamshots, or additional compare/contrasts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Nobody has experience with these two flashlights and an informed opinion to lend a newb? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff.

carrot

Flashaholic
Okay, I'll throw in my opinion. (And knowledge!)

The E2L and L1 have the same optics. The L1 is only a few less lumens, but has dual output levels, which makes it more versatile. I have the E1L, and personally, I'd use it a lot more if it were dual output. For a casual pocket light, having an F04 beamshaper makes the light even more useful, because a tight spot beam is not always desirable.

The Surefire 6P has better throw than the E1L. Additionally, because it's LED, color rendition is degraded the further the target you illuminate. But the E1L does compare fairly well to the Surefire A2, which has less throw than the 6P but is still useful at distances.

The McE2S is becoming increasingly rare, as it is not being made any more.

If you call Surefire customer service, they will send you a new clip of your choosing, long or short.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Carrot said, neither light is going to compare with the P60 for throw, but they do a fair job for what they are. I think you would like the L1. Some complain the low is too low, so you might consider what your needs are. And again as Carrot said, pick up an F04 diffuser as well, it will make your L1/E2L a very versitile light.

In the same price range though, you might also consider an HDS U60 (60 lumens), lots more options in an even smaller package with similar build quality to Surefire. :)

Last edited:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Carrot, thanks.

Do you think I'd "miss" the 8 lumen diff between the L1 and E2L? If you can't tell, I'm wanting to like the L1, since I like it's size better. But, I'm used to the 6P for any outdoor stuff, so I'm skiddish about cutting lumens in half to start with.

Thanks for whatever you can add.

Jeff.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have not compared the L1 and E2L directly, but I believe the difference, while noticeable side by side, will not have much of an impact on actual usage.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new L1 has slightly better regulation than the E1L also, but not as good as the E2L. I have the E1L right now and I like it, but I have an E2L body on the way from lighthound because its actually a little too small believe it or not. And I want the increased brighness, longer runtime and better regulation.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
KDOG3, by better regulation in the E2L over the L1, do you mean runtime at max lumens? If so, are you considering that the L1 is a 1 battery light versus 2 batteries for the E2L? Flashlightreviews says the L1 holds regulation for 1 hour and 45 mins. The KL1 on an E2 body holds regulation for 2 hours, 51 minutes, and on the E1 body, about 1 hour 29 minutes. So, for a one battery light the L1 seems to hold near max proportionally longer, albeit with a few less lumens.

In Cabelas I definitely could NOT tell the diff between an E1L and E2L side by side (5 lumen diff). Just wondering if I'll regret the L1's 22 lumens versus the E2L's 30.

Thanks,
Jeff.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats' a good point. But like I posted above you could always buy a Milky L1 from milkyspit and have an INSANELY bright L1 (like 60 lumens) that still has the low for battery conservation.

And yes, I'm aware that the E2L is 2 batts vs. the L1s' 1 batt. Also the L1 is 4.60 inches long - which is kinda long for a 1 cell light. The E2L is 5.25 inches long - not that much longer in reality, if size is a concern.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knockin' the L1 at all. I've come VERY close to getting one myself. Just comes down to personal choice I guess. Good luck with choosing!

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up an E2L and I think it's a great little light. The beam is a little square due to the lens design but once you get used to it it kind of grows on you.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Wait, maybe I've figured something out! I just got my Arc AAA-P, and it will be with me on my keyring always. So, Don't I sorta have the low light (but not too low or high) thing covered?! Maybe the L1 isn't necessary for its low light mode and even redundant?

I figure I can carry the Arc, plus my P1. Or, my Arc plus an E2L. Also, when wearing a concealment garment for OWB or IWB gun carry, I generally have my 6P/P61 in a belt holster.

So, I ask you ladies and gentlement of the jury, do I really need the low light setting of the L1?

(Thanks),
Jeff.

KAM

Newly Enlightened
The low is very low and a bit useless with such a tight spot IMO, the arc will be much better for when you need less light, i would get the E2L and a 17670 cell for free lumens

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the low mode is something you use often then you probably would want it on the L1 since it is much more user friendly than a keychain light. Btw, the L1 low is too tight for up close use and has no spill, so you need a diffuser on it. If the low is something you only will use now and then, then you will probably be better off with an E2L since it has better runtime and clicky instead of twisty switch.

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my E2L in the mail today, another argument for choosing it is that it can run on a 17670 Li-Ion cell. At least the one I got could, and it was not a thight fit either.
The bad thing is the switch, my jammed after a few clicks and can now not be used anymore. I also got a E1L and the switch on that works perfectly so far. So I think the L1 twisty switch may be more reliable.

Sigbjoern

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Decided!

I live in Fort Worth, near Cabelas. Yesterday I picked up an E2E, KL1 head, SC3 carrier, and MN02 low output lamp. So far, I'm carring with the MN02 lamp, but will switch to the KL1 soon. The only thing Cabelas didn't have was the F04 diffuser. I'll be ordering that soon. They did however have the red and blue lenses! The dept. mgr. said he's trying to stock alot of accessories. I told him the light diffuser was a better accessory...:cool:

Thanks for the help. Wanted to like the L1 but took one into a dark bathroom and decided the low was "too" low for me.

Later,
Jeff.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That MN02 lamp is very nice. I had one a while back and was suprised at how bright it seemed. The 2+hr runtime doesn't hurt either. I think its one of Surefires' most underestimated incan lamps. However, I think you'll like the KL1 better. Fantastic regulation, longer runtime, and a little brighter to boot.